Rice Cakes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Someone mentioned rice cakes in another thread, and it reminded me that I've been wanting to ask for suggestions on toppings. I actually love rice cakes--I think they're tasty and I love that they are only 35 calories each. As it is though, the only thing I put on top of them is peanut butter; they are very yummy with peanut butter. But to cover the top, it does take about a tablespoon of peanut butter and while this is ok sometimes, I figure there must be something else that I could be topping them with.

Suggestions?
  • Laughing cow lowfat cheese comes to mind. That stuff is pretty tasty, easy to spread, and less than 50 calories if memory serves.

Or skip the spreading on top, and go with the cakes that come in various flavors. They might have a few more calories, but are flavorful enough on their own that you don't have to doctor them up.
  • My favorite rice cake treat is to spread the cake with a little fat-free cream cheese, then top it with a slice of deli turkey.

Don't know why, I just like them that way.
  • You can put anything you like on them, make them like a sandwich.

Cream cheese & tomato's
    Tuna, egg, chicken, turkey salad
    Cheese
  • I LOVE RICE CAKES!

If I have plain ones I will spread some laughing cow cheese on them for a total of 70 calories. I was thinking about spreading some sf jam on them but haven't tired it yet.

Another one of my favorite snacks is getting either the chocolate rice cakes (50 calories) or the Cinnimon Toast rice cakes (45 calories I think) and spreading cool whip on top. It is a great low calorie dessert.
  • They taste like cardboard to me but then again I haven't had one in 15 years
  • baffled,
    Rice cakes are great! The flavored ones are good for a sweat snack for me. On plain ones I have melted 75% free Cabot Cheddar cheese and that is good. I lived on these rice cakes and diet pepsi when I was in my 20's and a stick figure!
    I also put jelly on the plain ones. FF cream cheese, and jelly or low fat PB and jelly. I have tasted the PB choc ones and they are also pretty good.
    Lisa
  • What kind of rice cakes are you finding with only 35 or 40 calories? The plain ones that I buy in the health food store have more like 75 calories! I'd love to find a lower calorie version!

Mel
  • Quaker lightly salted are 35 calories each. The Lundberg Farms ones I bought from the health food store were 70 also. They're heavier and denser than the Quaker.
  • Yeah, Quaker lightly salted.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm thinking about getting some lox and it with some (fat free) cream cheese on my rice cakes--like a pretend bagel. Yum!
  • I have the Little Suzies brand. They are skinny and made from brown rice and are 17 calories each. I eat them with plain tuna fish.
  • Cakes are my snack in the evening after dinner. I have found instead of rice cakes, kalmut cakes (a type of w.w grain) that are 22 calories a piece. I top them with a few sprays of no calorie butter spray, then spread a little bit of s.f jelly. I also am in love with putting just a small amount of s.f maple syrup on top after the butter spray. It is awesome!!!!
  • Yogachick-- who makes the kamut cakes? I don't think I've ever seen them, but they sound good and very nutritious!
  • What about hummus? That sounds good on a rice cake to me. Trader Joe's Eggplant Hummus is just 35 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • Ah, yes, I buy the Lundberg Farms ones also. Quaker is notorious among the Celiac community for having cross-contamination of wheat in their rice and oat products. I have to have gluten free. Thanks

Mel