ISO: recipes for really good veggie/bean/grain burgers

• Do you make your own veggie burgers? I'd love to have some good recipes. Currently the only burger/patty that I make is for Mediterranean Millet burgers that I posted in the Fat Smash forum. They are SO good I'd like to make more types of whole grain / veggie / bean patties. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to share?
  • That looks awesome. I would've never thought about making my own veggie burgers. If someone has a good bean burger, I'd be interested

I don't eat burgers often though and when I do they are california veggie burgers or garden burgers. Anything that doesn't try to be meat like
  • This may or may not be helpful, but a couple of years ago I made some black bean and zucchini burgers for vegetarians at a bbq I was hosting. They were pretty good. I don't have the recipe handy, but I think I mixed together black beans, grated zucchini, some red pepper, onions, cilantro, cumin, salt and probably some other spices, and then bound the lot together with egg white. The combo was really good and it would be worth experimenting with the basic bean/zucchini base to come up with yummy burger options.
  • That sounds like a really good combo I'll have to experiment. Zucchini season is almost here
  • These are my favorite ones. I add a little ground up oatmeal to make them firmer. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brocco-Burger/Detail.aspx
  • I found this recipe:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01...e-burgers.html

Based on it, I tried to make a modified bean burger but I think I had too much beans and not enough other stuff. I'm thinking I needed some shredded veggies or brown rice. I'm going to keep working on it though. For now, I have 9 quasi mushy bean burgers to play with Its more like a vegan sloppy joe than a burger.
  • Linda, what an interesting idea for broccoli slaw! That looks weird enough to try I'll remember the oatmeal trick, thanks!

Nelie, I have actually made those! I tried a few of the recipes from that site during my vegan experiment. They were pretty good. I made them twice, actually. The first time they were really good, the second time I tinkered and blew it

I just got a new cookbook called the Bold Vegetarian and it has some very unusual recipes that I'm anxious to try.

Sweet Potato and black bean burger with roasted yellow pepper sauce
    Sage, mushroom, buckwheat, and tempeh burgers
    Roasted corn and ancho plantain cakes topped with red pepper chipotle cream
    Lentil scallion fritters with feta cheese

Then there's pasta, polenta, veggies, soups, sandwiches - all using very bold flavors. I'm making my grocery list now
  • I have a couple that I love:

Blackeyed Pea Patties (black eyed peas, corn, onions, cumin) - awesome in a wrap with lettuce, tomatoes and a little avacado...I make these in bulk, and freeze them before cooking - they hold up well
    Chickpea Walnut Burgers - very hearty and good on a bun (a little higher in fat, but walnuts are so good for you that having these on occasion is okay)
    Moroccan Chickpea Patties (chickpeas and fennel....very fancy, not really a burger)

Those websites seem cool - I will check them out. I need recipes that I can make in bulk, freeze and then pull out individually. Veggie burgers are good options for me.

I have "Vive le Vegan" - I can't remember the author's name, but she also wrote "The Everyday Vegan" - awesome recipes in there. If you're looking for healthy desserts, she's got some great ones (along with vegan versions of choc. chip cookies and peanut butter/chocolate bars that are better than dairy/egg versions, IMHO)

I also love veggie burgers because you can crumble them in a salad, eat in a wrap or drizzle with some homemade sauce and eat as an entree.
  • Carrie, would you mind posting an example of a healthy vegan dessert? I have "Vegan with a Vengeance" and she has desserts in their and she tells you how to limit the fat but they still have lots of sugar. I'm wondering if your book has ones with limited sugar? Of course I really don't need a dessert but I'd like to try a "healthy" one.

I forgot to mention that DH loved my black bean burgers. He said they were much better than the burgers you buy in the store. As I said, they were a bit mushy so I have to figure out how to demush them.

Edit - I searched to try to find a "healthy" vegan dessert. I came up with this one which is not what I'd classify as healthy but OH MY it sounds soo good.

http://healthycooking.suite101.com/a...utter_tofu_pie

I am going to have to try it sometime.
  • It's funny that they listed it as a vegan dessert when it has butter I agree, though, it sounds really good
  • Suzanne, I totally missed the butter! I wonder if there is vegan butter?
  • I've bought Soy Garden vegan margarine and it was very tasty