3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   popcorn toppings? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/108732-popcorn-toppings.html)

just_a_dreamy1 04-01-2007 05:28 PM

popcorn toppings?

What is a relatively healthy topping for air-popped popcorn?

I already know about the sprays, but they have never worked for me.

I WAS using olive oil, but I just realized that I had mistakenly thought that it was 90 cal per TB and it's actually 80 cals per 2 tsp! That means that last night I consumed a HUGE amount of calories and fat:(

I also tried Celeb diet margarine, and it was SO gross!

Any suggestions other then that would be appreciated:)

LindseyLouWho 04-01-2007 05:46 PM

Well, there's that buttery sprinkle stuff, Molly McButter I believe it's called.

However, there's stuff other than traditional butter flavoring, such as maybe a little garlic salt? Lowry's makes a great one that has parsley chopped in it that I use all the time... or at least I did until I started keeping a closer eye on my salt.

If you've got a sweet tooth, you could try doing a "kettle corn" type thing, using Splenda or another sweetener on top and tossing it (important that it's mixed well or else some pieces will be VERY sweet).

Glory87 04-01-2007 06:45 PM

I usually buy the 100 calorie kettle corn bags (I like sweet and salty) but a little bit of grated parmesan is good on air popped popcorn.

canadian mom 04-01-2007 07:15 PM

I use popcorn seasoning (kernels brand) It is about 30 cals for 2 tps I believe. Lokk at your supper market by the popcorn (mine is on the top shelf)

nomorefatpants 04-01-2007 09:05 PM

I use kernel seasons toppings. Hmm, maybe i'll make popcorn :)

RememberHowToSmile 04-01-2007 10:24 PM

I use the ff parkay spray. It doesn't taste gross to me so it might be the brand you chooses, I'd try other brands.

If I'm in a sweet mood then I'll add some cinnimon and spleda to it.

I have heard of other people putting parmasan cheese or taco seasoning on popcorn too.

just_a_dreamy1 04-01-2007 10:59 PM

I should have been more specific...

I didn't mean dry toppings, I meant something to use in place of butter, margarine or olive oil.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though! I actually tried some italian dressing with no salt added tonight, and it was pretty good. I also love Kernels.

LindseyLouWho 04-02-2007 02:59 AM

RemeberHowToSmile, I had never even thought about putting cinnamon on popcorn! The taco seasoning sounds great, too! Thanks for the ideas!

dollypie 04-02-2007 11:20 AM

The best topping ever is parmasean cheese! If gives it a great taste!

AquaWarlock 04-02-2007 02:07 PM

just use olive oil in less amounts? (it's 120 vs. 90 per tablespoon, based on your mistaken calculation) -- I also love garlic powder (not to be mistaken with garlic salt) and parmesan cheese, but a little oil/butter is needed to help the seasoning stick.

Katheryne 04-02-2007 04:15 PM

I found a butter-type spray made by Becel the last time I was at the grocery store. It has 0 calories per 5 sprays, and it's not in an aerosol can, so it doesn't have the propellants.

I haven't tried it on popcorn yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't be good; when I try it, I'm going to lightly coat the popcorn with the spray and then toss it with a little garlic powder and basil.

just_a_dreamy1 04-02-2007 08:56 PM

Aqua,
I really like Becel margarine, so today I bought the stuff that has I think 70% less fat then the regular. I'm going to give it a try, and use Kernels with it.
I did consider trying olive oil with an awareness of how many calories it actually was, but I try to keep my calories from snacks at or under 300/day, so with 1/4 C of popcorn containing 180 calories, that doesn't leave much room for the oil and seasoning.
Thanks for the suggestion:)

Glory87 04-02-2007 09:50 PM

1/4 cup of air popped popcorn has 200 calories? I thought plain, air popped corn was about 50 a cup!! You could eat 4 cups for 200 calories.

Here's a whole page of popcorn recipes, maybe one of them will be good! (click Nutrition, then Recipes)

http://www.popcorn.org/frames.cfm?ma...&usernav=flash

just_a_dreamy1 04-03-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory87 (Post 1637117)
1/4 cup of air popped popcorn has 200 calories? I thought plain, air popped corn was about 50 a cup!! You could eat 4 cups for 200 calories.
main=/nutrition/index.cfm&usernav=flash[/url]

Hey Glory,

I meant that 1/4 C popcorn KERNELS have 180 calories...the bag says that it makes about 5 1/2 C of popped corn:)

FreeSpirit 04-03-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollypie (Post 1636184)
The best topping ever is parmasean cheese! If gives it a great taste!

Especially on kettle corn. Yum.