Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #31  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The Morning Star Chick Pattie that I eat about 4 -5 x a week for lunch has just 6 gms of fat. Although it does have 540 gms of sodium. I don't eat much else fat or sodium during the day, so I eat them freely with no guilt. I enjoy them imensely, it keeps me on plan and that for me is key. By far it is the most processed food that I eat. I feel for me, it is a very good balance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #32  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
While I like most of the Morning Star Farms products, they are not necessarily low in fat. Sure, you're getting protein without eating meat, but the fat content makes me keep the portions rather small (and I still feel guilty about it!).
Don't feel guilty at all. Most of the fat in those products is not saturated. For example, the Morningstar Farms chicken patties - one serving is 6 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of that is saturated. It's mostly mono and poly fats.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Don't feel guilty at all. Most of the fat in those products is not saturated. For example, the Morningstar Farms chicken patties - one serving is 6 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of that is saturated. It's mostly mono and poly fats.
I should look more closely at those labels!!! I usually look at total fat and stop there. Thanks for the info.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #34  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I should look more closely at those labels!!! I usually look at total fat and stop there. Thanks for the info.
You're welcome

The first thing I look at is calories. That's the basis of my whole decision to buy something. If I think something is 'worth' the calories (for example, Lean Pockets are still close to 300 calories and that's just not worth it to me for that little bit of food because it's not going to fill me up) then I look at total fat. The next thing I look at is what KIND of fat a food has. How much is saturated, how much is monounsaturated, etc.

6 grams of total fat still isn't bad when compared to an actual deep-fried chicken patty. But again, only 1 gram of that is saturated (in the Morningstar Farms patties).

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #35  

Well since no one has mentioned this little gem of a product I will... It's called Quorn and I have found it to be a godsend for my diet. It is a vegetarian microprotein derived from mushrooms. It is fungus based and I know that it may sound a little gross to some but I think it tastes fantastic. They have all kinds of products from chicken breast tenders, chicken patties, chicken nuggets, turkey breast, and ground beef. As I said these are made w/o meat, I do think they bind the protein with eggs so it wouldn't be for someone who is vegan.

I have found this to be great since I am unable to eat soy. I try to keep my meat intake to poultry, dairy and seafood but the quorn products are a great addition to my semi-vegetarian lifestyle. You can google quorn and their website has all the info including nutrition specs and recipes. One of my favorites that I made up is- nuke a sweet potato and cut it long ways on a plate and smush it out to form a nice base. Then saute some onion, mushroom, peppers, zuchinni, yel. squash, and 1c of the ground "beef" quorn with a little bit of taco seasoning packet. You may need to add a little veggie broth or water to it to create a sauce and for the veggies to cook down. Once it is cooked to your desire pour it over the base of the smushed sweet potato. It is AWESOME and total calories is about 275 (depending on the size of the potato).

I hope this gives everyone another alternative for conventional protein souces!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #36