Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  

Default Oatrim: wonderful fat substitute

Oatrim is a fat substitute made from oats that was discovered by a scientist at the Dept of Agriculture (he won a prize for it too). I found a report from nutrition students reporting that Oatrim can replace half of the oil that a brownie mix calls for without any change in taste or mouth feel. So I bought some Oatrim from Bob's Red Mill and have been baking my brownies with this for 2 years (if the mix calls for 1/2 c of oil, you put in 1/4 c oil, mix 1/4 c Oatrim with the dry ingedients, add the wet ingredients, and add a bit of water to compensate for the loss in wet).

The problem is that Bob's Red Mill has discovered selling Oatrim, and the only other source is Quaker Oats but they only sell Oatrim in 50 lb bags.

Does anyone know of another source where Oatrim can be bought now in reasonable quantities?
MITllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've never heard of Oatrim, but a similar one, also developed by the USDA, is called Z-Trim. Only problem there is that you can only order it online and the shipping costs more than the actual product (unless you order a lot of it).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote