3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   What to do with Poblano Peppers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/107458-what-do-poblano-peppers.html)

LLV 03-17-2007 05:46 PM

What to do with Poblano Peppers

I picked one up today, although I don't believe I've ever had one.

OK, so now what do I do with it?

Are they hot or mild?

Suggestions would be appreciated :)

Spinymouse 03-17-2007 06:39 PM

OOH I love poblano peppers.
They are pretty mild. You can make a non-fried chile relleno with it.
First, roast it so you can peel it. You can do this either by turning it around on your stove burner, or by turning it around under your broiler; when the skin chars, remove it from the heating source and put it in a paper bag for a few minutes. When it's hot enough to handle, peel off the thin layer of outside peel. Cut of the stem and dig inside to scoop out the inside seeds and discard. You can stuff it with monterey jack cheese, (can be low fat) or a mixture of monterey jack and cottage cheese. You can add some rice to the stuffing glop too. Top with salsa and bake at about 350 till the cheese is melted.
I actually prefer this to the standard fried chile relleno.

sirak 03-17-2007 07:00 PM

I am putting some in Turkey burgers tonight !
They are so different from bell peppers, or jalepeno peppers.
I put them with chop them up in corn with black beans and cilantro.
They go into Chili and I have been know to eat them in an omlette,
I buy them fresh and roast them almost the same way.
They aren't fire alarm hot, but add a spicy taste that is hard to describe.

LLV 03-17-2007 07:33 PM

Wonderful suggestions, thank you! And that roasted pepper stuffed with cottage cheese sounds fantastic! I might have that for lunch tomorrow!

I roast red peppers quite a bit, so I'll just do the poblano the same way :)

kaplods 03-17-2007 10:40 PM

I love poblanos, and often do use them a lot like bell pepper. The flavor isn't the same, but they usually complement the same dishes, just giving them a slightly different flare, in my opinion.

cbmare 03-19-2007 04:45 PM

Once you've used a fresh poblano to make a relleno, you'll never use the whole canned type again.

I've roasted them and cut them up and put them into my chili verde or turkey verde, too.

They also make a good tapa.

midwife 03-19-2007 05:20 PM

Mix chopped poblanos with scrambled eggs.
Put on a turkey sandwich.
Chop and mix with light or fat free cream cheese and garlic powder to spread on celery, radished, sliced cucumbers.
Eat by themselves!!
YUM! I love poblanos!!!!

LLV 03-19-2007 05:26 PM

More wonderful suggestions, thank you!

I tried the roasted poblano stuffed with cottage cheese and it was so yummy!