3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Can this be right??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/107349-can-right.html)

LLV 03-16-2007 09:23 AM

Can this be right???

14 ounces of raw cauliflower (according to fitday) is only 39 calories????

I mean, 14 ounces is a LOT! It's half of a pretty good-sized head. But then went I put in half of a large head, it says 105 calories. Even half of a MEDIUM-sized head is 71.

So how can half of a medium head of cauliflower that's 71 calories go down to 39 calories if you weigh it in ounces?

:headache:

rockinrobin 03-16-2007 09:41 AM

LLV, I always went by 14 calories for 1/2 cup of cauliflower. It IS hard to actually measure cauliflower by the cup. I mean it's bumpy and doesn't quite fit in properly. I just always estimated what I was eating based on Fitday's 1/2 cup at 14 calories. And I always estimate that I eat 3 cups. Because I eat a LOT of it at a time. That would be 84 calories. I always estimate up.

It's a good question. But I really don't worry about it and always approximate anyway, because regardless, it's pretty darn low in calories. EVEN if you eat a whole large head.

LLV 03-16-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 1613615)
LLV, I always went by 14 calories for 1/2 cup of cauliflower. It IS hard to actually measure cauliflower by the cup. I mean it's bumpy and doesn't quite fit in properly. I just always estimated what I was eating based on Fitday's 1/2 cup at 14 calories. And I always estimate that I eat 3 cups. Because I eat a LOT of it at a time. That would be 84 calories. I always estimate up.

It's a good question. But I really don't worry about it and always approximate anyway, because regardless, it's pretty darn low in calories. EVEN if you eat a whole large head.

I know, isn't it wonderful? ;)

I'm like you, I eat a lot of it at one time. If it's a small head, I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting. Usually I mash it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mashed cauliflower. So I cook it then mash it up with a little salt & pepper and a couple of tablespoons of fat-free cream cheese.

Thanks for the tips! 'Tis true, it's hard to measure cauliflower by the cup, which is why I usually throw it on my digital scale to see how many ounces I've got. That kitchen scale is my best friend.

Now the bathroom scale, however...

LOL

Thanks again :)

BlueToBlue 03-16-2007 09:54 PM

I'm not sure that's right. According to Calorieking.com, cauliflower is 7 calories per oz, so 14 oz would be 98 calories. Calorie-count.com comes in at about the same. 39 calories for 14 oz would work out to less than 3 calories per oz. Given that even iceberg lettuce has 4 calories per ounce, this sounds a little low to me. I think the 39 calories must be a data entry error.

I set up a separate custom food for all the veggies I eat regularly with the nutritional data for 1 oz. Then I can just select the 1 oz portion and enter the number of servings I ate. This eliminates all the guesswork around heads, half a head, etc. I don't use Fitday, but I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing there.

LLV 03-17-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueToBlue (Post 1614611)
I'm not sure that's right. According to Calorieking.com, cauliflower is 7 calories per oz, so 14 oz would be 98 calories. Calorie-count.com comes in at about the same. 39 calories for 14 oz would work out to less than 3 calories per oz. Given that even iceberg lettuce has 4 calories per ounce, this sounds a little low to me. I think the 39 calories must be a data entry error.

I agree. I went ahead and put it in as a half of a whole head because I KNOW I was eating more than 39 calories.