3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Fried Fish-Healthier Alternative?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/106284-fried-fish-healthier-alternative.html)

HadEnough 03-04-2007 07:12 PM

Fried Fish-Healthier Alternative??

Is there a healthy way to fry fish? I just love fish fried with a crispy outside. Any one know how I can accomplish this in the oven? I have tried a couple "oven fried fish" recipes, and they were just a soggy mess. Help me, please, I need a fried fish fix! Thanks!

Ash15+ 03-04-2007 07:31 PM

Maybe you could try crusting it and doing it in a pan with just a little olive oil. I don't think it will be the same, but still crisp and WAY better for you.
Good Luck

drake3272004 03-04-2007 07:34 PM

My hubby does most of the cooking here and we also hated having this problem. So he decided to try putting the fish on a cookie cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet, that way the fish doesn't sit in its own moisture and it crisps up all around. I LOVE it this way!

elisa822 03-04-2007 08:08 PM

I think you have a couple of options. One of tried was already mentioned, using some sort of rack on top of a cookie sheet or baking pan.

What I do most often that seems to work well is to use parchment paper on a cookie sheet. It requires no oil at all (although I'll usually spray them with a bit of Pam) and it keeps my fish dry and crispy.

Also, if you can find something frozen and healthy where you live, I do better with the pre-breaded stuff than when I make my own. I can buy this very healthy breaded haddock that is dense and crispy and delicious. When I bread it myself it never comes out as well.

Hope this helps.

:D

baffled111 03-04-2007 09:31 PM

I dont know how it would work out calorie-wise, but I bet Panko would work in the oven, with just cooking spray. I *love* Panko because it never gets soggy. One of my fave things is a calamari steak coated with egg white and then panko, and then pan-fried. It is delish!

valentina 03-04-2007 11:31 PM

Cook's Illustrated (they're the ones who test 90 versions of a recipe to find the best one - also known as America's Test Kitchen on PBS) did oven fried chicken a few years ago and found the best topping to make it crunchy was melba toast. Here's the recipe - I'm sure it would work fine with fish.

Oven-Fried Chicken
Golden, crunchy, and on the table in under an hour

Serves four

For those who like breast meat, use a whole cut-up chicken instead of drumsticks and thighs. Be careful not to overcrush the Melba toast; crumbs that are too fine will leave the chicken wanting in crunchiness. If you own a spray bottle for oil, skip the step of tossing the Melba toast crumbs in oil. Instead, once the chicken is coated with crumbs, spray the pieces evenly with oil.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 box (about 5 ounces) plain Melba toast, placed in a heavy-duty freezer bag and pounded with a blunt, heavy object to a sand and pebble texture
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
4 chicken leg quarters, separated into drumsticks and thighs, skin removed, and patted dry with paper towels

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line sheet pan with foil and set large flat wire rack over sheet pan.

2. Drizzle vegetable oil over Melba toast crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate; toss well to coat. Mix eggs, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and optional cayenne with a fork in a second shallow dish or pie plate.

3. Working one piece at a time, coat chicken on both sides with egg mixture. Set chicken in Melba crumbs, sprinkle crumbs over chicken, and press to coat. Turn chicken over and repeat on other side. Gently shake off excess and place on rack. Bake until chicken is deep nutty brown and juices run clear, about 40 minutes.

LLV 03-05-2007 09:41 AM

I just spray my breaded fish with a good amount of nonstick cooking spray and fry it in a nonstick skillet. Still comes out crispy without the fat and calories of using oil.