Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #16  
hara hachi bu

Kaplods, exactly! (Now this is going to make me sound like a hippie, but ...) If it came from Mother Earth and people have been eating them forever, how bad can it be?

I think the low-carb movement doesn't recommend potatoes, but don't quote me on that.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most low-carb diets do vilify the potato (some even the sweet potato and carrot). I am trying to reduce carbs, especially refined carbs, so I am even reducing my "white potato" consumption, but I don't seen any reason to eliminate it completely. And back to the true spirit of the "better than," I usually bake or roast them with the skins. "Never say never," is my philosophy, besides when you forbid anything, it seems that much more seductive.

That being said, I did buy sweet potatoes instead of the "white guys" this week at the grocery store to make sweet potato fries (I toss sliced potatoes - any kind - with a tbs of canola or olive oil and a heaping tbs of ranch dressing powder or other seasonings and then roast at 400 degrees until they're yummy).

I also love green beans cooked in tomato or spaghetti sauce, and poured over a baked (gasp) white potato.

Even if a sweet potato is better than a white potato. I fugure a single white potato (even on a low carb diet) is better than a bag of potato chips.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I actually just like sweet potatoes better. And they do have more nutrition. But I still use regular potatoes in veggie soup sometimes.

They are just a very high GI starch, thats the only reason they are put off limits by a lot of "good carb" plans.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #19  

I think the problem often comes in when an "off limits," mentality goes to extremes. Many people when they get to the point that they just can't stand the limits of their food plan any longer, decide that "going off the wagon," might as well be done in a big way rather than a small one.

Eating an occasional baked potato, heck eating an entire chocolate cake, doesn't have to permanently derail weight loss, but we let it because humans tend to think in all or nothing mode more easily than concepts of "moderation."
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #20  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I go by the 80% rule for most things in my life. Actually I am closer to 90% right now which I think is probably about right for weight loss, then 80% for maintenance. I eat "perfectly" for 90% of the (time, calories, meals, whatever) and dont worry about the other 10% too much.

Lemme see I average ~ 2000 calories/day so 10% would be 200 calories...that sounds about right for "not perfect" - actually if you include my dinners which I co-op so dont have total control over the ingredients, maybe its 20%.

I have to say the one thing bad thing about SBD -( which overall I love and it changed my life )- was the concept that a teeny tiny bit of white flour vs. whole wheat flour or whatever would make that much of a difference. People on the SBD site (the official site) saying they couldnt eat a filet of fish because it had been dusted with a smidge of flour before being panfried in a olive oil. Sorry. GI index is great, but it doesnt work in isolation. 6 calories of even pure sugar are not going to affect your blood sugar significantly if included in a meal full of protein and fat.

Or a 1/2 tsp of sugar. I think one of the best substitutions I ever made was

SUGAR or honey instead of artificial sweetener
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #21  

I agree, but books that sell moderation, don't sell. People would rather believe there is a magical component to weight loss, and one slip up will break the "spell."