Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Default Whopper?

So I'm a calorie counter, and I try to have a slurge item once a week. It helps keep me sane. Well lately I've been having this enormous craving for a Burger King Whopper. Why? I have no clue since I never eat fast food! Anyway, I got online to see how many calories are in it, and if I don't get cheese or mayo the whopper totals at 530 calories. Does that seem right? It seems low to me! Let me know what you think...
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yes, that seems right in line. I checked on calorie-king and it said a whopper with no mayo is 510 but didn't mention the cheese. This is why fast food is not a good idea. Make it yourself (ww bun, turkey instead of beef) and you'll save a lot of calories.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

If you really need a whopper get a jr. and save calories. Same taste and only 147 calories without mayo. You could even splurge and get cheese and mayo and still only have 170 calories.

Whoppers are my favorite take out burgers.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #4  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

According to the Burger King website a whopper with no cheese or mayo is 510 calories. However, when I want a whopper, I get the mayo but get the Whopper JR instead(I never get the cheese). With the mayo, but no cheese or pickles, it is 370 calories. Same great taste smaller size and very satisfying for that "gotta have a whopper mood". Without mayo, the JR is 290 calories. With mayo, it is 21 grams of fat with 6 of that saturated. Without mayo it is 12 grams of fat with 4.5 being saturated. I hope that helps.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

How are your two calories so different?

Paula, you got 170 calories. Did you omit the bun? Oh, LOVE the hat!

Christina, you got 370. I think I'm a bit confused. Congrats on your success!

As a rule, I don't care for fast food any longer. Once I cut it out, it tends to make me sick when I eat it. However, I have to admit to liking the enchrito at Taco Bell. I like the chili from Wendy's, too. I have one of those about twice a year.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

OOPS I was looking at the serving size. Christina is correct. Guess it's time for new glasses. lol
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7  

According to the Burger King website, a whopper (no cheese) is 670 and a whopper jr. no cheese is 370. Cheese adds 90 to the big one and 45 to the jr. Even the regular hamburger is 290 calories. I don't know where Paula is seeing this 147 calorie burger.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammpaula View Post
OOPS I was looking at the serving size. Christina is correct. Guess it's time for new glasses. lol
I was thinking that may have been your mistake!!! LOL. Glasses do help!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone -
Whopper jr, no cheese or mayo looks like my best option. Funny how random cravings can just hit you. I think I'm doing well though by not compromosing when I'll have it. I'm just gathering my information, and come Friday and my splurge item, I'll be enjoying my whopper jr Thanks everyone!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm one that likes to control my ingredients as much as possible so I like making hamburgers at home. I can add veggies/spices to my burger, grill it on a foreman, use a whole grain bun, add whatever ingredients I want and I'm good. If I do go out for a burger, it is usually to a restaurant so it is an experience rather than a convenience.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I under stand the specificity of the craving though. There are times I want McDonalds soft serve ice cream.

Is it good icecream> No

Is it even good for soft serve? no

But when that is what I want, the best ice-cream in the world would not be a better choice because the craving is extremely brand specific.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ennay - Funny! I actually use the McDonald's ice cream as my treat because I can easily portion size it and it is low in calories compared to other ice cream. I do fight some cravings though mostly because the less I eat junk, the less junk I crave or actually enjoy. I've had cravings for things that I used to really love, if I actually give into the craving, I realize that the memory of the taste is much better than the actual taste. So mostly I tell myself to enjoy the memory because it just won't be the same.

Something I almost forgot is that a few months ago I wanted pancakes. I really wanted pancakes for a couple days. I would mention them to DH who thought I was crazy but a few days later, I forgot about the pancakes and haven't felt the craving since. It is kind of weird what cravings we do get.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #13  

It is funny the types of cravings I get. Mine are always very specific. Even if its only head hunger, I always know EXACTLY what I want. Usually if I can find some way to squeeze it into my calorie limit for the day, I will, and then the craving is gone and I move on with my life. Thank you for the great suggestions though, I have had a lot of luck creating some old favorites in a much healthier way, but sometimes you just want what you want. And for me, its a Whopper this Friday, ha!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperdollme View Post
It is funny the types of cravings I get. Mine are always very specific. Even if its only head hunger, I always know EXACTLY what I want. Usually if I can find some way to squeeze it into my calorie limit for the day, I will, and then the craving is gone and I move on with my life. Thank you for the great suggestions though, I have had a lot of luck creating some old favorites in a much healthier way, but sometimes you just want what you want. And for me, its a Whopper this Friday, ha!
I've been wanting a rice bowl from the Hawaiian BBQ place near work. I've been avoiding it for a few weeks. I almost caved in today, but decided that my Healthy Choice roast turkey with pilaf will have to do. It's not a full dinner, so I'm having a half a dill pickle with it. I think this Friday is my "treat" day, too! I'm going to get that chicken rice bowl with all the veggies in it and have them put the curry sauce on the side. Yum!

I have no idea how many calories are in it. This place is little and I haven't found it online for nutritional info.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote