3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Fitness Videos (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fitness-videos-178/)
-   -   Jillian Michaels DVDs on QVC (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fitness-videos/81932-jillian-michaels-dvds-qvc.html)

lextexgal 04-17-2006 09:54 PM

Jillian Michaels DVDs on QVC

She has "The Biggest Winner" set of 5 workout DVDs on QVC for $36 if anyone is interested. I'm thinking about ordering them. I am wanting to lose about 15 lbs. It seems that my weight is in the middle and I just hate it!!! I am a member at a local gym and try to get there at least 5 days a week. I have an hour commute to my job and the gym is located in the same town. After work I go to the gym but when my week is short I don't feel like doing anything. I know something beats nothing and I will get back into. I did lose 5 lbs. though.

Megan2006 04-18-2006 08:06 AM

Hi There!

Where did you see that???

lextexgal 04-18-2006 08:35 AM

On QVC at 6:00 p.m. yesterday, 4/17.

lextexgal 04-18-2006 08:36 AM

Forgot to mention that you can always go to their website, qvc.com and check it out.

Megan2006 04-18-2006 09:10 AM

oh sorry, I wasn't familair with QVC

nelie 04-18-2006 09:39 AM

I bought this DVD set just before I started going back to the gym. I will say it is hard but she has good concepts. I bought it from amazon.com which offers free shipping. The price is 36.99. I'd look around before you buy it on QVC.

Megan2006 04-18-2006 10:49 AM

How hard are they?? notice any weight differences since using them?
I'm really interested in getting them - just don't want to waste money.

nelie 04-18-2006 12:32 PM

I'm basically a gym and hiking type. So I didn't have too much experience with the DVDs. She tries to get your blood pumping by constantly changing positions. One second you are on the floor, the next you aren't, then on the floor again. I would say they are hard for a beginner but if you know how to modify a workout tape, then they aren't that bad. It was something that helped motivate me to get back in the gym though.

I did like that they are fairly short (30 mins each?) so if you don't have much time, it is SOMETHING. Personally, I think the Firm workouts may be a better choice.

fikustrees 04-24-2006 11:55 AM

These are acutually very hard. You can preview at collage video. You don't need very heavy weights. You lift really fast for about a minute and then you switch. They will DEFFINATLY get your heart rate up! I really like her book, she helps you design a routine and gives lots of good advice and form pointers.

SheriaVa 04-30-2006 09:24 AM

I have only tried one of Jillian's DVDs so far--I think it was Shape Up Front. I rented it from Netflix and it was NOTHING like what I expected. I thought it was going to be weight training but it was both weight training and cardio and WAY too intense for my liking. Wouldn't you know, soon after that, a friend got me the set of her Shape Up Front and Back in Action for Christmas. I kept them in the shrinkwrap for months thinking I'd return them, but now I'm thinking I will try them again.

IMHO, they are definitely NOT for beginners...unless they are beginners who used to be Olympic athletes or marathon runners. The cardio parts are not your typical aerobics stuff. It's more boot camp type of stuff that requires both a LOT of cardiovascular endurance and alot of strength.

That said, I remember thinking, when I did Shape Up Front the first time, "If I could keep up with this, and do it regularly, I am almost certain I could lose weight." The problem at the time is that it felt so overwhelming to me. I just need to keep doing it so I can learn the routine and eventually it won't feel so overwhelming. I know because Tae-Bo once felt overwhelming too!

Optical Goddess 08-24-2006 09:40 AM

I was reading somewhere that her dvd's require a bench and dumbbells to get maximum results...is there any truth to this?

fikustrees 08-31-2006 06:13 PM

you do need light dumbells but not a bench. They use it for some moves but you can just as easily do something else.

Fluffy Goddess 09-06-2006 07:34 PM

I did 3 of her DVD's on a rotating schedule for 8 weeks. I went:
Shape up Front, Shape up Back, Cardio Kickboxing, Shape up front, Shape up back, rest, 1 hour tredmill, Cardio Kickboxing.
1 DVD /day
The first week, I hurt really really bad, but I pushed myself past the pain and kept at it. By the 8th week, I noticed a marked difference in strength. I can lift a whole lot more and the DVD's are definitely easier. As for the scale: I notice more of a difference when I'm using the tredmill alone. During the 8 weeks, I lost an average of 1.5 lbs/wk. When I was doing only the tredmill I lost 2-3 lbs/wk.

Idealmuse 09-12-2006 05:23 PM

They are really killer - I sold my Kickboxing one it was too much for me and i didn't see growing into it it looked too drill like and boring. I have the Maximize set too which I kept, but I'm saving for later.

If you think you can handle it get the whole set, but you can get the 2-packs at Walmart and K-Mart for 15 bucks you might want to start there depending on your fitness level.