Insanity or P90x?? Help!!

• Ok everybody..advice time! My husband has finally decided that he would like to try workout videos with me. He has had a Bowflex before and runs occasionally on the treadmill, but nothing structured. However, he has a physical job and therefore doesn’t have a lot of weight to lose, probably about 25 lbs or so, but he wants to add muscle. I, on the other hand, have tried every exercise program known to man. I’ve done The Firm, Jillian Michaels, Walk Away the Pounds and the list goes on. They’ve all worked for me, but I’ve never stuck with any of it for any length of time. I have about 70 more lbs to lose.

So, I say all of that to get to my question (it’s about time, right?). We cannot decide between Insanity and P90X. I love the idea of Insanity because it uses just your body weight, no weights or bands to keep up with, but I know that Tony Horton is a fitness genius! So, any thoughts on what you ladies like best? The Hubby said he will do whichever will work for me, so it’s my choice. Let’s hear it!!
  • I have tried both for short periods of time, just to see what they were all about and let me tell you, they are not by any means "easy" programs. They are both intense and leave you sore the next day and days after, so it's hard to keep going with them. I find that you have to be pretty fit already in order to actually do what they are doing in the video and follow the plan.

I too prefered Insanity because it was only body weight needed, however my boyfriend liked the structure of P90X.
  • I agree with wiredkell. I have done some of the P90X and own Insanity. I like the fact that everything I'm doing is simply with my body. No additional equipment needed.

As she said, neither are easy. Insanity is EXACTLY that!
  • Im a little late chiming in here but I use Insanity and so does my husband. Its fun comparing fit tests with each other. We prefer Insanity because we can take it with us on vacations/business trips/etc. and do not have to worry about extra gym equipment.
    I've also done a round of P90X and I can safely say BOTH will kick your behind into shape.
  • I have heard wonderful things about Insanity and also it is the same company that does P90X (Beachbody is the company's name). I want to try Insanity since you use your own body weight, my fiance has done it with his friends and he enjoyed it, but they all prefer P90X because of the structure and Tony Horton. I am familiarizing myself with P90X this week and beginning full on next week. I really love Tony Horton's style and enjoy the way he tries to keep you motivated throughout the workout, also all of the tools you can utilize with the program.

It is definitely not an easy workout, it's very intense and Tony even says take your time, do however many reps you can but not to over push yourself because you will get stronger as time goes on and eventually you will be able to complete all the reps. So keep that in mind when you start out, it will help.

I am starting the Lean phase and I do not have resistance bands but I have a couple of dumbbells for the strength training. Those are the weights that I use for the non cardio workouts.
  • I am on my second round of insanity and love it. I did try a month of p90x but its just not for me. I definitely recommend insanity if you need to lose weight and p90x to tone up maybe you can do them both insanity first then p90x after