Any one do primarily yoga via videos?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm hoping to find a group or even one person here that does.
  • Hi SerenityDiva, I practice yoga and sometimes use dvds.
    What types of yoga do you practice? Do you do only yoga? I find that even if I do other exercises, those sun salutations are a whole-body workout by themselves
  • Mostly vinyasa power-type yoga, but also hatha and restorative poses. I also am doing Jill Miller's At Home Yoga Tune Up series which is kinda like a physical therapy approach to yoga, not flowy at all, but helps a lot to learn alignment and what not.

I also do extra cardio for now to lose weight and build my aerobic base. I usually do the bike at home due to plantar fasciitis and myofascial issues I have issues with my feet and so step and even walking is out at times. I am MUCH better and went for a few hikes this summer, something two years ago I thought were gone forever.

Thanks for asking
  • I use podcasts mostly - some are video, some are audio. I used a lot of on demand videos before I found the podcasts. The video ones are better than audio IMO because I can see them. I like vinyasa power flows, I'm fond of solar flows, lunar flows and hip openers.

I use yoga journal and yogadownloads.com podcasts. Stream them on my iPad. The yogadownloads ones are more quick moving power, the yoga journal ones are mostly slower pace but still deep and impactful.
  • I find that I really can't be a 'jack of all trades' - I've tried that ! My cardio is step aerobics at home. I also have a cheap gym I visit once a week for the leg machines, as squats and lunges don't agree with me.

I like David Swenson's Asthanga yoga Primary Series dvd. He's a great teacher and practitioner.

Enjoy the day
  • Exhale I thought about that one! I had his book or his brother's years ago and lost it. I might pick that up at Amazon.

I loved step so much! I used to do Cathe a lot and some Gin Miller. I miss it, but my knees can't take it

Have a super weekend!
  • I've really grown to love my yoga DVDs. I have 2 seasons of Namaste Yoga (the show that used to be on FitTV). It's very flowy, linking the poses together, and relaxing. I can do it at night and hop right in to bed. I also have The Biggest Loser DVD. That is completely different - lots of holding plank. I'm sweaty and my arms are trembling when I'm done.

I'd really love to try a live yoga class. There's currently a Groupon for a studio less than a mile from my house. I've emailed them some questions, and if it will work with my crazy schedule, I'm going to do it.
  • I do DDP Yoga. It's a great cardio/strengthening yoga that is very useful for people with back/joint problems as well.

www.ddpyoga.com
  • Yahoo! The local yoga studio with the Groupon lets you just drop in to any class. I'm going to try a real life yoga class!

But I still did my Namaste Yoga video this morning.
  • Devnet I don't have DDP...yet, but I hear great things.

Riddy did you go?

I started doing APY60 again two weeks ago and am loving it!
  • Quote: Riddy did you go?
    Yes, twice! And I liked it a lot (obviously).

I tried 2 hot yoga classes - the first one was hot rocking vinyasa - the actual workout was to alternative rock, the second one was sweating to the 80's - lots of fun. I really need to look up what the different kinds of yoga are, because I have no idea what vinyasa actually MEANS. Apparently they aren't as hot as traditional yoga - the first class had 2 space heaters going, in the second class the teacher cranked the furnace thermostat up to 90 degrees. Still pretty hot to me!

They have non-hot classes too, I'm just waiting for one to fit in my schedule. And they're adding a lot more classes in after Labor Day, so I should get to try lots of new stuff.

I won't get to go to a class again til the weekend, so I've done my videos 3 times this week, and gone running once.
  • It sounds fun, I especially love the idea of music which is why I try to use my own (I just seem to forget most days). I'm glad you found a place you like and the hot yoga, yeah I tell myself I do that June through August in Texas LOL (because we usually have 100 days of 100 degrees and the house AC can't keep up). Although honestly in the winter I do have a space heater that I use at times.
  • I've been back for 2 more classes! I went to the 80's class again yesterday morning, then tonight I did "spa yoga" - didn't seem quite as hot, relaxing music, and the lights were low. VERY relaxing. And they give you a cold lavender washcloth at the end - HEAVEN! I still love my videos for doing whenever I want, but I am definitely hooked on the classes at this studio.
  • Spa sounds heavenly
  • Serenity Diva,

Have you tried the Ultimate Yogi program by Travis Eliot?:

The filming is beautifully done, and the music is gorgeous:

http://vimeo.com/theultimateyogi/videos

He released a "Foundations" dvd set recently, and will be releasing another set called "Short and Sweet" of shorter practices.

I also enjoy Jill Miller's practices. I need to get back to doing the Yoga At Home dvds. I have level one and two.

Sherry