Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9

Default Fitness Vids for the Hopelessly Out of Shape?

Apologies if this question has already been answered a million times already.

I'm looking for fitness dvds, or more preferably, videos streaming on Netflix, that are good for people like me. I'm 300+ pounds, and the only exercise I get right now is walking - which, admittedly, I do quite a bit of, but that's not the same as dancing or aerobics.

I found a reissue of Richard Simmons' old Sweatin' to the Oldies from the 80's, and I seemed to do okay with that, if you want to use that as a fitness level to go on.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Lunalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I live in Canada, and our Netflix SUCKS, so I can't give you any information for videos on there. However, the Jillian Michaels DVD's are awesome. As the 30 Day Shred is only 20 minutes, and it shows you the alternatives you can do if you are unable to do the full exercise, it makes for a great start for people who are just getting into exercising.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #3  

Thanks Candeka, I will look for that one!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Jillian might be a little intense for you at this point, give it a shot, but even with modifications, her 20 minutes are pretty challenging.

Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" videos are popular, and seem to be targeted at a more moderate fitness level.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/183/117

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Mandalinn Walk Away The Pounds with Leslie Sanone is great for beginners and beyond. I still use her workouts. Hers were the only ones I could do in the beginning and she has more advanced dvds for people like me who have been doing them for awhile. I can now do her five mile ones, though her newest five mile one I can't do from beginning to end, I only am doing three miles of it. It is tough. But she has much easier ones that are one or two miles. I highly recommend her dvd's. Plus they are fun since she's fun to listen too. Most of the time at least:-)
blueice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...Walk Away The Pounds. It was great for me as a beginner (and over 280). Not a lot of jumping or complicated moves but still a good workout. You can also pace yourself on length, intensity. I've been using them since April and have gone from an almost 24W to a 14W/regular 16. (I think I can fit a regular 14 but I'm scared to try)

I still use them and have moved to her walk/jog and more intense programs.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't see Leslie Sansone on Netflix, maybe your library has her workouts. You said you are already doing a bit of walking, so you might find Leslie boring There's some dance workouts on Netflix that look fun. They also have some Ellen Barrett, I like her workouts and they have some toning to them, so maybe try those. Hulu also has some full length workouts (or close to it)
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #8  

Thank you for all the suggestions ladies! I will definitely check everything out.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I really loved WATP from 290-215 lbs. Even if you get bored with her, you can play your own music and just put her on mute. When I last used them, I loved the Weight Loss Walk when I was ready for a 3 mile walk (Link on amazon here). I started with a 15 minute walk WATP, 2 mile walk, and then I pretty much stayed at 3-4 miles when I was 214. At that time, I tried some of the walk/run DVDs.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #10  
learning to love myself

S/C/G: 295/ticker/169

Height: 5'10

I've heard good things about power 90. I guess it's the work out you're supposed to do before doing p90x, it's the beginners version and it's cheaper. I've been considering doing it so I'll let you know how it goes if I do..
Kay7jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #11  

Have you tried checking out Collage Videos or Total Fitness DVD's? I know you said you wanted streaming workouts, but both of these sites have clips that can give you an idea of what to look for on Netflix. Collage even has searches that you can customize to your needs. Also, check You Tube for clips of workouts. Beach Body has it's own channel there. I don't know what your body is capable of right now or what your health is, so be careful and don't pick something that will wipe you out, injure you and/or discourage you. Beach Body tends to have fairly hardcore workouts and I know that had I started with one of them, I most likely wouldn't still be at it all these years later.

I want to wish you luck. I've been working out since 2003 with DVD's and it's really helped my health. I call in sick to work about once a year now. The food/weight issue is a much tougher challenge because of the psychological issues that go with it. I'm still working on that and unfortunately as far as weight loss goes, that's the more important thing.

Good luck!
SophiaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #12  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with SophiaM, about recommending collage.com as you can first search for what you want; get a list of choices, then click on a short vid clip to watch a part of the workout; and they have customer reviews. And the staff at collage has actually done every dvd/vid they offer. So they can endorse some as "Staff Favorites".

My current fave dvd is "anni's Life Force". She calls it 'a mid life workout' (meaning it's especially good for an older chick like me) BUT you can modify it for your own levels, with 3 people doing different levels to show you how.

I check for dvd's and vids on collage, then shop around, like amazon.

You said you do walk; can you 'rev up' your walk by adding hand held weights maybe?

Best wishes
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Kim Lyons.

http://www.collagevideo.com/item.asp...11#reviewstart

Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. My kid can do it.

I like the rating system on collage even if I end up checking it out from the library.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/228/180

Height: 5'11"

Hulu (the free part) has many full length fitness workouts. Go to hulu dot com and search fitness. You may need to register, but other than that it is free. They may also have short commercials, but you can march in place during those.
CathyLH is offline   Reply With Quote