Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #1  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default zumba buddies?

I got the dvd's today actually I borrowed them from my aunt and I was wondering if anyone else is out there is still using the zumba dvds or even going to a class. I start tommorow but I am previewing the vids today.

SW : 188

Goal : 125

They look like fun!
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

I had a class last Friday, and I'm hoping that I can stay motivated enough to continue going! Having some Zumba buddies sounds fun!
Jelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #3  
Need to stay motivated!!

jelbelle how often do you take the class? zumba is fun at home and I can only imagine how fun it is at a class I hope you keep on going!!

i did day two of the zumba dvd beginner plan which is doing the basics for two days and then moving on to the 20 min w/o. that basics section kicked my butt! and i found out that they do hold classes out here where i live but i want to make sure i have the moves down before venturing out and signing up for a class there are certain moves that i can barely keep up with but I am confident that I will get better at doing them!

Last edited by NiteOwlMommy; 11-12-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #4  

NiteOwl: Right now I'm in Friday classes, so once a week from 6:30 to about 7:40. Unfortunately with my school schedule I can't make it to the other classes, but next semester I will probably switch into the Monday/Wednesday classes. Right now there are only about six of us, so a relatively small class. I didn't have any Zumba experience going in, but aside from the really complicated steps, I'm okay at keeping up, and I hope I'll improve with time too I like the class because even though it's difficult and a little different for me, it keeps me moving for that entire hour, and I know I'm getting my workout!

Last edited by Jelbelle; 11-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/130

Height: 5'3"

I'll try it.

I'm not able to go to classes because they're not offered in my area, but I started doing the basics at home. I try to do ZUMBA every now and then, but it would be great to know I'm trying it with others.
Good news is, I can already do basic belly dancing, so I hope I'll catch onto Zumba quick.
KattoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #6  
Need to stay motivated!!

kattoS Welcome to our little group. Belly dancing is fun. I have been doing the ZUMBA basics for the last two days and did my first 20 min. w/o today, and boy am I glad I did the basics first.

So day 3 of ZUMBA today the 20 min workout and it didn't move as fast as i thought that it was going to and I'm glad it didn't. I kept up with a majority of the video getting lost only a couple of times I still need to work on one of the calypso steps but I hope to improve with time too tomorrow is the suggested Rest Day but I think I will just substitute it with my crunch yoga/pilates DVD I'm even thinking of doing the 20 min. work out too. I had a fight with my scale today and it won the numbers fluctuate by 1 and 2 pds. I shouldn't of had that soup late last night...but today I will not have any late snacks or soups I look forward to seeing that number drop next week!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Zumba Love!

I LOVE Zumba! No one seems to be active on the other Zumba threads, so I'm glad you started this up NiteOwl!

I own the DVDs, but have fallen off the Zumba wagon for about three weeks. But tonight is the night! I'm preparing myself to go off to work where oddly enough is the only time I have to work out without a toddler at my feet.

I'm a bit fan of doing the 20 min workout and then following that up with the 20 min standing ab routine. Love them both because they're so quick, and definitely effective!

I wish I could go to a class, there's a whole bunch in my area. There's a really cool class I heard about that actually is held in one of the local bars and they turn on the dance/party lights while they Zumba, so it really is like a party! But I figure since I have the DVDs, why spend more $ than necessary?

Last edited by trying2doitall; 11-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.
trying2doitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #8  
Need to stay motivated!!

trying2doitall Welcome to the group. I also noticed no active ZUMBA thread. My toddler likes to watch mommy try to follow the DVD LOL she thinks its funny. I did my first 20 min today and you got a point on spending more money on the classes although they do sound like fun. Luckily I had an aunt who wasn't using the DVD's(she has no time).

Last edited by NiteOwlMommy; 11-13-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #9  

KattoS: I've been doing belly dance for about a month now at home, and I love the bellydance. There are some similar styles used in Zumba too, but they are quite a bit different. Zumba is faster and the steps are a more complex, although repetetive. But I guess it helps to have any sort of dance background when going into a new style!

I've started doing some practice Zumba at home since my classes are only once a week. I have to say, I think my instructor is particularly difficult XD I've seen a lot of vids on youtube where the routines are more fun, ours are really complicated
Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #10  

Okay, so I only made it through the 20 min. ab routine last night and half of the regular 20 min. express workout, but I tried! I took some sinus medicine that made me feel a bit loopy, that's why I stopped. I can't wait to kick whatever illness this is that I've got.

@NiteOwl, that's awesome your toddler loves to watch! I keep trying to get my little man dancing with me, but he just ends up pulling me away to play with his cars.

@Jelbelle, anychance there's a beginner's class where you are? And if not, you should make the suggestion to your instructor. Tell 'em that more people might show up to a beginner's class, might be a good way to increase a client base?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #11  

tryingtodoitall: There is a slower paced class the next town over that a friend of my family teaches, but unfortunately due to my school schedule I can't go to those classes. The Friday classes are the only ones I can get to this semester. I figure I'll learn as I go, at least I know I'm burning calories!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #12  
Need to stay motivated!!

Rest day today...but i did have chinese take out and ice cream...I do the 20 min w/o tomorrow and I'll try that 20 min ab one too. Does anyone else get really thirsty when w/o I don't get as thirsty when I do my yoga DVD but with ZUMBA wheeew!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #13  

@Jelbelle, boo to school schedules! but yay to you for fitting in some zumba! it's really hard to find the time between classes and homework, not to mention a healthy social life! atleast with the more advanced class, you kinda get the "teaching to the top" experience, just think how awesome you'll be in a few more weeks!

@NiteOwl, I DEF get thirsty when I zumba, but I can't drink water during the workout because i get this crazy stitch in my side when i do. i chalk up the thirst to the major sweat i'm breakin' while i dance my little heart out :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #14  

tryingtodoitall: That's so true! If I can keep up maybe I'll be better for it =) Just need to get used to the routines and all. There are certainly some steps I like better than others, but I'm willing to stick it out because I think it's a much better way to exercise that a lot of other stuff.

NiteOwl: I always get super thirsty when I Zumba, I might as well bring a barrel of water to keep me alive. I dance my way over to the drinking fountain to refill my water bottle at least three times in the hour
Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #15  
Need to stay motivated!!

jelbelle I favor certain steps too....I can't do the quebradita step to save my life LOL but as they say practice practice practice!

omg woke up soo late today!! I stayed up last night chatting with my brother and I glanced at the clock and it was 2:35 am!! I went to sleep and woke up almost at noon....eeewww I hate doing that because I don't feel rested at all. I will go to bed early today tho I have to get back on track! I did do the 20 min ZUMBA w/o and with all those booty circles and moving my hips side to side my "ab" area is a bit sore so YAY! How are the rest of you ladies doing so far? This week is going to be just a little tough well at least Saturday is going to be my kiddo is going to be 2 on Friday and we have a small but food packed party planned for her with cakes, pizza, and ice cream. I know we will have left over cake we always do. I'm unsure about inviting more people to her party last year for her first birthday all the family that I invited just ate (complained about the food provided AS they were eating it ugh!) and as soon as they finished their cake they left. I thought it was kind of rude.....anyway rant is over, ZUMBA tomorrow! YAY