Workout video.... help

• Does anyone do workout videos at home when you dont want to go to the gym or leave the house cause its raining????

Any good ones out there?? Im looking to buy one. I need one not boring and one that will kick my butt, but not make me hurt myself
  • I like Billy Blanks' Tae Bo videos!!
  • I've been working out at home for about 6yrs now. My favorite instructor is Cathe Friedrich...she will most certainly kick your butt. I love all her workouts, she has a great,refreshing personality that doesn't get old for me.

Jillian Michaels is another one that comes to mind(although she can be scary at times,LOL). I have 30 day Shred, Yoga meltdown, other by her and some of The Biggest Loser workouts with Bob too. There good too!

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites that has reviews, video clips and you can also pinpoint what kind of workouts your looking for and they will give you suggestions. collage video

good luck
  • I use workout videos all the time instead of the gym. I just have too busy of a schedule to work around their hours.

Right now I'm using Power 90 (the older version of P90X and not quite as intense). It's a bit boring, but it will give great results. It doesn't have any music so that you can put your own personal faves on. I like that and it makes it much better.

I've done Tae Bo, and Billy Blanks is much more lively, but I have to admit that I never stick with his very long because I don't see results from that as quickly as I do the Power 90.

Those are the main ones I use, but I have been dying to try a few of the dance ones to see how they are. Anyone have any faves of those?
  • I have Jillian 30DS and she doesn't yell or anything in there, which is good because I don't respond to yelling. I use it for exactly the same reason, on days I'm not able to get to the gym. I have hand weights going from 3-10lb at home, and use the heaviest I am capable of depending on the exercise. It's making me stronger and also more flexible, though you really have to do more stretching than she includes in the video, I think. Lunges make my legs really tight.

There are also lots of exercise diagrams at exercise.about.com, and they use body weight, exercise balls, step benches (or coffee tables) or hand weights. You can look them up by muscle group (glutes etc.) or "lower body". I use those to supplement.

If you have a library card, lots of libraries have exercise DVDs and videos, although you might have to wait in line for the popular ones. Jillian's and other videos are only like $9 at Walmart and Target though.
  • I am a huge fan if Billy Banks! He is motivating and gets me pumped! I have not tried is tae bo workouts yet, but I have three of his boot camp DVDs.
  • I like Biggest Loser Dvd's.
  • I only work out at home as well. The best video for you really depends on your style and how intense of a workout you are looking for. If you like fast pace hardcore exercise, I also recommend Tae Bo or Jillian Michaels. If you are looking for something a little more mild and very motivating, I HIGHLY recommend any video by Leslie Sansone. Her walk away the pounds at home walking videos with resistance band exercises are awesome and she is so motivating and positive. I started with her videos and even though I am more fit now, I still go back to her videos when ever I am in a slump and need some exercise motivation. Her videos with the walk belt are fun as well
  • I used to do Billy Blanks Tae Bo videos, and liked them, but got bored eventually.

Now I use Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training DVD (the newer one) and I really like it. I have 30DS and find myself dreading it for some reason. Also, I want to work out for longer than 20 minutes, so I need to do something else BEFORE I put that on (because afterward, I can't make myself do ANYTHING else. lol). Also, Jillian's 30DS has some exercise combos that hurt my back.

I've also been using my computer and loading up a bunch of Zumba videos on YouTube -- I just open different tabs in my browser and have them all completely buffered so my internet connection doesn't mess with the flow. There are a bunch of videos from a Zumba class in Hickory, NC that are fun and a good workout. Check 'em out. They are just single songs/dances, but I do a bunch of them and boom, an hour is gone.
  • Do you have cable with On Demand? I can get lots of free exercise videos through my DVR with On Demand and I love that I can try things about and go through a wide variety without having to buy them.

Not sure of your current fitness level but I'll second sweetnlow's recommendation for Leslie Sansone if you are just getting started. You can put more effort into them to make them more intense, or do them more lightly if you are more of a beginner, and they really are a great work out. (and I can get them on my On Demand!)
  • My sister just did the P90 set and had great results. Sounds REALLY tough, tho.

Collage Video is great because you can preview short clips of the videos on their Web site.

I also check exercise DVDs out from the local library occasionally so that I can try before I buy.
  • Thanks guys. I do have opn demand. Thats funny you said that cause i was thinking of looking on there. I love jillian michaels so i may try hers. Maybe the billy tae bo one too. I just purchased a yoga mat so i want to get a yoga video
  • You can get some Jillian on On Demand - I was doing a Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout one, and there have been several others. There are also a bunch of yoga ones so you can try a few and maybe find a particular style or instructor you know you like before you go ahead and buy it.

I haven't seen Tae-bo on there, but I did try one that was Billy Blanks' son called Cardioke, where you sing while doing cardio. I didn't really like it much though.
  • [quote=LouisaH;3347575
    I've also been using my computer and loading up a bunch of Zumba videos on YouTube -- I just open different tabs in my browser and have them all completely buffered so my internet connection doesn't mess with the flow. There are a bunch of videos from a Zumba class in Hickory, NC that are fun and a good workout. Check 'em out. They are just single songs/dances, but I do a bunch of them and boom, an hour is gone.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that, I have been wanting to try a Zumba workout. I will check them out.
  • Walk Away the Pounds. There is one one youtube and Netflicks has others so you can try before you buy. There are threads to read as well.