Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #1  
The Last 10lbs!

Default Yoga/Core Training Suggestion?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a yoga DVD that is good for fat loss/core training? I have very bad shoulders and upper back and it affects my posture and makes me sore most days, so I was hoping that strengthening my core would help with my posture and in turn help with my shoulders. Do you think this would work? I did some level 1-2 yoga yesterday from Yoga Download and it certainly loosened my muscles up.

Does anyone have any other suggestions other than yoga for sorting out my shoulders/improving my posture in order to do so? I'm only 21 but I've had this issue for quite a few years, brought on, I think, from not really having a space to store stuff in high school and instead carrying my backpack around all day.

I only have a small amount of space to work in as I live in a very tiny studio flat.

Thank you!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I'd suggest you try pilates. I've been doing yoga and pilates regularly for the past month and they've definitely strengthened my core and helped my posture. They're very similar but (in my opinion) yoga tends to be more about overall health and well-being, whereas pilates focuses mainly on core strength in the body and lengthening the spine. I love both and found switching between them during the week to be beneficial.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

On my off days, I do "biggest loser weight loss yoga". I like it quite a bit and Bob shows modifications.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I can't comment on Pilates, but yoga is fabulous for my shoulders and upper back. The twists (and especially arm binds when you get that far) really help, as do poses that get your arms behind you. Shoulderstand in particular does wonders for tightness and knots in my upper back.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #5  
The Last 10lbs!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5ft3in

Default I love yoga!

I recently started doing yoga and I love it. It has totally improved my posture which has made all the difference. When you learn correct posture, your whole body becomes aligned.
sydneydonaldson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #7  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

Check out this thread I just posted:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fitn...a-pilates.html

This series of videos is amazing. The instructor, Kristin McGee is pretty awesome and it's just challenging enough with modifications. Plus, it's all vinyasa flow yoga which gets your heart rate up and is good for fat loss.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #8  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

I like Baron Baptiste's Core Power. It's Vinyasa. You can get it at collage video.
Releve is offline   Reply With Quote