Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Default Recommend a video for a total exercise newbie?

Ok, I will be honest. I have not exercised in 5 years or more. I walk around my school campus a lot, but I don't have a fit bone in my body. What are some good exercise videos I can work with for a total exercise newbie? I like yoga, but I am looking for a good calorie burn as well.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #2  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

When I started working out regularly earlier this year, I started by just walking my dog a mile around the neighborhood.

I graduated to checking out the workout videos available On Demand from Comcast.

I really liked Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. It's a good indoor power walk that had 1-4 mile variations. http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone...pr_product_top

Once my body got used to the 1 mile workout, I did the 2 mile workout. But I still fell back on the 1 mile if I was pressed for time.

THEN I found Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I started doing that a few times a week until I could handle more. Now I do it daily. If you're really brave I would say start with that! You'll work your way up. But I think most would suggest starting with something easier. http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michae...2199263&sr=1-1
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  

Thanks Metal Chick. I think I will try going for walks first and try out these videos, too, after I gain some endurance.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

hey mikan,

i dont know what cable provider, if any, you have, but many have on demand programming which provides fitness videos for free at your convenience. My cable has everything from yoga to some weird bedroom workout thing. This is where i found and fell in love with all of jillian michael's videos, find something that fits your schedule (i do a 45 min video 2-3x a week) and that fits your fitness. worst thing that can happen is that 10 mins in you realize the video is too difficult or painful, so you stop it and try something new tomorrow.

good luck!
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 AM   #5  

thanks, medinazarley.

I actually saw the Jillian Michaels video "30 day shred" on sale at target for under 9$ today so I bought it. I will keep an eye out for free trials of videos on cable and what not. I decided on this dvd because so many people recommend it, so I thought, "why not?"
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

30 day shred is a good (and popular) one, but its a toughie. good luck and don't over do it!
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Do you have netflix? There are several videos available under the watch instantly collection, plus a bunch more that you can get in the mail. We have a Roku box and watch streaming netflix on the tv so I've been trying some over the past few days. The Crunch videos are okay. I just quit when I've had enough and since I'm a total newbie I only last about 20 minutes, lol.

I also have the Walk Away the Pounds dvd and love it but it's boring. My kids do that one with me too, though and they think it's fun. They just go do something else after awhile though..
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyinAL View Post
Do you have netflix? There are several videos available under the watch instantly collection, plus a bunch more that you can get in the mail. We have a Roku box and watch streaming netflix on the tv so I've been trying some over the past few days. The Crunch videos are okay. I just quit when I've had enough and since I'm a total newbie I only last about 20 minutes, lol.

I also have the Walk Away the Pounds dvd and love it but it's boring. My kids do that one with me too, though and they think it's fun. They just go do something else after awhile though..

I did have netflix, but I didn't use it enough to justify the payments from my bank account every month (lol). I figure why not just try some work out dvds based on recommendations. I know what you mean about quitting into the exercise.. it is SO tough to do anything after not doing exercise for a good 5 years.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

I also suggest Jillian's 30 Day Shred!! She's brutal, honest and gets results!!
I aboslutly love her!!!! She's my health and fitness idol!!
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #10  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Awesome, Mikan! You'll love it. Well, at first you might hate it actually, but you'll love it when you realize the results! Hang in there and read the 30DS thread for inspiration. You can do it!

And I agree, Jenn! Jillian is a fitness goddess!
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #11  

Yup I tried it today. I could barely type a couple hours afterward, but I feel really good right now. I wish to keep this up everyday. Thanks for the suggestions everyone and I will still keep other ones in mind. BTW, I noticed walmart (which I don't shop at a lot) has the best prices on fitness videos. (better than amazon).
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/241/170

I really enjoy the Walk Away the Pounds series. I find a lot of videos are super confusing to follow and I seem to stick with the simpler the better.
Girly2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #13  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Have you checked your local public library? I was interested in Yoga and found some at the library. Of course the one I liked was a VCR tape...but it gave me the idea of what yoga was before I bought one.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #14  

Cathydoe,

That is such a good idea, I think I will go soon and check out what they have. Sometimes I am surprised the kind of things I can get at the library. I can probably order in the ones I want, because I am with LA public library. Thanks !
Old 01-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #15  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

You may be able to check out what they have online...that is what I did before I went to the library...I was ahead of the game
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote