Old 02-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #1  

Default Starting P90X 2/23

Hi! I don't know if anyone else is interested but I just ordered the P90X videos and wanted to see if anyone else wanted to start around the same time for moral support? Even if you don't want to start the P90X series, any other workout series support is welcome!

Maybe put down your goals and try to stick with them, I have found being accountable on here really helps!

Jen

My plan this week: 3 1/2 hour sessions on the elliptical and 1 hour at my core training class.........leading up to next weeks P90X!

Last edited by j27kaiser; 02-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.
j27kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yay another p90x'er! Well, I'm not doing it right now (my goals have changed) but it is a FANTASTIC program. Most p90x'ers are in the weight & resistence training forum here. There is also the official website (milliondollarbeachbody) that has a p90x-only forum. I recommend checking it out.

And yes PREPARE for p90x because it is not for the weak! It is a fabulous program if you follow it.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #3  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I'm considering purchasing the p90x however I'd like to find out more about it. I do have a gym membership and I enjoy going to the gym- I wonder if I can make notes of what I'm supposed to do and do the workout at the gym or do I really need to watch the video while doing the actual workout. Anyone know? I've read many wonderful reviews online regarding p90x.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #4  

Sacha - Thanks for the help I will check out that area

bananapancakes - Most of the stuff I have seen so far in the dvd's aren't things that you do at the gym, I don't know exactly what machine does what muscle and which of his move associates with certain muscles. I'm a whatever hurts like **** in the morning is what must be working out.

Hope that helps

Jen
j27kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #5  

Height: 6'0

My boyfriend and I just started P90X this week. It is HARD!!! The only problem that I have had with it is their diet plan. Does anyone else find it utterly confusing? I tried to actually make the meals that they suggest-talk about a ton of cash!!!! the "chef salad" that they suggest ended up costing over $20 for our salads. We have veered away from their diet plan and instead chose to go with a lean high protein low carb diet. It has only been a few days, but I am already feeling better about myself and find that I have much more energy.
navygirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #6  
Just Beachy

S/C/G: 183/137/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi!
I started P90X 5 days ago and am loving the program. The hardest video to date for me has been the YogaX. WTH! hehe.

Have you been taking pictures? I have. Wow I have a big gut! I must hide my post-preggers belly well because a friend saw the pics on my computer and was like, 'is that you????"

I also need to start doing cardio on my own daily. My cardio I mean at least a 1.5 mile walk with my dog.
AlphaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #7  

OMG! the Yogax was HORRIBLE! I was expecting a nice relaxing break. OMG. When it came to the part where you had to put one hand behind your back and then grab it with your other hand under your leg, I about died. Obviously this was not meant for the big girls heh heh heh. I am loving it though. I have been on it for less than a week and my pants are already fitting A LOT better. What kind of diet have you been doing on it? my BF and I took pics, but I wouldnt look at mine and he wouldnt look at his lol. Hopefully after the one month marker we will look and be pleasently surprised! let me know how you do on it!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #8  
Just Beachy

that's cool you and your BF are doing it together. My DH isn't into working out, so I'm flying solo. But I've never had a workout partner, so you are lucky!

yeah my shoulders are a tad sore....
i'm about to start the legs/back workout. i wonder how it's gonna be!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #9  

I just did the legs/back...it wasn't too bad (compared to yoga x that is lol). The hardest part for me was the wall squats. Eeeek!! the ab ripper (I think that is what it is called) is no joke! I couldnt even finish it....and let me tell you, I can usually do some situps! Are you taking the vitamins and replenishment drinks?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #10  

btw, what does DH mean?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #11  
Just Beachy

DH- dear hubbY

Um, yeah I didn't think the legs/back was too terrible either. the calf exercises did start to kill towards the end...
oops! totally forgot to do the ab ripper. ugh, well i'll wait until the bachelor is over and then i'll do it.

and no i'm not doing the vitamins/supplements. I'm not hard core about the program like maybe others are.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #12  

I was in a fitness competition (just among friends) last year and I decided to do P90X to get ready. P90X is an excellent program but as with anything, it needs to be customized and it does have some limitation - I needed to lose 10 lbs and a couple points of body fat in about 16 weeks.

I had mixed results - they tell you very clearly that it is not a weight loss program - very true - not a lot of cardio involved - if you are above-average cardiovascular fit - Plyo X becomes easy after a few weeks and you barely break a sweat with Kenpo X (it is fun though). Most of the other workouts are not cardio-based. Having said that - the Legs/Back video is GREAT - hits the major muscles in a lot of different ways but stays close enough to the basic exercises to get good results. I thought the arms and shoulders video was great also. As for YogaX - I think I stopped doing it after two or three tries - I am used to being on the go and was bored out of my mind - I am sure it is important and has great benefits - I just could not do it - plus I had a hip flexor injury which limits my range of motion on one side - I started doing some type of cardio on YogaX days.

As far as the eating plan - the book stresses you have to eat to lose and also that the number of calories should be generally customized - I tried the prescribed number - I was doing P90X Classic - but found that I was eating too much - I dropped the calories by a couple hundred then I lacked energy -bumped them up by a bit - this middle ground worked for me.

Final thoughts - I think it is a great program for men, good program for women who are in maintenance mode. My boyfriend does not do P90X but his regimen is VERY similar - he is in awesome shape - the formula works for men. For women like me (certainly not true for all women), it is necessary to add cardio to lean down. I gain muscle very easily - so I could see the results in my arms, shoulders, and legs in probably in as little as two weeks - very good definition. Still carried some fat though that I think would have been burned with a higher cardio ratio. The lesson for me is to customize the program to suit my body type or to make it into something my body most responds to. Competition ended in December and I lost - I have been travelling since but now I am back at home, I am getting back on the workout bandwagon - P90X will be part of it - but just several of the videos incorporated with running (I am not a runner but I love new challenges and thrive on variety- I am going to sign up for a 5k) and two days of strength training at the gym.

Last edited by Amped; 03-03-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Amped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #13  

Height: 6"1"

I have a question about P90X. How much space does this require? I watched the informercial and saw some of the moves. I don't think I have enough open space to even try this program.
Sockerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/205/130

Hi,i just ordered the p90x and i can't wait toget started.I will check back here when i start it.:carrot :
marybeth60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #15  
Just Beachy

It takes about zero space in your living room.
We have a smaller living room PLUS my neighbor who lives below us (argh!!!) likes to inform me constantly she hears squeaks from her ceiling/our floor. So as much as I don't want to do what she asks, I limit myself to an area between my couch and tv and haven't had any issues.

My guess for the amount of space needed would be for you to stand and take two big steps forward and two big side steps. but again, that's just my opinion