Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

Default Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred

Hey Fellow Exercisers!

Has anyone tried Jillian's new video? I picked it up at Best Buy this weekend for $12.99. The DVD has 3 workouts, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Each one is about 28 minutes including a quick warm-up and cool-down.

I consider myself fairly in shape, but tried the Beginner workout this morning to get a feel for things and it is nicely challenging. The moves are very basic, but since it is only 28 minutes, I didn't get bored by any means. (Man, I can't wait to get better at pushups.)

Just curious if anyone is using this one. It says "Lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days." on the cover. Now, I'm definitely not expecting that, but I'm wondering what the program is supposed to be? Since weights are invovled, I'm thinking you're not supposed to use the routine every day. I was planning on every other day.

I'd love to hear any input!
LeighHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I read about her new DVD coming out, too. I have exercise tv and on there I saw some free workouts on there of hers. They're labeled 30day shred 1 and 2. Theyre about 30 minutes long. I don't know if theyre the same ones. This one has you doing jumping jacks, punches, lunges with weights, abs plus a cool down and warm up. I did it last night and this morning. I like it!
ttugurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #3  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I tried these, they are GREAT, she gives a KILLER workout as does Bob on his DVD's. Seriously the BEST 30 workout I have ever tried, she really kicks ***!
I think if anyone did this 30 days in a row, they would be truly have to lose some wieght, but I think her promise of 20 lbs is associated with her website and a diet as well!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the input ladies! I'm ready to look buff.
LeighHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #5  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

The weights are a form of cardio for this workout, you can alternate between weights and no weights or heavier weights. With 3 lb weights you are okay going everyday with them.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've done these on-demand too, and I agree - both times I got a serious butt-kicking, and I do cardio and strength train on a regular basis.

It was a great way to get some extra oomph into my workouts in a short-ish period of time. And I agree - she somehow KNOWS when you're ready to give up and gives just a little bit of encouragement to get you through.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

I would at least wait a day in between. Weights might be light, but they are still training, plus there are a few body weight exercise in there. You need to give your muscles a day of rest and repair before you go at them again.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #8  
Determined to succeed.

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5' 3"

I just ordered this from Amazon last night and I also have the On Demand version which I'm about to try now. I watched parts of it yesterday after doing my Turbo Jam DVD and it seems very serious - no dance-y movements. Just straight-forward no-nonsense exercise. 20 lbs in 30 days would be awesome! But I'm not holding my breath!!
Gracenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #9  
Determined to succeed.

Default This workout is NOT easy!

Just did the workout and I was kind of scared that Jillian was going to come out of the TV and say "Pick up the pace fatty!!! You're never going to lose weight unless you push yourself beyond your limit!" While I doing the jumping jacks I was huffing and puffing, huge boobies bouncing all around uncontrollably, I really wanted to stop. Then she goes (paraphrasing) "If you're looking for a modification for jumping jacks, there isn't one! I know 400-lb people who can do jumping jacks... and so can you." Man, they were hard, but that comment made me push a little harder. Her tough attitude really did help me to push myself to my own limit. She's absolutely right. She keeps saying "You are capable of this" and the amazing thing is that I actually believe it. Yeah, it was hella hard for me -- but that's what I need to get out of my comfort zone. Actually, the workout got easier towards the middle and end for me and it went by REALLY fast.

Bottom line - if you need someone to help give you a nice firm kick in the pants, this workout might be good for you.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

I'm curious, did she incorporate push ups and mountain climbers?
I had the Winning by Losing DVD. Oh my. Oh my.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes and Yes on the pushups and mountain climbers
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #12  
Determined to succeed.

Hi Jennifer,

There was one set of push ups in the beginning, which I had to do on my knees and take a break in the middle! I'm not sure what mountain climber was but I don't remember hearing that term for the first workout (there are 3 workouts total, I only did the first one). There was something called butt kicks, where you literally kick your own butt (basically running in place, but with more intensity).

Like I said though, the workout really flies by quickly and before you know it it's all over..
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/199/150

I did Bob's Cardio Max yesterday on Exercise TV on-demand. I saw afterwards that 30 day Shred was on there so I previewed it. I'm going to do it tonight after reading your posts. I'm sore from Bob's workout so I can only imagine what Shred will do to me! I heard that you are supposed to do this daily? Sounds like there is mixed information out there on that. I wonder what Jillian intended...

Last edited by youngchick; 04-04-2008 at 10:59 AM.
youngchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #14  
~

S/C/G: 200/174.6/140

Height: 5'8

I just tried this this morning! Exercise TV on demand. Does anyone know how long this will be free on demand, and how many calories it burns?
Pinkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #15  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

I just purchased her DVD online earlier today. I'm expecting it to arrive within a week or so. The threads above mention push-ups. I won't be able to do the push-ups since I hurt my shoulder about 3 weeks ago doing just that. I've scheduled an appointment to see a chiropractor to see what's wrong. Until then, I've had to stay away from a lot of upper body workouts. It even hurts when I sleep. This has set my workouts back a bit. But I'm looking forward to doing whatever else I can on the DVD.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote