Old 05-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #1  

Default Can anyone recommend a yoga video for beginners?

I've been having some back problems lately, so I'm thinking about trying out Yoga. I've heard it's great for your back. Anyways, I think I'd rather start just in my house instead of going to a class, so I was looking for a good video to start with. Any suggestions?
bumblebee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #2  
PinkMermaid-on-SouthBeach

S/C/G: 176/161.5/120 Down 15 lbs!!!

Height: 5'2

Default Not yoga, but back strengthener

I don't have any god yoga tapes that I like. They are all slightly boring to me. However, I have this 10 MINUTE SOLUTION FOR PILATES. It is ten minutes and a lot of the exercises are back strentheners and it has really helped my back. There are 5 ten minute work outs for trouble areas and comes with resistance band inside. I hope this helps. Oh ya, I got it at Wal-Mart for ten dollars.

Jabr
jabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I truly enjoyed Yoga: Just My Size with Megan Garcia. I also use her book MegaYoga. I'm a rather plus-sized gal, and was when I began using it, too. The moves are things anyone of any size can do, though!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

You can do Yoga with Leslie Sansone is a very nice video. The first part she goes thru and shows you how to do the yoga moves. The second half you do the yoga moves with her. She also has a You can do Pilate's video. She does the same thing for this video. The first half she shows you how to do the exercises and the second half you do them with her.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 05-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I am a beginner too and was very intimidated with some of the videos I checked out of the library to try. I second the vote for Just My Size Yoga. It's a great entry level workout, the positions are not difficult, but I definitely felt like my muscles had been working. I looove yoga. I like the WATP videos, but I didn't know Leslie had a yoga one, I'll have to watch for it.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #6  

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check some of these out. I've heard great things about Pilates also, especially for your back, so I will definitely look into that also. Thanks again!
bumblebee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I just ordered "Yoga for Inflexible People" off of Amazon.com. I have bad back problems and the DVD looked promising. I'll post more here when I get it and try it...
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post
I just ordered "Yoga for Inflexible People" off of Amazon.com. I have bad back problems and the DVD looked promising. I'll post more here when I get it and try it...
While I really like this video, be careful. It is meant to help with flexibility by combining moves that use gravity to challenge the muscles to stretch. This is a good thing, but I have found that I can be a bit sore after some of the workouts.

I also like Giam's Yoga For Weightloss trio (Quickstart, Conditioning, & Maintaining). The video has 4 views from beginning to advanced and different props are used for each view.

Whatever video you choose, make sure that you have yoga blocks to help support you in challenging poses.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #9  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

What a coincidence! My very aptly named yoga for beginners DVD was in the mail today - it's called "Yoga for Beginners" with Barbara Benagh. I'll give it a try tomorrow or Monday and report back!
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote