Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #136  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

cathy
Thank you . It seems to be melting off. Put a couple of pounds back on when I had all that sodium but it is gone now. Doing a weigh in tomorrow so I can change my ticker lol. Knocking on wood because it doesn't seem like it should be this easy to lose weight lol. I don't do anything special. Eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups and stay within some general ranges of calories, fats and carbs for myself. The exercise doesn't seem to have effected my weight loss. I was losing about a pound a week before I started to exercise, I am still losing a pound a week lol. The toning that I am seeing is well worth the effort of all the exercise.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

well dang Shy! I really do NEED to come hang out with you if the pounds are just melting off! I don't even know what that is like! but I sure would love for it to rub off on me!

CONGRATS!!!
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #138  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hello all...

Exercise today was:
LS Slim & Thin=30 mns.
LS Shape & Firm=30 mns.
Denise Austins Burn Fat Fast=30 mns.
Weights, Bike & jumpe rope=20 mns.

Feeling good about getting it all done earlier than usual.

Cathy...good for getting back on track.

Rennie...I agree 50 pounds,

Fawn, Dixie, and everyone else...keep up the good work!

Have a great day ladies!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #139  
Rennie

Cathy
I really think a great deal of it has to do with attitude. When I was finally told the meads were pretty much out of my system and I could TRY, yes she said TRY she wasn't very supportive, to lose weight. I was ready. I was tired of looking like I looked. I was tired of not being able to walk up the stairs without having to pause to breath. I was tired of not being able to find nice clothes to wear. I was tired of feeling ugly and old.

I now weigh what my daughter weighs. She is a couple of inches taller than me and for some reason looks bigger than I do. Guess because we are built differently. I really worry for her. Her weight is eating habits not meads ( she eats balanced meals at home but at age 17 and working I have no control over what she eats when she isn't home ) and I worry if she is about 20 pounds over weight now, is she going to stay there or get larger as she gets older. Just about all of the woman in the family are very large woman. Part of what I am doing is showing her you don't have to do without to lose weight and get in shape. You have to be reasonable about what you put into your body. Thank God, and I do thank him, she has started to decide to watch what she eats. She is eating more and more of what I eat and this is good for her. I told her you can't have the good stuff lol low fat ice cream and low fat frozen yogurt and not eat all the other things too. It doesn't work that way. Now if I could just get her to exercise with me lol. Well, at least exercise, she laughs to much watching me exercise.

Ok, ok, so they are never going to put me in an exercise video. What do you mean not melting off you, you have lost 21 pounds so far. Sounds to me like the weight is melting off you too.

Maybe I am doing well because I have no preconceived notions of losing weight. I have never had to lose weight before this so I don't expect anything. Anytime I lose a pound I am happy.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Just finished a mile walk outside.. going to do my 3 mile video later tonight. I'M BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS!
Enygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #141  
Rennie

eny
Makes you feel great to get back on track.

Today

Walk At Home Walk Slim With Leslie Sansone Fast Start 4 Fast Miles ( 51 Min )

Walk Away The Pounds With Leslie Sansone 2 Mile High Calorie Burn ( 32 Min )

Last edited by Shy Moment; 04-23-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 177.4/CW/135.0

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all walkers.

Monday:
30-minute brisk walk to bus station.
60-minute walk at night with walking buddy.

Tuesday:
Leslie Sansone 3-mile Walk Away Your Waistline with belt
Leslie Sansone - last mile of the 3-Mile Express Walk

I have a question for all of you experts that's been on my mind for a while now.

You read everywhere that if you change nothing else in your lifestyle but just walk 30 minutes 3 or more times a week, you will slowly start losing weight (i.e. about 1-2 lbs. a month). I've been exercising - mainly outdoor walking and WATP, 1 hour per day, 5 or 6 days a week since the end of December.

I am no longer counting points (WW) or calories, but I do eat healthy and balanced meals and snacks (some healthy, some not so much but always within reason) but on the whole I've never in my life felt so good about my nutrition. So my question is, how come I can't even lose 1 lbs. a month? In fact my weight is again steadily going up. I've put on 5 lbs. in 5 months. I'd love for it to go the other way lol.

Just to clarify, I don't keep an actual calorie journal anymore, but a few days a week, I'll do a spot check of what I'm eating, write it ALL down, tally it up and then throw the paper away. My average weekly range is healthy - not too low, not too high.

I feel strong and healthy, my body size and shape have changed a little - I can feel it in my clothes - I've finally made peace with the fact that I will not lose 10 lbs. a week!!! - and I know each of these accomplishments should be a victory in itself!!!, but I also know that I'm a good 25 lbs. over my mid-healthy weight range and I'd love to see the scale go down, no matter how slowly it happens.

If "they" say: all you need is exercise and it's not working, now what?

I'm 5'5", 46 years old, 164 lbs.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
dixiecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #143  

Hey Shy - just for the record, I thought I would explain, that I didn't start losing weight until July 2004 when I finally found a doc to treat my low thyroid problem and I started on Armour Thyroid. So it's taken me 4 years to get 21 lbs off. I really wish the pounds melted off of me (oh how I wish) but at this point all I can do is be happy that I'm not gaining and that I see a pound finally let loose every few months. Before the Armour I was gaining weight like crazy and I was trying to do exactly what I try to do now - walking and calorie counting.

Dixie - everything that I've read and heard says to exercise 3 times a week, 30 minutes each to maintain your health - not to lose weight. Most now just say to exercise 30 minutes every day, and I still take that as more for your health rather than weight loss. I guess if someone did not exercise and started walking 30 minutes every day 5 times a week - they would see some weight loss - but to me 3 times a week is just not enough for weight loss. I realize you are exercising more than that. At 5'5" and 164 lbs it doesn't sound like you have much weight to lose. I don't think most people are made to be a stick. A 25 lb loss may be too much for your body. But I am postive that walking an hour 5 or 6 days a week that you have replaced muscle for fat - as you said - you can tell the difference in your clothes and you feel strong and healthy.

As you can tell from my message back to Shy - weightloss is really really really slow for me - so I've had to get to the place where I am somewhat satisfied and content just knowing that I'm eating healthy and exercising and feeling good - and remember to do all the right things for those reasons - rather than just for the weightloss. Believe me, it's hard bec I want so badly to lose weight.....ok I'm rambling, and I'm not really answering your question at all....just wanted to say that I think it's AWESOME that you're walking for an hour a day 5 or 6 days a week.

I got up early and did 2 miles this morning.

I've also noticed that since I started journaling again this week that I've been eating way too many calories. But that is in the past - it's nice to feel like I'm back on track.

hope everybody has a blessed day!
hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 04-23-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #144  

Cathy: thanks so much for your input. Like I said earlier, I'm finally at peace with losing slowly, I just figured that 4 months of a good daily cardio workout would help a little ;(

Actually anything over 150 lbs. puts my BMI at "overweight", so I'd be really happy to be back at 140 lbs. - just so that ALL the clothes in my closet would fit!!! It cost me a fortune when I lost weight and I just don't feel like buying a whole new work/home/weekend/events wardrobe. *sigh*

I'm not giving up! I feel great and I know I'm doing my body good. And you're right, being healthy is what it's all about.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #145  

Dixie - you said "it cost me a fortune when I lost weight" ....I was wondering - how did you lose weight before?

I would think that 4 months of a good daily cardio would help a person lose weight too. I just find it's really slow for most people - especially as we get older (gosh I hate those words "as we get older")

I'm sure somebody will have much better input then I do on what it takes to lose weight.....as you can tell I'm not very good at it
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #146  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Todays workout...

LS Slim & thin=30 mns
LS Shape & Firm=30 mns
LS Sculpt & Burn=40 mns
Treadmill=20 mns

And I am happy to say I am done!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #147  

Cathy: Your input is very good! I figure a slow metabolism and menopause not too far off might be part of the problem.

I lost 40 lbs. on Weight Watchers At Work Program. It took me 16 months. It's not the WW that was expensive - our office actually paid for registration fees and at the end of each session, reimbursed us 25% of our costs. The expensive part was the clothes! I went from a tight size 16 to a loose size 8 and some size 6. As soon as I went down a size, I'd buy new skirts, pants and tops for work, then as I stayed at size 8 for a steady period of time, I added leisure wear and fancier stuff. I gave everything away as soon as it was too big because I was convinced "this was the one" time when I wouldn't gain it back! Time proved me wrong, unfortunately. I maintained for almost a year and since the Fall of 2007, I've gone from 135 to 165. That's 30 lbs. I'd be thrilled to see 140 (i.e. size 8). My closet is bursting with clothes for all 4 seasons. I don't wanna have to re-stock.

I'm hanging in and continuing my training with Leslie. 5 Advanced Miles tonight when I get home from work! Woo-hoo!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #148  
Rennie

Frou
Thank you, doesn't seem that long ago I weighed 198 and was just starting to do what was healthy for me.

Dixie
I am 46, 4 foot 11 inches. I have a bad thyroid but not bad enough to get meads. Doc said this was to bad because she thought I could use the meads. I have a slow metabolism. I have been in pre menopause since I was about 29. Ya fun. I do anywhere between 6 and 10 miles of walking/aerobic videos Monday to Friday each day and about 40 min of some kind of resistance training three days a week. I think I am going back down to 6 miles a day because the extra miles are really beating up my knees. I see no difference at all with the weight loss rate from before I started to exercise and now. I have been doing this for months. I now know, for me, exercise is something I do because it is good for the body. The toning that is going on is fantastic BUT it is not for weight loss. I do stay within some general ranges for myself calories 1200 to 1400, fat 30 to 35 grams and carbs 180 to 210. I love fit day because it is so very easy to use. I make sure I use the amounts off of packages because fit day, I have found, is very inaccurate. You might be surprised if you kept track of what you are eating. You may well find you are taking in more calories, fat and carbs than you think you are. I do know, for myself, if I don't keep track I take in more than I think I am. I do not mix what I eat and how much I exercise. They are totally different. I don't eat more because I have exercised more. I do not eat less because I have exercised less.

I think sometimes we just have to tweak what we are doing. Maybe pay a little more attention to what we are eating. Using something, rather it be paper and pencil or fit day, is a great way to do this. Things add up and we don't even noticed that sometimes unless we can see it in black and white. Exercise, I believe the recommend amount is 30 min of walking or 2 miles brisk walking a day 3 days a week, just to maintain weight and health. Most of us, I know this includes me, need more than this. Probably at least double this.

Cathy
I think sometimes if we know we are eating in a healthy range and we know we are doing enough exercise for our body's. We have to be happy with how things are going. Weight loss isn't fast for everyone. For some people they drop tons of weight all the time, for some it is a pound a week, for others it is much slower than that. There really is only so much a person can do.

We eat right, we exercise. The side effect is we lose weight. What a great side effect.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #149  

I need to post here. WATP is my favorite video. So far I do 1-2 miles per day.
bluemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #150  
Rennie

blue
Welcome, most of us are Leslie Sanone junkies lol.