Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #1  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Lightbulb Featherweights' Favorite Weight Loss Tips! :-)

There is another thread, "Featherweights' Favorite Fitness Tips," but I wanted to make this more specifically about weight loss. Please feel free to post anything you feel has been helpful to you, and/or might assist others in their weight loss journey. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 07-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #2  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Exclamation

I saw an article today from 2006 with some interesting research. It was found that those who specifically thought about what they'd had to eat earlier in the day ate less later in the day! That's a little simplified, but it's the gist. Here's an excerpt:

snip "...in order to look at the effects of memory on eating for those of us who have intact memory systems, Suzanne Higgs conducted a study with individuals who did not suffer from any brain damage3. In her first study, participants (all female) were given a full lunch in the lab, and after 2-4 hours, they were either asked to think about what they had for lunch or told to think about whatever they wanted (control condition), and then given what they were told was an unrelated cookie taste-testing task. The participants who had been asked to think about what they had for lunch ate fewer cookies than those in the control condition, indicating that remembering their previous meal decreased their desire to eat. In her second experiment, participants were given a full lunch, as in the first study, and after 2-4 hours they were asked to either think about that day’s lunch (same-day condition), to think about what they’d had for lunch the previous day (previous-day condition), or to think about whatever they wanted (control condition). Participants in the same-day condition ate less than those in the other two, while there was no significant difference in eating between the previous-day and control conditions. Interestingly, participants’ ratings of their hunger didn’t differ in any of the conditions in either experiment. They simply ate less if they remembered that day’s meal." snip

http://scienceblogs.com/mixingmemory...r-eating-it-i/

I'll have to try that! I do tend to kind of mentally review what I've eaten during the day after an "up day," just to put myself to sleep! But this is a little different, and may be worth a try - if I can remember to do it. I kind of feel, sometimes, like the amnesiac patients they described at the beginning, who literally forget anything that happened more than a minute ago.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

Well I don't have actual research to cite supporting these tips but here are some of my favorites:

1) Eat more frequent smaller meals (every 3-4 hours). Breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner, and small evening snack is my favorite.

2) Drink a ton of tea! Green tea, ginger tea (helps digestion), chamomile tea before bed. Just having something in my hand to drink helps cut down on snacking. Plus I read that having hot drinks just before meals helps you eat less. I sweeten tea with stevia.

3)Keep small protein snacks readily available (plain yogurt, deli chicken, hard boiled eggs, non fat cottage cheese).

4) Find new recipes to make. I find browsing Pinterest and blogs helps keep me motivated to try new things, and actually get excited about healthy food. My favorite long time blog source is Kalyns Kitchen. Also, learn to love shiritaki noodles!

5) Make a lot of food and package it up for leftovers. Some days I just can't find the energy to cook, so I am grateful for those tupperware containers of leftovers. My favorites are egg muffins, oat bran muffins (dukan approved), any egg white quiche.

Last edited by chubbysmall; 07-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #4  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbysmall View Post
Well I don't have actual research to cite supporting these tips but here are some of my favorites:

1) Eat more frequent smaller meals (every 3-4 hours). Breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner, and small evening snack is my favorite.

2) Drink a ton of tea! Green tea, ginger tea (helps digestion), chamomile tea before bed. Just having something in my hand to drink helps cut down on snacking. Plus I read that having hot drinks just before meals helps you eat less. I sweeten tea with stevia.

3)Keep small protein snacks readily available (plain yogurt, deli chicken, hard boiled eggs, non fat cottage cheese).

4) Find new recipes to make. I find browsing Pinterest and blogs helps keep me motivated to try new things, and actually get excited about healthy food. My favorite long time blog source is Kalyns Kitchen. Also, learn to love shiritaki noodles!

5) Make a lot of food and package it up for leftovers. Some days I just can't find the energy to cook, so I am grateful for those tupperware containers of leftovers. My favorites are egg muffins, oat bran muffins (dukan approved), any egg white quiche.
Thanks, CS, and welcome! Those are wonderful tips, and I find them extremely useful myself. Looking forward to checking out Kalyns Kitchen!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #5  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Lightbulb

CS, when you mentioned shiritaki noodles, it reminded me of zucchini noodles, which I've been wanting to try. I just looked at Kaylyn's Kitchen, and this was on their front page:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2015/07...dles.html#more

Can't wait to try it!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 07-21-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerWerks View Post
CS, when you mentioned shiritaki noodles, it reminded me of zucchini noodles, which I've been wanting to try. I just looked at Kaylyn's Kitchen, and this was on their front page:

Can't wait to try it!
Yes, I just bought a zucchini noodle spiralizer and a hand held Veggetti. I plan to test it out on my next Protein+vegetable day!

I also love asian style food, so the shiritaki angel hair noodles are delicious. Totally low carb/calorie/no sugar and guilt free.

My favorite of all time Kaylyn Kitchen recipe is Baked white fish with onions, peppers, olives, and feta. So so so yummy!

Last edited by chubbysmall; 07-22-2015 at 03:27 PM.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #7  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I just bought a Vegetti so I am super excited about trying it out! I've seen a bunch of people on IG post their photos of the zucchini noodles and it looks pretty good!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #8  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbysmall View Post
Yes, I just bought a zucchini noodle spiralizer and a hand held Veggetti. I plan to test it out on my next Protein+vegetable day!

I also love asian style food, so the shiritaki angel hair noodles are delicious. Totally low carb/calorie/no sugar and guilt free.

My favorite of all time Kaylyn Kitchen recipe is Baked white fish with onions, peppers, olives, and feta. So so so yummy!
Oh, that sounds really good. And that zoodle recipe, above, has feta in it, too! I have a spiralizer, but have yet to open it. Maybe I'll find it tomorrow and do the grand unveiling!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #9  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
I just bought a Vegetti so I am super excited about trying it out! I've seen a bunch of people on IG post their photos of the zucchini noodles and it looks pretty good!
Thanks, KK! That gives me more incentive to search it out - i kind of don't remember where I put it after Christmas - last.

Last edited by HungerWerks; 07-22-2015 at 11:58 PM.