Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #76  
life is not a rehearsal

S/C/G: 62/60.5/50

Height: 5"4

HW - 24 is AU6 so American 0- small 2 to my understanding, 25 would be closer to 2 (but depends on the stretch of the jeans of course).

I have recently found out that I am both lactose and gluten intolerant and have been ignoring this as the symptoms are fairly minor. However now I think I will take it seriously, as I am also asthmatic and apparently dairy products and gluten contribute to asthma symptoms too.

Will try to have more rice I guess, and tofu and vegetables. I'm a bit stumped as I am always on the go so need to find restaurants/cafes that provide these foods rather than cooking at home.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Oneten; 02-18-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Oneten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Oneten, I am lactose intolerant too, but I love cheese and ice cream too much to stay away, lol. I find that as long as I have at least some dairy everyday, instead of only occasionally, the symptoms are not so bad, and the rest I just deal with as being worth it! YMMV though. And of course there's always Lactaid!! Miracle worker. Just can't buy it here!

I need some motivation today. Had a loooong sleepless night with the baby, and have a long day ahead of me alone at home. Tired + stress + bored = eating all day on junk food, but I don't want to do that today, so.... I'm giving myself permission to lay in bed with baby and watch hours an hours of Netflix.
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #78  
life is not a rehearsal

Mottainai - do you use tumblr? I find posting pictures and quotes therapeutic and it's a billion times better than pinterest.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #79  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

HW - HA! Love that "goal shirt". Teriffic.

Oneten - I think I'm slightly lactose intolerant, too. They say it just gets worse with age. Wonderful...

Mottainai - Laying in bed watching Netflix w the babe sounds like a pretty sweet day (minus the stress, of course...). If I have a long unstructured day ahead of me, I find it helps to plan out my meals (or an approximation of my meals) so that I can have something to look forward to and not go too far off the rails. Did your project get done???

~~~

So minutes after my post yesterday, I got terrible news that a friend from church had a massive seizure and passed away yesterday morning. She was young, married with a 6 year old son. Completely unexpected. I thought it was an awful misunderstanding at first. Still kind of in shock. Her husband runs the AV team and I do powerpoints with him on Sunday mornings. Still can't believe it. Was just with their family on Sunday.

Food was minimal yesterday, but really weird. Got home super late and ate a can of sauerkraut and condensed milk (emotional eating for sure...) weight is back up to 150.8. Ugh. I also think that I'm mid cycle, which doesn't help at all.

Just turned in our proposal (was a bit hairy in the office up until the final hour, but alls well that ends well, I hope...) Oy.

Have a small group tonight, then hoping to do some more work on a personal project that I have. I'm about 10% done and have given myself a soft due date of Sunday. We'll see how that works....

Have a fantastic feather day, everyone!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #80  
life is not a rehearsal

Oh Alexis, so sorry to hear about your friend
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #81  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneten View Post
HW - 24 is AU6 so American 0- small 2 to my understanding, 25 would be closer to 2 (but depends on the stretch of the jeans of course).

I have recently found out that I am both lactose and gluten intolerant and have been ignoring this as the symptoms are fairly minor. However now I think I will take it seriously, as I am also asthmatic and apparently dairy products and gluten contribute to asthma symptoms too.

Will try to have more rice I guess, and tofu and vegetables. I'm a bit stumped as I am always on the go so need to find restaurants/cafes that provide these foods rather than cooking at home.

Any ideas?
I can relate to the asthma/dairy thing. I had asthma very badly as a kid (didn't happen a lot, but seemed serious when it did), and then it came back with a vengeance when I was in my 20s. Somehow I learned that dairy can contribute by - please forgive me - making people have more mucous. So I gave it up, back then, and the asthma went away almost immediately!

I have since started to have dairy, but not in the quantities I was before. And if I do have a larger amount, the symptoms can come back. But it freaks me out so much I back off easily.

Intermittent fasting is supposed to help asthma, I guess because it reduces inflammation, but that would be something you'd have to talk with your doctor about.

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-20-2015 at 11:47 AM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #82  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistrophic View Post
HW - HA! Love that "goal shirt". Teriffic.

Oneten - I think I'm slightly lactose intolerant, too. They say it just gets worse with age. Wonderful...

Mottainai - Laying in bed watching Netflix w the babe sounds like a pretty sweet day (minus the stress, of course...). If I have a long unstructured day ahead of me, I find it helps to plan out my meals (or an approximation of my meals) so that I can have something to look forward to and not go too far off the rails. Did your project get done???

~~~

So minutes after my post yesterday, I got terrible news that a friend from church had a massive seizure and passed away yesterday morning. She was young, married with a 6 year old son. Completely unexpected. I thought it was an awful misunderstanding at first. Still kind of in shock. Her husband runs the AV team and I do powerpoints with him on Sunday mornings. Still can't believe it. Was just with their family on Sunday.

Food was minimal yesterday, but really weird. Got home super late and ate a can of sauerkraut and condensed milk (emotional eating for sure...) weight is back up to 150.8. Ugh. I also think that I'm mid cycle, which doesn't help at all.

Just turned in our proposal (was a bit hairy in the office up until the final hour, but alls well that ends well, I hope...) Oy.

Have a small group tonight, then hoping to do some more work on a personal project that I have. I'm about 10% done and have given myself a soft due date of Sunday. We'll see how that works....

Have a fantastic feather day, everyone!!!
Alexis, I'm so sorry about your friend - what a shock! And that poor family. May God bless and comfort them all, and you.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #83  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
Oneten, I am lactose intolerant too, but I love cheese and ice cream too much to stay away, lol. I find that as long as I have at least some dairy everyday, instead of only occasionally, the symptoms are not so bad, and the rest I just deal with as being worth it! YMMV though. And of course there's always Lactaid!! Miracle worker. Just can't buy it here!

I need some motivation today. Had a loooong sleepless night with the baby, and have a long day ahead of me alone at home. Tired + stress + bored = eating all day on junk food, but I don't want to do that today, so.... I'm giving myself permission to lay in bed with baby and watch hours an hours of Netflix.
I think you and Sara will both benefit from that quality time - sounds like a perfect plan!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #84  

HW ~ Thanks for the kind words. I feel like our whole community is hurting but we're definitely pulling together.

Re: IF - I remember really liking it when I did it, but it was tough to fit into a schedule. Do you have people around you who support your plan?

Re: Health - I feel like so many problems are caused by inflammation...

Oneten ~ *hug* thank you...

Mottainai ~ How was your day yesterday?

~~~
Wake is on Saturday and memorial is on Sunday, so this weekend will be rough.

Meeting a friend for dinner and shopping later tonight, then hoping to have a few hours rest tomorrow morning.

Mom leaves for Thailand on Sunday, too, so Ima be trekking out to the airport. She's gone for two weeks so hoping to get a few chores done around the house.

Had a really great small group with friends last night. We've been together for almost three years and it was really good to spend time with them. We've been through job loss, deaths, job gain, engagements, marriages and pregnancy.

Yesterday's food was again, a bit weird. Wasn't hungry all day, then had some flax chips and three slices of pizza later in the evening. Stayed up late to work on another project, then finished off the night with a glass of wine. Weighed in at 148.8 this morning.

Today's Plan:

B - egg & cheese English muffin/ 2 slices toast

L - veggie wrap

D - Whole Foods salad bar.

Have a fabulous day, feather friends!

Last edited by Alexistrophic; 02-20-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: meant "inflammation" not "inflation"
Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #85  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Talking

Quote:
HW ~ Thanks for the kind words. I feel like our whole community is hurting but we're definitely pulling together.

Re: IF - I remember really liking it when I did it, but it was tough to fit into a schedule. Do you have people around you who support your plan?

Re: Health - I feel like so many problems are caused by inflammation...

Oneten ~ *hug* thank you...

Mottainai ~ How was your day yesterday?

~~~
Wake is on Saturday and memorial is on Sunday, so this weekend will be rough.

Meeting a friend for dinner and shopping later tonight, then hoping to have a few hours rest tomorrow morning.

Mom leaves for Thailand on Sunday, too, so Ima be trekking out to the airport. She's gone for two weeks so hoping to get a few chores done around the house.

Had a really great small group with friends last night. We've been together for almost three years and it was really good to spend time with them. We've been through job loss, deaths, job gain, engagements, marriages and pregnancy.

Yesterday's food was again, a bit weird. Wasn't hungry all day, then had some flax chips and three slices of pizza later in the evening. Stayed up late to work on another project, then finished off the night with a glass of wine. Weighed in at 148.8 this morning.

Today's Plan:

B - egg & cheese English muffin/ 2 slices toast

L - veggie wrap

D - Whole Foods salad bar.

Have a fabulous day, feather friends!
Your plan sounds good. Don't you love the Whole Foods salad bar? On my Down Days, when I'm traveling, i am allowed to fill up one of those big containers with anything that isn't a cooked dish, plus some plain chicken or other protein.

As far as my support system for intermittent fasting (IF): My husband has to carefully watch his sugar. He has found the best way to lower it is, surprise! fasting. So we both spend a lot of time NOT eating (which is totally against our natures, lol), just drinking water and herbal tea. But I continue to lose weight, safely, and he (who is at a healthy, lower BMI) continues to keep his sugar numbers between 100 and 150, without medication.

The rest of my family and friends have gotten used to the system. They just know that some days, I eat much less, and others, I'm paying for pizza (or making a low-carb version) for everyone! Do we have a dancing slice smilie?

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-20-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #86  
life is not a rehearsal

Wanted to share a great quote I heard today:

“An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.”

-Goi Nasu
Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #87  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:

“An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.”

-Goi Nasu
I love that! I guess you could say we can use something that could sink us to "float our boat" instead!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #88  

Quote:

-Goi Nasu
Great quote!

HW ~ You're making me remember the good old days of fasting... I remember it really worked well when I did it, but my biggest challenge was that when it came time to eat, I couldn't stop eating.

~~~
Weekend was super messy food wise. I had a lot of disgusting sugar by myself that was not at all beneficial. It would be easy to say that it was "emotional eating" but I think it was more like "eff it" eating...

Ideally, I would have been braver and addressed the feelings head on. Word to the wise. I ought to do some writing on this... It may sound cliche, but journaling is one of the tools that always makes me feel better no matter what.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Hey guys, no time too chat lately! We had a busy weekend, as it was my husband's turn to work all weekend (crazy!), so that meant no real weekend for me either. My MIL also went on an onsen trip with her friends, so I also had no baby-sitter to relieve me of my duties. This week should be a little calmer though. Yesterday we hung out with new baby/mama friends. And I think I've discovered a great trick- I'm pretty sure my baby's been so fussy just because I'm letting her get overtired. When I make more effort to get her napping throughout the day, she plays so much nicer nad calmer! (:
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #90  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Great quote!

HW ~ You're making me remember the good old days of fasting... I remember it really worked well when I did it, but my biggest challenge was that when it came time to eat, I couldn't stop eating.

~~~
Weekend was super messy food wise. I had a lot of disgusting sugar by myself that was not at all beneficial. It would be easy to say that it was "emotional eating" but I think it was more like "eff it" eating...

Ideally, I would have been braver and addressed the feelings head on. Word to the wise. I ought to do some writing on this... It may sound cliche, but journaling is one of the tools that always makes me feel better no matter what.
Know that feeling. The only thing that stops me is thinking about the after effects. Is there a way to eat something that will allow you to get that pleasure of eating without undermining your plans? An example for me - and not everyone likes this - is a big bunch of oatmeal, maybe with fruit and/or nuts, and something to pour over it of your choice. I know it has a lot of calories, but it's going to be - if you like oatmeal - satisfying and filling, with the added benefit of being good for you. Maybe you have something along those lines that can fill the bill...

I'm one to talk. I bought two candy bars and two pints of ice cream on Friday, my first Up Day of the week. And it's just what you were saying: I was off the "fast" and hungry! Did throw one of the bars and one of the pints away, because I didn't like the tastes. The other ice cream is just sitting there, because it had something in it I'm not crazy over (graham cracker crust).

But the truth of the matter is, I can only eat a certain amount now without getting uncomfortable, and even nauseous, if I'm not careful. All this intermittent fasting is like a natural lapband! And I'm pretty much a big baby for pain/discomfort. So I have to make my meals count, before I'm too full to eat any more.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the good old days of fasting! Where I didn't know how, and would eat as much as I could before the fast began. This "fasting" is different, not in small part because it's not really fasting - it's eating 600 calories, which yesterday, for example, was a nice juicy piece of pork tenderloin and a huge salad, with a double-and-a-half serving of Marie's Super Blue Cheese dressing!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-23-2015 at 04:48 PM.