3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   See ya 130's! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/295387-see-ya-130s.html)

kifli 11-23-2014 03:05 PM

The weight went up today.
Buying a calorie counter book today (I usually record on a napkin and MyFitnessPal). I do better when I can see my calories on the kitchen counter at all times and also track my weekly progress :)
I think my goal will be to eat only what I can count until I get the weight off. I have been eating incredibly healthy and exercising though. The best in my life.
I secretly wish I had my own personal chef who would just hand me the food and say 'eat this' and I would lose weight :)

Oneten - Natural, beautiful, and healthy is inspiring :) Thanks for sharing your menu. I have looked at it, b/c although I'm eating healthy, I'm struggling with my own and getting results.

Have a great week everyone!

atmos 11-24-2014 03:24 PM

Hello all!

I took a bit of a break from 3FatChicks, but I'm feeling compelled to return. Looking through the last few posts it looks like a bit of a different group of people than I was with before, so I'll reintroduce myself.

I'm atmos...username chosen because I'm an atmospheric scientist by trade. I initially lost 20 lbs...160 down to 140, when I started graduate school in fall of 2007. Since then I've been yo yoing through the 130s. My lowest adult weight was about 127 following a long term relationship breakup in 2009 and my highest has been 145 on a couple occasions typically resulting from stress (preparing for a conference, defending my thesis).

Now I'm at about 139 and I haven't been 140 in a few years, so I'd like to keep it that way and get back down towards 130, and perhaps finally break that barrier. Mostly I want to be fit, healthy, and I don't want to buy new larger pants.

My goals are broadly to continue improvements with my Irish dancing, in which I just starting competing this year, cross train with weight lifting and running, and eat a better diet.

So hi to you all and thank you in advance for the support! I really need to finally get this all under control.

atmos 11-25-2014 12:18 PM

Oneten - Thank you for welcoming me back! I shan't lose anywhere near your rate as you are already down to 133, but I hope to be there in a couple months. :) Irish dance is a great calorie burn indeed. You're basically jumping up and down on your toes the entire time. In class we must take frequent breaks both in order to get through the entire two hours as well as taking time to improve technique. When I practice at home it's difficult to go beyond half an hour as it is very strenuous. But I would like to cross train and get a better diet in place to improve my dance as well as have my legs look nicer in the short dresses.

Yesterday I did not exercise and went way over my calories. I have a wonderful lack of discipline when it comes to sticking to my diet and exercise goals. I haven't been able to work it out yet (hence my years of bouncing back and forth through the 130s).

I did track my food though and it's obvious why I've been gaining so much the past few months. Baby steps back down.

Hope everyone is having/has had a wonderful day.

kifli 11-25-2014 07:37 PM

Atmos - Welcome :)

Oneten - Again, thank you for sharing your 'secrets' :) I'm going to incorporate them at some point in the near future, if my weight loss continues to stall.

atmos 11-25-2014 11:30 PM

oneten - Just knowing the way I terms to lose weight I'm not expecting so much. :) If I lose a pound this week I'll be super happy. I do enjoy yogurt in the morning. A favorite breakfast is skyr,which is Icelandic yogurt that is high in protein and fairly low on calories. Unfortunately black coffee upsets my stomach but I only put in a little milk, never cream or sugar. What protein powder do you like? I've been interested in protein shakes, especially on dance class days and because I rarely hour my protein goals but I'm not sure what powder to try.

kifli - Thank you!

I got in 45 min of dance practice today and I'm on track to hit my calorie goal. Feeling quite happy!

AmethystJean 11-26-2014 09:55 PM

Well I've been learning how to eat again and not snack mindlessly or binge. Mostly successful. I wish I had weighed myself before today because it's moon week and I already feel the bloat. I won't get an accurate reading for another week! I guess that's all the more incentive to kick it up for the next week. I'm thinking of a little bit of a liquid feast (rather than fast, if you will), to help get me through this terrible week. I don't want to eat much the first 3 days anyway. Unfortuately I have a fridge full of food, am a recipe tester and cook for others, something like a personal chef, but not.

atmos 11-28-2014 09:10 PM

oneten - Nope, looks like the protein is Australia only. My search continues! I do enjoy tea and I really don't like when anything like milk or sugar is in it. During the work week I typically rotate between Irish breakfast tea (black), jasmine (green), and white tea. Japanese food sounds yum!

Amethyst - Not eating mindlessly or binging is definitely a struggle for me. I would be quite a healthy weight and healthy diet if I could overcome that.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the US, which typically means all the food. I actually did quite well with not going overboard, though. I didn't track yesterday but did put it all in today and I was a bit over my 1500 calorie goal for the day but was well under 1900 (my TDEE), which is great for a food-centric holiday! If I had been home with my relatives I likely would've eaten more, but I was with my boyfriend's family and I was nervous plus most of their food wasn't that tasty.

Today is a bit of a struggle with snacking as I'm feeling lazy about it all, but I'm trying to at least keep under my TDEE so I don't have a calorie surplus.

AmethystJean 11-28-2014 10:10 PM

Kifli, your grad school story could be mine, that is where all the weight came from. Summer last year I was a super fit 114 lbs. I can only dream of getting out of 130 now!

Oneten, I hate fitday. I used to use it but you are so right about it not having the foods you need. I now use caloriecount.com, but I wish I could share it. However you can support (i.e. friend/follow people) I think, so if anyone is on it, I'm the same user name

Atmos, good job on kind of "meeting in the middle" if you like on Thanksgiving ( I know on my thanksgiving I had 1200 calories of dessert alone, thankfully I was hosting and didn't eat really during the day and also passed on half of my dinner in order to eat desserts. It really helped to be hosting in that respect too because I knew I could eat my dinner leftovers whenever, which I never can if I eat at someone else's house and then I feel like I'm missing out if I don't eat something. Now I know I can eat less of something too and still feel satisfied as well).

Down a pound this morning's weigh in because I ate so little yesterday (yay!) Up almost 4 by this evening. The bloating is so bad! Hope it goes back down in the morning, because I've eaten enough for a loss again 1025. I know that is below my BMR, but it's not forever, just to kick start my stuck scale.

AmethystJean 11-28-2014 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL try caloriecount.com it has a great analysis feature which lets you know your macros and whether you are getting all your vitamins. It has a mobile app, and I use both because they have features each that are appealing.

Check out an analysis (attached) not a great nutrition day but whatever lol

OMG I just looked at the emoticons and I'm loving this :broc: lol

atmos 11-29-2014 01:21 PM

oneten - If you're looking to switch, I've tried a variety of online calorie trackers and my favorite by far is MyFitnessPal. It has a very large food database and I believe there are many Australian members so it likely will have foods specific to Australia as well. I have an easy reference table for my calories and macros, and I also like to track my calcium and sodium intakes.

The micronutrient tracking is probably much less acurate than FitDay because foods are member-submitted and many people don't take the time to add in items like potassium that may be in the food but are not obviously labeled. Also because most foods are member-submitted, if you are picking an entry for the first time you need to be cautious that you're picking one that is correct (many have wrong/too few calories), but after you've done that it is easily accessible for the future.

----

I went for a bit of a walk/jog this morning as I try to ease into running as cross training for dance. I live in a very fit, healthy, active city and it's a bit difficult for morale to have so many toned people speeding past me on the trail! The weather is lovely though, 60F/15C right now with a nice breeze and sunny, so it was a nice time to be out. I try not to compare myself to the running buffs by reminding myself that I'm out on the trail with them too, plus I could probably Irish dance rings around them as they can run rings around me. :)

AmethystJean 11-29-2014 01:36 PM

atmos, yes you could dance circles around them, so don't worry about them running circles around you. Just enjoy what is probably a lovely trail and the lovely weather! Way to go! I would like to go and run right now but I'm in the middle of my schoolwork and supposed to be at an event right now with another event starting in 3.5 hours. Ugh I hate school right now. (and I used to love it).

DraconicDreams 11-30-2014 07:35 AM

Been hanging around 138, today dropped to 137.2

atmos 11-30-2014 07:56 PM

Draconic - That's great!

I attempted to make a Thai red curry last night. It turned out okay but not awesome. I will attempt again but plan on either making a few changes to the recipe or searching for a new one. I used light coconut milk and threw in a ton of veggies with it, and overall it was a filling and low calorie meal.

Off to lift weights now and remain a touch disappointed that I have to return to work tomorrow morning after a very nice 4 day weekend.

AmethystJean 11-30-2014 11:23 PM

I ate a ton last night (1500 or more) at my friend's Mexican Fiesta, but I woke up to no change. On top of that, I actually went back to bed, and didn't eat for another 4 hours or so and weighed myself again and was down to 133.4 I didn't expect that after such a big dinner last night and TTOM. Bloating must be going down (the worst of the week is done). That makes me even more excited for my next weigh in though after this week is over.

AmethystJean 12-01-2014 08:40 PM

133.4 today yippee! Ate a ton of lasgna for dinner 900 cals putting me at 1500 cals so I expect to not see a change or even go up tomorrow.

kifli 12-01-2014 11:26 PM

One ten - congrats :) You are just doing awesome!
Amethyst Jean - Yay!!! (I wasn't so lucky, lol)
Atmos - Hope you had a good day back at work. I love yellow curry. Haven't tried red. You got me wondering if I could make a low-calorie version. Yum!

I took the long road trip back home yesterday and ate the same limited foods as my husband and kids. I had a big gain over the week.

I made my first entry into my new calorie journal today, and made a simple meal plan with Healthy choice A or B :) Hopefully, that will help this month. Last month I ate healthy, but over the calorie limit on several occasions. Exercise was great. Now if I can get it all together!

AmethystJean 12-02-2014 02:20 PM

Ate more lasagna when I was putting it away. I have to be honest or I'll never win this losing game. 134 this morning. Eating for no reason ugh

kifli 12-03-2014 02:27 PM

Amethyst Jean - Love your honesty :) Overeating is why I can't get out of the 130's (My honesty for the morning... hehe).

Down to 131 today. The weight I gained from last week is coming off quickly, thankfully! Feeling pretty happy about that. 2 days on plan, and today will make three :)

AmethystJean 12-03-2014 08:07 PM

Down more than 2 lbs today to 131.6. Fasted yesterday and ate too much today 2000 cals. I was feeling weak. Didn't take my vitamins (B and D) and I also think I'm short on iron. My tracker tells me I am every day, although I have never tested positive for anemia. It also tells me I'm low on calcium but I've never heeded that either. Maybe time to start paying attention. I ate a lot of nuts and seeds at lest they have iron - still didn't meet the mark and did gain a lot of calories in the process.

atmos 12-04-2014 01:16 PM

kifli - Well done on the loss! Yellow Thai curry, or yellow Indian curry? Or some other yellow curry? I love curry so I'm curious. :)

Amethyst - I have trouble making my iron recommendations as well, but my bloodwork has always shown normal iron levels. I think spinach is a good source, and red meat if you eat that. I use MyFitnessPal and I know that a lot of entries disregard the iron and potassium contained in foods, so I don't follow it closely. I do recommend you get a good amount of calcium though, everyone loves strong bones!

Up to 140 today. Yikes! Please don't kick me out of the 130s thread, I plan to be back down soon. :) I think I had a big gain in water weight from a sudden increase in activity. I'm trying to add in more cross training to dance, which has involved some heavy lifting sessions and morning jog/walks. I definitely haven't eaten enough calories to gain almost 3 pounds this week.

Trying to remind myself it's just water, it obviously is, but I really never wanted to see that 14x on my scale again. Motivation to keep on track for sure!

atmos 12-04-2014 02:00 PM

Oh dear, does anyone know what happened to oneten? All her posts in this thread disappeared!

kifli 12-04-2014 07:01 PM

Atmos - Re: Oneten - They did disappear! I really enjoyed her posts! How does that happen? If you delete your account? She just congratulated me last night! I was hoping to hear from her again :( I'm going to miss her.

BTW we won't kick you out :) If I ever reach 120's I'll probably stay in here as well.
Re: Curry- I was speaking of Thai Curry. I can eat a very large bowl of it and I crave it. I have to be careful if I do eat it...no will power to stop! However I do love Indian food as well!

Down to 130.5 - This is a new low for me. Very exciting 129 is SO close (and hope it will come to me after all of this struggle to get to it!)

AmethystJean 12-05-2014 12:30 AM

Feeling better today. I ate a bunch of iron in that 2000 calories. Caloriecount still says I ate 15 of 18mg (?)

We'll never kick you out atmos. I like the suggestion to combine the 120s and 130s as well.

I hope oneten is not gone for good!

Today was good. I didn't eat enough to get my vitamins, so I know that is a problem, but I wasn't hungry and I was on the run and I went to the dentist so I didn't want to eat right before or after.

There was a slight up on the scale today but I weighed myself later, after my shake, so I'll look forward to tomorrow. Especially since I worked my butt off at the gym and came in at net -1400 cal today

kifli 12-05-2014 01:50 PM

Amethyst Jean - Good job yesterday :)

130 this morning. Pinching myself. I went down 3.5 pounds in 5 days, which is nothing short of a miracle for me.
Took measurements - It all came off of my thighs! (Rear and hips still the same :/)

AmethystJean 12-05-2014 11:43 PM

For every victory a little setback. Ate many snacks and drank too many of my calories. 1957. At least I burned 744. Anxious to see what the scale makes of that!

Whoohoo kifli! I've lost quite a bit this week too...I've been weighing myself way too often. I forget what my weekly weigh in was lol. I lost 1.4 today and 2 yesterday was up the day before and down the day before that. I think I'm looking at 4+ lbs! I'm working my *** off for it! Whoo let's do this

kifli 12-06-2014 11:44 PM

130 today too. Ate an extra mini taco and didn't exercise. TOM. I NEED to get more sleep tonight...it's throwing my whole routine off! Small gain tomorrow?
Keep at it, Amethyst!

kifli 12-07-2014 05:50 PM

Oh my gosh! Loss of .5 to land FINALLY in the 120's!!!!
I was expecting a .5 gain today!
So excited!
I can't blow it now!
Got to get a little lower to get well into it!
Aiming for 125 by the end of the month :)
Yes!

AmethystJean 12-08-2014 04:22 PM

Way to go kifli
Had a terrible day Saturday 131.4 today but I am probably still bloated from the gluten I had on Sat. Also lack of sleep is not good for weight loss and finally no exercise and only did school work yesterday. So better today, right!
Also have a goal of 125 for the month!
Let's go!

kifli 12-08-2014 11:04 PM

Yes, Let's do it!
129 this morning.
Tomorrow's a new day.
Wishing you sleep and weight loss, Amethyst!

atmos 12-09-2014 12:19 PM

kifli - Well done!

Amethyst - There's always time to say I'm getting back on track right now. Hope your yesterday was better.

I haven't been doing well watching my calorie intake though I have done fairly well with my exercising. I really need to keep better track of my calories. Watching the scale go up while I was starting up lifting again really killed my spirits, even though it shouldn't have! So I'm staying off for a few more days and trying to count my calories better/choose better foods.

kifli 12-09-2014 12:52 PM

129 again today.

Atmos - I was experiencing the same thing. I was working out and getting fit, losing some inches, but not weight. I took a break this week, concentrated on calorie intake, then the weight started dropping like crazy. I'm thinking about starting up some exercise again b/c I don't want to be mushy, but if the weight stalls again, I'll have to rethink. Finding the balance is hard.

AmethystJean 12-09-2014 11:23 PM

The scale went up this morning 133.4 and is 132.4 this evening. That's a good sign because I'm usually up in the evening. So tomorrow bodes well. I'm chalking this morning up to natural fluctuation or the gluten that is still killing my insides. I can't wait to detox I need it gone.
Today I ate 1000-1200 and was very active. So I'm very hopeful for the scale in the morning. Just need to get over the urge to snack. Going to be strict the next two days because Friday is work xmas party and I will be indulging.

atmos 12-10-2014 11:44 AM

kifli - It is definitely hard to balance our desire to lose weight with the benefits of exercise and inch losses! I need to keep in mind that some of the weight gain must be from getting back into a full-blown exercise regime after a big lull. But some of it is definitely not tracking my diet as well. I'm just going to keep up the exercise, try to get back on the straight and narrow regarding diet, and let the scale do what it will. It'll go down eventually.

Amethyst - Gluten allergies are no joke. My boyfriend has one, and truthfully I think I bug him too much to be careful about what he is eating. :) But I've been working hard on learning gluten free cooking/baking for him, so he appreciates where I'm coming from (and the food).

This morning I was 139.8. Officially away from seeing that 1-4 on my scale again, but I really need to be more careful about what I'm eating if I'm ever going to make it to the 120s where I'd ultimately like to be. I just hate seeing my mushy legs in that dance mirror. It's also a slippery slope to maintain my initial weight loss, as I was around 160 after college several years ago.

kifli 12-10-2014 01:27 PM

Down a half pound to 128.5.
Had a great workout last night (first one in the last 10 days). Got REALLY hungry afterward, so ate a banana and a small cookie for a total calorie intake of 1235 yesterday. Exercising and eating go hand-in-hand for me :/ I just feel so much better (stronger and less jiggly) when I exercise. I'm going to work VERY hard to stay at my calorie range AND exercise. I don't mind a slower loss, as long as I'm still losing! I worry about my skin with rapid loss.

Sounds like a good plan, Atmos. I totally hear what you are saying and can so relate! Mushy legs (for me belly) = NO GOOD! Oh, and congrats on getting back into the 130's :)

Amethyst - Good Job, yesterday. I love Christmas parties! Hope you can stay OP until then :)

AmethystJean 12-10-2014 03:04 PM

Atmos, so nice of you to do that for your bf. It really does mean a lot when people consider our food allergies.

So not on track today. Woke up when I was supposed to be at work and didn't eat breakfast and ended up bingeing on cookies at work.

On the bright side new low of 130.0 today.....not for long with that behaviour but I saw it!

kifli 12-11-2014 02:32 PM

Down 1/2 pound to 128. Performed some light exercise last night. Got terrible sleep. I have been drinking coffee (Starbucks Mocha light) and I think it stays in my system for a long time (I could be wrong). My loss has slowed down, but it is still moving so I will be patient :/ (or try). Can't wait to see 125...I think that will make me feel better in general. My body is looking a little better,but not too much... it has a long way to go!

Amethyst - Congrats on your new low (even if it's short-lived)! So nice to see when that happens. Sorry you have to watch your food intake with the allergies. I have a good friend with two daughters with Celiac and they are so careful...yet still manage occasionally to get gluten in foods that are supposed to be 'free' from lack of consideration/care/understanding on others' parts. No fun.

atmos 12-11-2014 02:43 PM

kifli - Well done on your losses! I'm dreaming of the day I see 1-2 on my scale again, especially now that I'm just struggling to see 1-3. I didn't weigh myself this morning, I'm going to pretend for a few more days that I'm in the 130s and try to eat healthfully before I weigh again. I agree that a slower loss but less jiggly is a good way to go.

Amethyst - Congrats on your new low! Something I am aspiring to. Weight loss isn't linear even when you're completely following your program to perfection, so try not to feel too down if the scale goes back up a touch. The overall trend is the most important.

AmethystJean 12-11-2014 09:06 PM

131.8 today. I know I didn't eat enough for it go to up that much in one day so I know it is bloat. Plus I can virtually feel the wheat sitting like a brick in my abdomen. I hope to break 130 this week but I don't know how long it will take to detox from this (and the Christmas party dinner tomorrow is probably bad news as it is an Italian restaurant)

underanalysis 12-12-2014 09:12 AM

Just checking in on you guys. :) looks like everyone is doing pretty well right now.

I feel you on the Christmas party woes, Amethyst. Mine is this Sunday and they sent out the menu a couple days ago. EVERYTHING on the menu for our party is FRIED - chicken tenders, french fries, fried pickles, fried cheese, fried meatballs. Literally not a single fruit or veggie or lean protein in sight.

I emailed the person asking for headcounts and said "Look, I'm coming, but I literally can't eat any of that, so don't include me in the count for food."

skittlesfirehawk 12-12-2014 09:19 AM

139 and thrilled to be here