3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   See ya 130's! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/295387-see-ya-130s.html)

kifli 02-05-2015 11:54 PM

Oneten - I wasn't able to open the link for some reason. I'm sure it's good. I usually just drink water, but sometimes I go for periods of flavored low calorie drinks. I'm just paranoid of the artificial sweeteners, so that's why I don't do it daily. I haven't really read up on the studies. So not sure if it's good or bad.

I'm headed to San Francisco tonight at 3:30am (leaving for the airport). The continuing education course I am attending provides breakfast and lunch both Saturday and Sunday. I'm on my own all day Friday and will do a lot of walking/window shopping. I do plan on eating the chowder and SanFran sourdough bread. I also may hit a couple of Afghani restaurants, as we don't have that food in Oregon and I love the rice. However, I will try to maintain until I get back Monday. Maybe I will hit the gym all three days at the hotel to compensate :)

AmethystJean 02-06-2015 03:51 PM

Ooh I love Afghani rice. It's on my to do list right now.

I wish I could not work and just focus on school. That was my plan for the last year. I actually resigned effective Jan 30, but by now my tuition has maxed out my credit cards and OSAP (gov student loan) only has given me 1911 of my 15000 tuition (not counting living expenses). So I'm kind of screwed. Even working, I'm at a $500 deficit a month. I hope the bank will give me the last 2 trimesters because we have to pay for our practicum ahead of time not monthly. If I worked this hard to double up on courses so I stay on time with my practicum just to get rejected financially I will be devastated.

Wow, sorry for the heavy post. I guess I don't really have enough outlets for the stress.

mottainai 02-06-2015 05:52 PM

131.8 (22.7% BF) this morning, even after a pretty heavy dinner (lasagna and salad and cake)
Had a lot of fun yesterday, took my baby daughter out for a playdate with a new friend! It made me appreciate just how active and strong and, basically, BIG my own baby is; my friend's has trouble breastfeeding and was much smaller and weaker. I'll try not to get annoyed when Sara wants to BF every hour for a while!

AmethystJean, I'm so sorry for your financial stuff interfering with school! That sucks. ): Don't apologize for posting though, this is a great place to vent! I really hope the bank works out!!

Oneten, San Francisco sounds fun! We have family near there. Do be sure to enjoy the food and the fun! Life's too short (:

kifli 02-06-2015 11:18 PM

Amethyst - So sorry you are going through that! It's stressful enough, but to worry about financial aid is even worse. I'm hoping it will work out for you. Just keep plugging away....there is light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel ends up being longer than you planned for. Personally, I had to take out a lot of loan, was a 'starving...so to speak' student, and my path was long due to finances. YOU WILL GET THERE! And yes, you can vent ANY time here! Everyone has stressors in this life. You just happen to have a lot right now :(
BTW, that's awesome you know about Afghani food. Not many people do. I had a friend in Oregon whose mother made the best rice/bread, Qormas in the world (IMO). I still crave it. The friend moved away. We don't have any Afghani restaurants in my state, so if I see one (California), I go out of my way to try it. Unfortunately, it's just not as good as her mom's. I was told she was a great cook, and now I see that is definitely true.

Mottainai - I had one of each...a weak, fragile one, barely made weight and was a very poor nurser, and later, a strong hardy one who was a great nurser. I feel bad for your friend, as I know how stressful that can be when your baby is not nursing well. It was the hardest time for me. And I also feel for you, as I know how tired you can get when the baby wants to nurse every hour, lol :)

I really over did it today in San Francisco. I ate a Farmers breakfast at the airport about 300 cals, followed by a small 50 calorie snack. Then off to Afghani food, which is my favorite, but wasn't as good as it could have been. I spent $30, ate too many calories, and wasted the leftovers b/c it wasn't worth all of the calories. I then ate 2 large and 1 small cupcake at Cakos - They were worth every, single, calorie. Then Chowder in a San Francisco sourdough bread bowl. Probably 2400 calories in all.

Now that I got it out of my system, I will eat more 'normally' tomorrow and the rest of the trip :)
Not sure what I weigh today. I have triplet food babies right now :)
I did walk about 25 blocks in the pouring down rain, looking for the delicious food though :P

HungerWerks 02-07-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5128650)
Back up to 133. Ugh
Not posting or logging is not good for me but when I do 8 hours of homework a day and work and sleep, there is little time left. Need to make time, plan my meals and stop using food as a break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kifli (Post 5128710)
Don't beat yourself up, Amethyst Jean. It's just a very demanding period in your life. I was just overweight during grad school, and there really wasn't much time to do anything else except try to survive! I was one of the few in my class who also worked. You are doing great! Admirable you are even putting in effort. :)

I can't imagine working AND going to school. You two are amazing! :)

HungerWerks 02-07-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kifli (Post 5128711)
Oneten - I wasn't able to open the link for some reason. I'm sure it's good. I usually just drink water, but sometimes I go for periods of flavored low calorie drinks. I'm just paranoid of the artificial sweeteners, so that's why I don't do it daily. I haven't really read up on the studies. So not sure if it's good or bad.

I'm headed to San Francisco tonight at 3:30am (leaving for the airport). The continuing education course I am attending provides breakfast and lunch both Saturday and Sunday. I'm on my own all day Friday and will do a lot of walking/window shopping. I do plan on eating the chowder and SanFran sourdough bread. I also may hit a couple of Afghani restaurants, as we don't have that food in Oregon and I love the rice. However, I will try to maintain until I get back Monday. Maybe I will hit the gym all three days at the hotel to compensate :)

Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to hear about it. And I'm going to look up Aghani rice - thanks for the idea! :D

Edit: Sounds like you're having fun, Kifli! And you're being so mindful of your eating that I'm sure it will all be dealt with easily afterwards.

HungerWerks 02-07-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mottainai (Post 5129009)
131.8 (22.7% BF) this morning, even after a pretty heavy dinner (lasagna and salad and cake)
Had a lot of fun yesterday, took my baby daughter out for a playdate with a new friend! It made me appreciate just how active and strong and, basically, BIG my own baby is; my friend's has trouble breastfeeding and was much smaller and weaker. I'll try not to get annoyed when Sara wants to BF every hour for a while!

AmethystJean, I'm so sorry for your financial stuff interfering with school! That sucks. ): Don't apologize for posting though, this is a great place to vent! I really hope the bank works out!!

Oneten, San Francisco sounds fun! We have family near there. Do be sure to enjoy the food and the fun! Life's too short (:

That does put things into perspective. A family member couldn't breastfeed much at all, after her baby was born two months premature. All are happy and healthy now, though, thank the Lord! Glad Sara is doing so well. :)

mottainai 02-07-2015 04:51 PM

131.2 / 22.1% bf
Sooo close to 120's but deliberately still holding myself back from being extreme. Had a pretty huge lunch/dinner with some relatives that came to visit and enjoyed all the food without minding too much, 15-20 sushi, some fried chicken, salad/veggie dishes, and 3 different desserts, choco nut cookies and strawberries with cream and sesame sugar dumplings. Sounds like a lot, but everyone ate that much, we don't skimp on food when guests are around here!

I hope to be out of the 130's after this week if all goes well though.

HungerWerks 02-08-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mottainai (Post 5129314)
131.2 / 22.1% bf
Sooo close to 120's but deliberately still holding myself back from being extreme. Had a pretty huge lunch/dinner with some relatives that came to visit and enjoyed all the food without minding too much, 15-20 sushi, some fried chicken, salad/veggie dishes, and 3 different desserts, choco nut cookies and strawberries with cream and sesame sugar dumplings. Sounds like a lot, but everyone ate that much, we don't skimp on food when guests are around here!

I hope to be out of the 130's after this week if all goes well though.

Sounds like the calm approach of someone who knows how to lose weight, has lost it before, and has confidence she can lose it again. Very inspiring! And all the food sounds heavenly! :)

Oneten 02-09-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungerWerks (Post 5129258)
I can't imagine working AND going to school. You two are amazing! :)

I'm working full time and doing evening class (Masters) :) Challenging but I love it. My admiration goes out for the women and men doing both plus kids

RedRose86 02-09-2015 05:18 PM

So close to the 133 zone but unfortunately I won't find out for sure till my monthly is over. Btw I just realized that I might be the tallest person in here, lol.

kifli 02-09-2015 05:44 PM

Embarrassed to say I went up 3 after the S.F. trip, but hopefully it will come off quickly! It's so crazy there. The only place I know where you can walk 1 block in any direction and hit practically any cuisine in the world. I had to take advantage :)

129 today.

RedRose86 02-10-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kifli (Post 5130044)
Embarrassed to say I went up 3 after the S.F. trip, but hopefully it will come off quickly! It's so crazy there. The only place I know where you can walk 1 block in any direction and hit practically any cuisine in the world. I had to take advantage :)

129 today.

Don't worry! It's probably just water weight and you'll see it go down in about a week. San Fran does have some ridiculously awesome eats.

AmethystJean 02-10-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneten (Post 5130030)
I'm working full time and doing evening class (Masters) :) Challenging but I love it. My admiration goes out for the women and men doing both plus kids

I agree!

When I took my undergrad it took me 7 years to do my 2 programs (an extra 3 years) and now I'm in this super fast program AND working, what a change.

AmethystJean 02-10-2015 10:08 PM

Guess who just said goodbye 130s? This girl! 129.0 new low!!!!!

:broc:

Kifli I don't know a lot of Afghani food but I had some rice that someone brought to work and it was so good. OMG I want it now lol. It's on my huge list of things to make. My coworker's mother in law is a great Afghani cook so she is going to learn from her and teach me too.

kifli 02-11-2015 01:52 AM

A is for AMETHYST.
A is for AWESOME.

Congrats, Girl!!! Nicely done!

I would pay big bucks to learn my favorite Afghani food cooked the way I ate it in college. The truth is, I have a few Afghani cookbooks, and several recipe downloads, so I can do some decent cooking. However, learning from a master (native Afghani) cook....priceless. My cooking, those recipes, those S.F. restaurants, still do not compare to my friend's mother's cooking. Her mother tried to teach me how to do it, but she only knew the names of the spices in Farsi, lol, and she didn't speak ANY English! So much for that! If you learn something good, PLEASE SHARE! :) Feeling at tad bit envious, hehe.

Lluvia 02-11-2015 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5126633)
Good planning lluvia. How did the party go?

Haha, I tried to put a positive spin on it afterward by saying to myself, "At least I didn't eat as much as I normally would have"... but that night was not a prime example of self-control on my part, even with my attempt at planning for it. Getting back on the wagon after that was tough, but my weight didn't budge one way or the other - I'm back on track this week, though! The scale said 134 this morning, but I'm not calling it officially until weigh-in day (Friday).

Also, CONGRATS on making it to 129!! You must be so, so happy!! :flow1:

AmethystJean 02-11-2015 08:31 AM

Lluvia, Hey, you're back on the wagon and the scale didn't budge. I'd call that in win in that circumstance.

So, so happy. It was a funny thing this morning. I pulled an all-nighter, and I was just antsy to weigh myself, and did at 5 am and gained. NOOOOO! So I kept going and not eating and weighed myself at 7 129.4 and 8am 128.4! I knew if I just fasted through the night my body would do its thing. Now if only I could get an eye transplant lol (you know, those tired eyes? I'm otherwise awake and energized!

HungerWerks 02-11-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5130565)

Kifli I don't know a lot of Afghani food but I had some rice that someone brought to work and it was so good. OMG I want it now lol. It's on my huge list of things to make. My coworker's mother in law is a great Afghani cook so she is going to learn from her and teach me too.

Major congrats, AJ! That is such a great feeling, to move from one category to another. :carrot:

Rice is an amazing comfort food. I had some the other night, for my IF 600-calorie meal of the day. Just brown rice, steamed (from frozen) broccoli, and - and this was fantastic; I'd never had it this way before - steamed (from raw) red pepper, all pulled together by a tablespoon of real butter. So satisfying! :cheer3:

HungerWerks 02-11-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kifli (Post 5130044)

129 today.

You really would have regretted not taking advantage of that opportunity, and the weight can always be lost! Now you have a memory for a lifetime. :)

RedRose86 02-11-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5130565)

Yeah!!! You rock!!:carrot:

HungerWerks 02-11-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lluvia (Post 5130598)
Haha, I tried to put a positive spin on it afterward by saying to myself, "At least I didn't eat as much as I normally would have"... but that night was not a prime example of self-control on my part, even with my attempt at planning for it. Getting back on the wagon after that was tough, but my weight didn't budge one way or the other - I'm back on track this week, though! The scale said 134 this morning, but I'm not calling it officially until weigh-in day (Friday).

Also, CONGRATS on making it to 129!! You must be so, so happy!! :flow1:

After a party, there's a LOT to be said for the scale not moving one way or the other. Your planning probably helped with that! :)

HungerWerks 02-11-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5130650)
Lluvia, Hey, you're back on the wagon and the scale didn't budge. I'd call that in win in that circumstance.

So, so happy. It was a funny thing this morning. I pulled an all-nighter, and I was just antsy to weigh myself, and did at 5 am and gained. NOOOOO! So I kept going and not eating and weighed myself at 7 129.4 and 8am 128.4! I knew if I just fasted through the night my body would do its thing. Now if only I could get an eye transplant lol (you know, those tired eyes? I'm otherwise awake and energized!

That is an excellent technique - tried and true. Way to go! :carrot:

mottainai 02-11-2015 07:17 PM

130.5 this morning. Very close!
And my baby is UP another half pound - 10.5 now (:

kifli 02-11-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRose86 (Post 5130037)
So close to the 133 zone but unfortunately I won't find out for sure till my monthly is over. Btw I just realized that I might be the tallest person in here, lol.

And I may be the shortest here?! Just found out from the doctor's office, that I'm 5'1 and 3/4"! I'm getting shorter and wider with age! :P

AmethystJean 02-12-2015 08:42 AM

We all shrink with age Kifli, unfortunately lol

Keep going everyone, you are doing great!

I had another 2 lb whoosh this morning. I knew that I would lose easier once I got past the 130s that I was stuck in for so long

126.8 whoo hoo! :broc:

kifli 02-12-2015 12:42 PM

Amethyst! I am SO excited for you! 126.8 is SO low! That's what happened to me after I got out of the 130's! So happy for you!

I am 126 today...back down to pre S.F. trip weight.

Lluvia 02-12-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5130650)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungerWerks (Post 5130779)
After a party, there's a LOT to be said for the scale not moving one way or the other. Your planning probably helped with that! :)

Thanks so much for the positive outlook, guys! It's been tough lately, having plateaued for weeks on end - but, I can either moan about not losing weight, or be happy that I managed to keep the 10 lbs I already lost off, and I think the latter will keep me a lot happier!

Also, kifli and Amethyst, I have to say... I was really scared that once I got below 130 (I've been in my 130s for at least 5 years, if not more, though I should be in the 120s) that weight gain would slow down even more and I'd be fighting against my body. To hear that it actually SPED UP for you guys... That's really encouraging! I'm super revved up to leave the 130s now. Maybe losing in the 120s won't be the nightmare I thought it would be...

Scale this morning says 133.5! It's all or nothing with my body, isn't it? 136 for weeks and then dropped 2 lbs yesterday for no clear reason, and an additional half pound today. Lord knows I won't be complaining about that! :sunny:

kifli 02-12-2015 05:54 PM

Yes, Lluvia! Fight for the 120's, they do seem easier than the 130's, if you can throw yourself over that edge! I was in the 130's for over 4 years. But you really have to fight and stay consistent right about where you are now at 133! You will wake up on the other side if you do. When your body decides to let it go, is the time to take advantage :) Don't give up!

HungerWerks 02-12-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mottainai (Post 5130904)
130.5 this morning. Very close!
And my baby is UP another half pound - 10.5 now (:

A double dose of good news, Mottainai - congratulations to both of you! :carrot:

HungerWerks 02-12-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystJean (Post 5131070)
We all shrink with age Kifli, unfortunately lol

Keep going everyone, you are doing great!

I had another 2 lb whoosh this morning. I knew that I would lose easier once I got past the 130s that I was stuck in for so long

126.8 whoo hoo! :broc:

Yay! Your positive attitude is great! :D

HungerWerks 02-12-2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lluvia (Post 5131222)
Thanks so much for the positive outlook, guys! It's been tough lately, having plateaued for weeks on end - but, I can either moan about not losing weight, or be happy that I managed to keep the 10 lbs I already lost off, and I think the latter will keep me a lot happier!

Also, kifli and Amethyst, I have to say... I was really scared that once I got below 130 (I've been in my 130s for at least 5 years, if not more, though I should be in the 120s) that weight gain would slow down even more and I'd be fighting against my body. To hear that it actually SPED UP for you guys... That's really encouraging! I'm super revved up to leave the 130s now. Maybe losing in the 120s won't be the nightmare I thought it would be...

Scale this morning says 133.5! It's all or nothing with my body, isn't it? 136 for weeks and then dropped 2 lbs yesterday for no clear reason, and an additional half pound today. Lord knows I won't be complaining about that! :sunny:

Your hard work is paying off! :yay:

AmethystJean 02-13-2015 09:18 AM

Afraid to weigh in. After I thought I was done for the day i had 900 cals. Ugh. Here goes nothing.
128.8 ugh
Fasting today

RedRose86 02-13-2015 11:13 AM

133.9 today. I'll take it! My abs are starting to pop a lot more which is exciting.

HungerWerks 02-13-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRose86 (Post 5131520)
133.9 today. I'll take it! My abs are starting to pop a lot more which is exciting.

Alright! :) Do you mind if I ask what you're doing to achieve that? My abs aren't particularly "ab-y," lol. I have what might be called a "one-pak." :D

kifli 02-13-2015 12:28 PM

LOL, ditto on the one pack! Hehe! Yes, I'm curious to know how you get more than one ab :) Mine have never 'popped'!

Dynxagain 02-13-2015 03:15 PM

Hi, this is my second post. I am losing and gaining a few pounds I'm at 129 today. I'm 74 years old and can't walk or stand good. I'm between 132 to 129. I am so happy to be in the 120's today. :D

RedRose86 02-13-2015 04:05 PM

Kifli and HungerWerks-

I think it helps that I'm 5'6". 119 would be the absolute lowest I could go before being underweight according to the BMI chart. But to see abs or any muscle tone really, 80% of it is to just get your body fat percentage low enough for them to come out. Usually for women this is at 16-18 percent body fat. The other 20% is doing ab exercises/lifting heavy. My body fat right now is around 19 percent so I'm just about there.

HungerWerks 02-13-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynxagain (Post 5131615)
Hi, this is my second post. I am losing and gaining a few pounds I'm at 129 today. I'm 74 years old and can't walk or stand good. I'm between 132 to 129. I am so happy to be in the 120's today. :D

Welcome, and congratulations! I just wanted to tell you, I loved something you said in your first post - it really does capture the battle we're all fighting:

I refuse to just give up trying to lose this weight. I have tried all kinds of different diets. They all mostly work until they don't anymore.

I guess the trick is figuring out what makes them not work any more, and go from there. At least we all have a lot of experience! :)

HungerWerks 02-13-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRose86 (Post 5131637)
Kifli and HungerWerks-

I think it helps that I'm 5'6". 119 would be the absolute lowest I could go before being underweight according to the BMI chart. But to see abs or any muscle tone really, 80% of it is to just get your body fat percentage low enough for them to come out. Usually for women this is at 16-18 percent body fat. The other 20% is doing ab exercises/lifting heavy. My body fat right now is around 19 percent so I'm just about there.

Hmm. Probably a good thing I'm not trying for that, then, because I don't know if I'm going to make it that low. Mine's probably around 30% right now, and I won't be going below 101, as that is a BMI of 18.5. And my weight now is 113.6, so I can only lose about 12 more pounds.

I'll probably get a clearer picture in the next eight pounds or so. I know not a lot about body fat percentage, so I'm not sure how mine will change with the loss of those lbs. I wouldn't mind ads, lol, but I'm not holding my breath for them. ;)

Are you saying that just by getting rid of the fat covering your abdominal muscles you'll get abs? Or do you have to do exercises to make them look buff? :cool: