January Feathers Chat

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Um, I bought myself a fitbit one and I have completely GEEKED OUT. I've had it about a week, and have realized that my problem is not exercise (would be SO SAD without my yoga/running/hiking) but it is knowing about calories in/calories out. So I'm figuring that out.

Dollfaise: I know where you're coming from. A friend once told me "don't eat your emotions!" Easier said than done, but worth the effort. Let us know if you found the gym

Chronostasis: I agree about exercise and mood/body image. It feels good to make progress and be stronger.

Crazygurl61: Glad you're back, even though I wasn't around when you were here before You got this!

Krampus: Poor kitty I put my cat in a santa hat and he HATED it, but he was adorable.

70 miles! Yeah! Kodachrome is awesome! It's in the middle of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, which might as well be my favorite place on earth. Close to Kodachrome is Grosvenor Arch, which is a giant double arch. GSENM has a lot of dirt roads, and some require 4-wheel-drive. Easy access points (that don't require 4WD) include Lower Calf Creek Falls (6 mile roundtrip hike) and Upper Calf Creek Falls (2.5ish miles roundtrip). Both are spectacular. Lower usually has more people, as it has a campsite. The Burr Trail out of Boulder is amazing too. Anyway, too much info

thesame7lbs: Same here. The public is finally coming around to doing something about our poor air. I use an elliptical at the gym on red air days.

pixelllate: Sorry about your rainstorm. :/

Cookbook is great so far! I wish it had nutritional information for all of the recipes, but whatever, the recipes are made with whole foods and lots of veggies, so as long as I nosh in moderation . . . and your cat is cute.
  • Morning feathers! Booked our flights over the weekend- we're actually going to Singapore and Cambodia now because I was feeling a bit scared by all the protests going on in Bangkok and didn't want to pay for flights then not be able to go Singapore is more expensive than Bangkok so we won't be able to stay in as nice a hotel, but the Cambodia ones we've been looking at look beautiful! so excited

Skutumpah: I'm jealous of your snow! We haven't had any over here this winter, which is good for travelling and getting to work and stuff, but I do think it's really beautiful when you can wrap up warm and not have to be anywhere. Lovely!

Dollfaise: *hugs* hope you're feeling a bit better! How did you get on with the gym?

Chronostasis: Sounds like you've got maintenance figured out! I'm sure those 9lbs will be off in no time

Crazygurl: Hi there! Good luck with your plan, keep us posted

Krampus: Eughh, that sucks about your car but your kitty looks adorable! What a sweetie!

Thesame7lbs: Ooh, I'll have a look at the guest house, thanks! I know what you mean about the treats, it sucks having so much Christmas chocolate in the house still

Pixel: argh! hope it all gets fixed soon! And another adorable kitty! I want to get one so much, but I need to be in a job before we can get one really

Hope that's everyone! Have a great day all
  • Thanks everyone! I couldn't use Google Maps because my phone was being persnickety but I did end up finding it and I've been going regularly. But this had the unintended result of making me feel bad as my weight only continued to climb or hover. I wasn't expecting some huge drop over night but I went 135 to 138 to 139 and then stopped checking... I'm still going though, I go after work because it's harder to go on a day off when all I want is rest. So I take that time to let myself regroup since I only get one day off at a time. I've also asked that my boyfriend hide the bathroom scale from me.

Leaves, that sounds exciting, I've always wanted to travel!

Skutumpah, I almost got a fitbit myself but decided to try the bodybugg instead. Let me know if you see any change, if it works and the bugg doesn't I may try it next!

Crazygurl, I can relate at least to some extent. I left as 131 and came back at 139, I know the pain. But you can totally get the weight back off!

Krampus, first...that cat is adorable. I'm sorry to hear about your car, we've been having car issues ourselves...tickets from forgetting to switch sides each night... 70 miles, wow, I'll one day hope to be able to make such a hike myself. Mind if I ask how you got the last maybe 10/15 pounds off? I'm stuck on a plateau so any advice would be appreciated, I'm not particularly savvy.
  • Hi everyone! I lost 5 lbs this week which makes me happy. I think (hopefully!!!) after this week I will be out of the 160's for good. I am pretty sure I didn't loose more weight because I was in the tail end of an 8 week gym contest and was exercising like crazy the past 3 days- Im talking 4-6 hrs a day. The contest ended yesterday, we will have to see how I did- hopefully will be announced soon. i was bouncing between 1st-2nd place. Today I am going to take it easy and just do one gym class. My body is so tired!

SKU- are you enjoying fitbit one? I have an old fitbit but it doesn't work well anymore, thinking of getting that!

krampus- car troubles=no good! I'm still amazed at how you lost more weight and kept it off since I've been here

Leaves- Fun Fun!

Doll- Sometimes its good to take a break from the scale. So hard for me to do though!

Have a great day all!
  • Just popping in to say "hi". I just reached normal BMI; very excited over it. I sill have about 20 pounds to lose. But I am starting consider myself as a feather weight

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • Quote: Just popping in to say "hi". I just reached normal BMI; very excited over it.
    I'm new here this month too. Looking forward to hearing about your continued progress, good luck!
  • LovesToTravel You basically have the same stats as I do! And I love to travel too
  • OH BOY the thread has come back to life!

I never have any news. I'm just trying to get through winter without any disasters. Eating more, lifting more, watching the scale go up but I *think* I'm doing something right. Every account I read of people who actively try to gain strength reports a period of feeling fluffy, which is somewhat comforting.

I have gotten addicted to this stupid site called Swagbucks where you click annoying spam type ads, complete surveys, sign up for ads in your email and watch video clips to get points which translate to gift cards. I can feel myself getting dumber by the day - I think I'm going to cash out soon. The rate of return is sooooooo slooooooow.

Sum38 Welcome!!! Glad to see you here

LovestoTravel I love to travel too - I think almost everyone does deep down inside.

crazygurl61 You are killing it this month! Way to go! 6 hours a day is nuts. It's a rare day when I can stand being there longer than an hour and 15 minutes, haha

Dollfaise The last 10-15 came off ssssuuuuuuuperrrrr ssslllooooowwwwlllllyyyyyy (over...a year and a half?) and would only budge once I started really going at it exercise-wise with lots of free weights (dumbbells and barbells) and interval cardio. Dietwise I stick to high protein, lots of veggies, and I pretty much only eat after 1 PM.

Leaves OMG so jealous of your trip! Singapore has a lot of stringent scary laws but I would empty out my life savings for a couple hours in the infinity pool at Marina Bay Sands resort!

skutumpah Eeeee I'm so excited about our trip. no such thing as too much info either, BF and I are most intrigued by the idea of state parks and off-road attractions that are "local secrets" with as few people as possible. I've been reading trail journals and the like and since I posted last I have a 55 L backpack, winter sleeping bag and some new hiking clothes! Are you still in love with your Fitbit?

thesame7lbs Hope you are doing ok. Quit hogging all the warmth in the U.S. will you?
  • Hi everyone

I'm a featherweight and proud of it Well, on Sunday last, I was 142 pounds, and I did start a thread to say goodbye to the 130's (when I was 137 lbs just a week before!!)...water weight...anyway...next weigh-in is Monday the 3rd.

My bf and I are doing a diet called the 5:2. Five days a week we eat normally healthy...then 2 intermittent days we fast. Fasting on this diet is 500 calories for women and 600 for men. So we're not starving at all, in fact today was day 2 of fasting for this week, and we both feel fine, actually we feel great. I do miss my wine though boo hoo...but the glass will be waiting for me tomorrow

Since it was a fasting day, my workout was an hour of yoga at home. We both work from home and it was our day off today, so we decided to pass the time watching movies so as not to think about snacking...OMG....3 of the 4 Exorcists later...I'm going to have nightmares, lol...

Tomorrow until next Monday is normal eating for us. I hope this jump-starts my metabolism again and I lose that 5 pounds I regained.
  • Quote: LovesToTravel You basically have the same stats as I do! And I love to travel too
    Awesome! Hope you'll continue to post your progress, Sum38; I'm always interested in seeing how other folks around my size are doing. I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to scrounge up another half inch (you're making me want to have my doctor double check my height at my exam next month!) so you are very lucky.
  • Chardonnay You must be sending that water monster at my way. I magically "gained" 5 pounds overnight. I have absolutely no idea why. I must have sponged everything I put in and my body is hanging onto water. I was not pleased this morning.

So I am putting more water into my body hoping to flush this monster out.
  • Quote: Chardonnay You must be sending that water monster at my way. I magically "gained" 5 pounds overnight. I have absolutely no idea why. I must have sponged everything I put in and my body is hanging onto water. I was not pleased this morning.

So I am putting more water into my body hoping to flush this monster out.
    OMG...I'm so ashamed of my contagious water monster! EEEEK. Isn't it crazy??? I hope you lose it fast, you were on quite a role there...I know it's a little soon, but it couldn't be the additional calories could it?
  • I had a good day so far. I'm very surprised that I'm not ravenously hungry the day after my fasting days, in fact, I almost have more control. Before when I got home from the gym, I would crave pretzels and cashews...today I had leftover trout with steamed veggies and am super satisfied.

Had another good workout, 60 minutes of cardio...I tried a new machine I'd never tried before. Anyone know the AMT machine? "Open Stride Adaptive Motion Trainer"...it almost looks like a mix of an elliptical and a stairmaster. It was very challenging...I only got 20 minutes on level 1 and I was pooped, so I finished speed walking on the treadmill. Followed by an hour of weight training and stretching, I felt good.

Dinner is going to be bbq pork chops with some turnip and carrot puree with red wine!
  • My mystery bloat did not leave, yet.

I am planning on being active; house cleaning, doggie walk and step aerobics and seeing if all the movement gets this stuff moving out of my system. And water, water and more water, of course.

I was bummed out because to day is the last day of the month and I had to log in a much smaller loss than I expected. I was at 10.6 pound loss just two days ago, but I had to log 5.4 pound loss. -- Yeah, 5 pounds is nothing to sneeze at, but I got taste of the good life

I feel like such a whiny baby...lol -- I promise I will be peppy and excited in a no time Just have to get all whinyness out of my system as well.
  • Quote: My mystery bloat did not leave, yet.

I am planning on being active; house cleaning, doggie walk and step aerobics and seeing if all the movement gets this stuff moving out of my system. And water, water and more water, of course.

I was bummed out because to day is the last day of the month and I had to log in a much smaller loss than I expected. I was at 10.6 pound loss just two days ago, but I had to log 5.4 pound loss. -- Yeah, 5 pounds is nothing to sneeze at, but I got taste of the good life

I feel like such a whiny baby...lol -- I promise I will be peppy and excited in a no time Just have to get all whinyness out of my system as well.
    You're not a whiny baby...if you are then I was !! I have no clue what's going on in my body. I just have to hope that the scale will be nice to me on Monday. You know, I was thinking about stuff, I probably had a lot of salt the last few weeks...my bf and I have been eating a lot of food with soy sauce, maybe I was retaining because of that. I'm keeping an eye on my sodium intake now too.

So today has been good so far. I was up early to do my 60 minutes of yoga. I'm having coffee and a yogurt. I'll probably snack on some (salt-free) pretzels. For dinner we're having a really nice fresh pasta dish I found on Martha Stewart's website: Roasted Zucchini and Tomato Pasta I've made it before and it's so tasty. I use less olive oil and I'll use less salt now. We have it with a small piece of garlic bread (made with olive oil instead of butter). A glass of red wine, and we're set for the evening

I hope all the Featherweights have a great day

Btw, is someone in charge of starting the next month's chat thread or is it whomever gets to it first? I'd love to keep this thread active!