Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #1  

Default Getting Started & Discouraged

I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and in 2007 & 2008 I lost about 40 pounds by dieting and exercising and visiting 3FC! I was in college, so I had a lot more time to exercise and my metabolism was a little more forgiving too. I'm 5'4 and I got my weight to 127.

Life has happened, I have a desk job, just got engaged, and moved in with FI. While we were courting I gained weight and I'm back at 155lbs.

I know this is common, I see a lot of people on these boards who wake up one day, like me, and realize they've gained the weight back slowly over time. Now with my upcoming wedding, I'd like to feel healthy and sexy again.

I've noticed my body isn't losing weight as quickly as it used to. I've been working out, using myfitnesspal to track calories (~1,300 cal per day), and I've been eating clean and healthy.

I started last week and I only lost a pound since then. I know a 1-2 pounds per week is normal, but I was hoping since I was starting out I would lose four pounds the first two weeks.

Is it normal with my slower metabolism? I'd love to hear people's input and stories of starting out. I'm feeling discouraged, but I know I need to stay strong and build momentum...it's just difficult! Thanks!
projectnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Hi! Congrats with your engagement and starting out again. That can be the toughest part.

I completely get you with hoping you'll start out with a big loss and you can carry that the rest of the way. However, like you, I was disappointed with my first week- I lost 2 pounds, however I was 60 pounds heavier then you!!! So much for the 3-4 pound first week losses.

My biggest piece of advice is to just stick with it. I've been doing this since November and I've been tracking my weekly losses/gains. I've lost anywhere from 3 pounds to gaining just less than a pound. This means I've totaled just over 30 pounds in my 5+ months. I'm currently on a really slow loss path, I've lost a total of 1 pound over the last 4 weeks, it sucks, but I know eventually I'll see another drop as long as I stick with it.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

I have noticed each year it is harder. Something I did a year or two ago that worked will not do it for me anymore....just have to try twice as hard for the same result. But think how hard it will b if you wait any longer so just stick with it! You can do it!!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #4  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Same thing here. Used to lose 4-5 lbs the first week. Now maybe one lb the first week. But, if you keep at it, you will be successful. I used to go to WW, so I have written weight charts from my multiple (successful) attempts. I noticed if I lost 5 lbs the first week, overall in the end, I still lost an average of two lbs a week. Same is true now, despite the slow start. Good luck to you.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #5  
吃多一点,吃少一点

S/C/G: >29" / 25.5" / <=25"

Height: 5' 3.5"

Only if you're quite heavy could you healthfully expect to lose more than a pound or two a week. 1-2 pounds a week is very, very good progress for someone in the 'featherweight' category. You're doing just fine.
xiaobaicai is offline   Reply With Quote