Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #1  
Lola

S/C/G: 145/123/110

Height: 5"4

Default Hourglass/Curvy featherweights and weights! Help a curvy damsel in distress!

Hi there! I'm a new member here, but I've been reading a lot of posts in this group. I'm hourglass shaped, 123 pounds, wanting to go down to 110-115 pounds-last ten pounds!!! I really want to do some body sculpting. I'm 5"4 with 26% bodyfat, which doesn't leave me with much tone. I actually look heavier than I already am, as I have broad shoulders and hips, with measurements 35-28-39. Can you please suggest some free weights exercises (how heavy, reps, sets) for chest, shoulders, arms and abs?
Also, can you tell me whether lunges, squats and deadlifts will make my already chunky legs and butt bigger? I'm scared to try any lower body exercises as I have thunder thighs, each one 24 inches in diameter and a butt that is really unflattering (cellulite). So please, can you guide me through some weight lifting exercises that will tone and slim down my lower half?
I walk/jog 3 times a week, eat clean 6 days a week, 1100-1200 calories with a cheat day on Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by JellyBeanmarshmellow; 11-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.
JellyBeanmarshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/135/135

Height: 5'6

Well, I can tell you that for me, heavy lifting and lots of lower body excersizes have not made my butt or legs bigger, just more toned. My butt is not small and looks way better with all of the squats holding heavy weights that I do. It lifts and sculpts it. Same with my legs, they are just more toned now. I do Chalean Extreme and I do the P90x set for abs. Plus I take 4 different cardio classes at the gym (bootcamp, spin, and kickboxing) or run for my cardio.
RaisingThemLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Weight training is definitely a good bet for toning and tightening and it helped me lose my first 20 or so pounds (as well as about 16 inches over 4 months) but these last 10 pounds (as well as about 8 inches over a month and a half) I have 30 Day Shred, Insanity, and hot yoga to thank and I imagine the next (and last!) 10 pounds will be thanks to the second half of Insanity and hot yoga.

I guess to answer your question, weight training will not make your butt, thighs, etc. any bigger, unless you have a specific eating and training regime to make that happen. My thighs started at 26 inches and are down to about 22 inches (which is still a bit bigger than I want them) and lunges and squats helped me out the most with those 4 inches. Most of the ladies here will probably recommended "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" as a first step, but I never did and I think I did ok. Anyways, if you head to the weight training section on here there are some guidelines and starting lifts and whatnot you can check out for some ideas on reps, weight, etc.

Last edited by EricAnn; 11-25-2012 at 01:50 AM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #4  
Lola

Thanks guys! I'm looking into buying Insanity now, and doing p90x after that. Both of you have been very helpful in reassuring me that weights are definitely the way to go! I was eating 900 calories before, but after reading all these threads about your metabolism slowing down I've upped it to 1200. However because of that it seems like my weight loss has stalled, or that it's moving very slowly along indeed. Should I be worried, or is this normal?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #5  

Normal. Your body just needs time to adjust.

Also, you can find the Insanity videos online as well as the workout schedule, nutrition outline (which I didn't use), etc.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #6  
Lola

THANKS EricAnn. I'll definitely check out the videos, might just save me a pretty penny! I love your arm definition btw, I wish mine were that sexy!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanmarshmellow View Post
Thanks guys! I'm looking into buying Insanity now, and doing p90x after that. Both of you have been very helpful in reassuring me that weights are definitely the way to go! I was eating 900 calories before, but after reading all these threads about your metabolism slowing down I've upped it to 1200. However because of that it seems like my weight loss has stalled, or that it's moving very slowly along indeed. Should I be worried, or is this normal?
Slow is good! It may not be as satisfying up front, but slower weight loss tends to stick, faster weight loss tends to turn back to gain. Honestly 900 calories for more than a short term temporary plan is pretty unhealthy. You are a healthy weight, so you have to remind yourself that being healthy ultimately is more important than being a couple pounds lighter, if that is what it ends up coming down to. Also remember that when you start upping the muscle fitness vs cardio fitness, you need those calories to keep the muscles well fed and as your muscles get firmer, that density may mean that the weight stays the same or goes slightly up but your SIZE is getting smaller. The number on the scale is a really ineffective way of gauging progress when what you are concerned about ultimately is your shape and body fat ratio.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #8  
Lola

Yay kakers you really summed it up for me! I think I need to remind myself everyday that eating more is good, and that I won't go back to my previous weight again. It's just that I had dropped down to 122, but in a week's time I've bounced up to 125!! Ugh why does this always happen?? My calories intake varies now between 1200-1300, and I walk/jog for 30 min 4 days a week. So why is the scale going up and not down?? I feel as if upping my calories, which worked for 2 weeks, has now increased my weight. I've just come out from years of restrictive eating, we're talking 800-900 calories. But now ive put my foot down and im resorting to do this the healthy way. Im a newbie here so please bear with my frustrated rant! but thank you all for your help and words of wisdom! :*
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

My weight always fluctuates like that, 3 pounds is a normal amount of fluxuation even within one day. Think about it, your body is constantly inputting and outputting (inputting food and water, outputting waste and sweat) so there are always going to be times when you weigh more or less. Hormones also effect it, if you are leading up to your time of the month your weight may go up a few pounds. Then it comes off. Once I lost 3 pounds right away within hours of the start of mine, no exaggeration. I actually had to gain weight to fit into my wedding dress because my fitting was the day before TOM started (which is how my slow creep up started this year :/)

Try finding different ways to measure your progress other than the scale. I like the skinny pants test someone is doing, measuring progress by how far up they can pull up a pair of pants they don't fit in quite yet (though she's getting close!) That or taking measurements to see if you are losing size even while your weight is staying the same or going up.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanmarshmellow View Post
THANKS EricAnn. I'll definitely check out the videos, might just save me a pretty penny! I love your arm definition btw, I wish mine were that sexy!
Haha, thanks, that's a bit old now, but I like to think they still look like that.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Lose body fat

Height: 5' 3"

I'm in a stall right now too. We are similar in weight/height, so I can suggest a few things that I have tried. Some worked...some didn't. Just depends on your body and metabolism.

-Try calorie cycling. Have high (1200) and low (800-900) calorie days. I do a couple low with one high.
-Try carb cycling with that too. Keep your carbs much lower on the 800-900 calorie days.I try to stay around 30 net carbs on those days.
-Add some HIIT workouts. Go to youtube for some ideas. I like the bootcamp style that adds some weights and cardio. These have been the best to "change" my body shape.I
-Add weights...try kettlebell routines. It's great for beginners. But I strongly suggest you take a class or get instruction from a certified kettlebell trainer. The youtube videos really don't show the proper techniques all of the time. You could get hurt without proper technique.
-EAT CLEAN! A calorie is just not a calorie. Take out pasta, bread, sugar, artificial sweetners etc. Stick with real, whole foods. Eat enough protein...this was a big improvement for me. I eat at least 100 g of protein a day. Eat good fats...olive oil, nuts, seeds, avcocado etc.

Hope this helps...it takes persisitence to lose those last lbs. They are the hardest IMHO.

Last edited by Bayzee; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Bayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #12  
Lola

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the advice bayzee! Did you manage to push the scale in the right direction doing calorie cycling? I have been doing cardio HIIT style for the past 4 months now, and although the weight is barely moving along, I've lost an inch from my hips thanks to it! I recently bought heavier dumbbells to up my lifting routine too. And I don't eat too many carbs except brown bread...love that stuff, so hard to wean myself off it my tom is about to come any day too, so hopefully after that I'll see a whoosh. Keep me updated on your progress! xx