Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Default Feather post workout regimen

I was wondering if any feathers used protein supplements or eat meat or something after exercising? I keep feeling if I wore to start using protein stuff that I would get bigger. My body is feeling pretty sore from going to Zumba for 4-6 hours a week along with weight training in the mornings. Tips maybe.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

You're a woman and you're eating at a calorie deficit. There is no way on this green Earth that you are going to bulk up. You also won't put on weight unless you eat more than you burn. Protein shakes naturally must be factored into your overall calorie intake.

Do you have to consume protein shakes? Absolutely not—if you are getting enough protein to aid in muscle recovery. The key is to make sure you get the protein that you need throughout the day.

I consume protein shakes throughout the week, but mostly I rely on solid food because I like to eat my calories. Sometimes I eat after a workout and sometimes I wait until the next morning. You don't absolutely have to eat directly after a workout.

As far as soreness goes, are you giving your muscles time to recover from strength training? If you are lifting every day, you should go to every other day. Your body needs time to recover. It might sound like lifting every day would be better for you than lifting every other day, but it simply isn't. If you don't let your body recover, you are doing your health and goals a disservice.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I always eat after a workout. Protein drinks are not necessary...I just find them incredibly easy. Sometimes I'll throw a protein or nut bar in my workout bag to eat on the way home from the gym.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Thanks. I'm not a calorie counter or anything so I'm not sure exactly how to factor it in but I do think I need to work on my rest periods. I will work on my protein intake as a whole because I don't eat meat every day so I need to make sure I get my protein on those days
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I always find that if I exercise in the morning that I need something to eat afterwards. If I exercise in the evening, I just want more water when I get home.

I usually grab a banana after my morning workouts.

I agree with giving your muscles time to rest You should NOT lift heavy every single day. I switch around my exercises to let certain muscles rest and I usually take one or two days off a week completely from the gym. I do have a job where I'm always on my feet though, so there's never truly a "break" for me.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Greek yogurt, eggs, and cottage cheese are all great protein options. As for deciding whether you should eat after a work out it depends on when you are working out. If you work out in the morning after breakfast you will probably get hungry before lunch so having something right after would be helpful.

Whereas if you workout in the evenings and are going to be eating dinner you could have something small like a handful of nuts or an egg white after your work out and then eat dinner when you get home.

Eating protein or using protein shakes are not enough to make you bulk up. This is a huge misconception and it takes a lot more than Zumba classes and protein supplement for a woman to bulk up so don't even let that thought enter your head. It is this idea that stops many women from pursuing resistance and weight training which are incredibly beneficial for weight loss and overall health.

Protein shakes can be convenient but I personally think that on a calorie restricted or portion controlled diet it is better to eat foods that provide a wide range of micro/macro nutrients rather than supplementing.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote