3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   I know this sounds stupid and petty, but... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/244697-i-know-sounds-stupid-petty-but.html)

banananutmuffin 10-07-2011 03:06 PM

I know this sounds stupid and petty, but...

sometimes it's hard being a featherweight!

I hadn't stepped on the scale in more than a month, because my whole diet/exercise routine has basically been non-existent since the birth of my second child (who is now 11 months old). Yesterday I weighed myself, and I am still the same weight as I was a month ago -- 114 lbs -- which was my pre-pregnancy weight, too. I managed to drop the 20 pounds of baby weight without ever being conscious of my diet and without a shred of exercise. I think I just must have a pretty good metabolism or, more likely considering my luck, a thyroid problem, because a typical evening meal for me is two hot dogs, french fries and a couple of mini candy bars (yeah, I'm a real health nut).

Despite that my "goal" weight is around the 104 mark and I would love to be fit, I obviously have very little to complain about. But here I am... complaining. lol It's just really hard to motivate myself to eat right and exercise when I feel like I "look ok." I know I should motivate myself with factors other than appearance, like being healthier for my kids, having more energy, etc. Generally, though, appearances have always been my main reason for weight loss, so I am finding it really hard to motivate myself toward a healthier lifestyle.

Sorry about the stupid rant... and thanks for letting me ramble!

girl81 10-07-2011 03:16 PM

I'd venture to guess that your feelings of unhappiness have nothing to do with your weight.

bargoo 10-07-2011 04:23 PM

How tall are you ? 104 pounds is a pretty low goal weight. I am just 5' tall and 104 would be too low for me. Are you less than 5' tall ? Have you been 104 pounds previously ?

banananutmuffin 10-07-2011 04:30 PM

I'm 5'0". I spent most of college around 102. In grad school I was about 104. But I had NO muscle. Packed on a little weight after marriage, but Hubby and I did Body for Life back in 2003, and I got down to 107 (had muscle then). 104 is probably a little low (I've kept some of the muscle), but I figured I'd just shoot for that weight, since it's the last time I remember feeling really good about the way I look. If it turns out to be unrealistic, I'd be happy to stop at 107 or so.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs since it's only a few pounds difference, but 3 or 5 pounds does make a difference in how I look.

bargoo 10-07-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banananutmuffin (Post 4062769)
I'm 5'0". I spent most of college around 102. In grad school I was about 104. But I had NO muscle. Packed on a little weight after marriage, but Hubby and I did Body for Life back in 2003, and I got down to 107 (had muscle then). 104 is probably a little low (I've kept some of the muscle), but I figured I'd just shoot for that weight, since it's the last time I remember feeling really good about the way I look. If it turns out to be unrealistic, I'd be happy to stop at 107 or so.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs since it's only a few pounds difference, but 3 or 5 pounds does make a difference in how I look.

I understand I am just 5' also and find 114 is good for me but when I go beyond 120, say, I start to get nervous. You just have to experiment and see how you feel and more importantly how easy is it to maintain.

mamamorgan 10-11-2011 07:59 AM

I feel ya mama, I was doing so well on my diet until about a month ago and now I am scared of stepping on the scale. We ALL want this and for whatever reason, it doesn't matter. When we feel good about ourselves, we go through life with a better perspective and we affect people more in a positive way. The confidence you will get when you hit your goal weight, your children will notice too.

You can get there! I know after I had my son though, I gained, WAY too much. My pre-pregnancy weight was 125 (though, I always tried to be around 120) but at birth, I weighed 185. Two months after birth, I weighed 150. For months, I tried just eating better but it wasn't enough. Now 4 months into clean eating and regularly exercising, I weigh 137.2. You may have to actually put in the work and its hard. I know I just woke up one day and was like, I AM DOING THIS. I went out to the grocery store that evening, bought so much produce, started boiling eggs to take with me in the morning along with a peice of fruit to work and I haven't looked back. Though right now I am struggling, (between college and a recent vacation, I just can't seem to get back in the swing of things), I woke up this morning with that same feeling again and I am going to prove to myself, yet again, that I can do this. Believe in yourself!

crimsons 11-03-2011 09:35 PM

Hi Banana, I understand your desire to be 10 lbs less, and you can certainly get there. But in case you hadn't noticed....you have your hands full!!!! Maybe you could figure out a way to pre-prepare foods in bulk and freeze 'em so they are as handy as a hot dog. Well, think of it as a warm-up to setting a good example about health when your baby is old enough to catch on.

I just listened to some exercise/health podcasts about making, say, six meals at once. Dumping chicken/grain/veg in a crockpot overnight. Or making two turkey meatloaves instead of one.

I'm bird-boned, so I completely understand what the difference is between 104-114. That's almost 10% of your weight, after all. I was 105 or less my entire adult life -- til last year -- so I'm eager to get back there. Only 10 lbs for you though! And congrats on losing the baby weight.

ange82much 11-04-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banananutmuffin (Post 4062707)
It's just really hard to motivate myself to eat right and exercise when I feel like I "look ok."

I know i'd be exactly the same as you and i've often thought about this before - how do people that are naturally skinny motivate themselves to be healthy!

My motivation to lose weight is to look better, and be happy with myself when i look in the mirror.

I love exercising, and i love eating healthily, they both make me feel really good, and they're a habit now. BUT i still don't think that i would have sufficient motivation to do them if i already looked as good as i was going to and i was trying to form that habit.

Good luck with your journey. The truth is that if you do change your eating habits then your palate changes too and you really don't want hot dogs and bland processed food any more, so then it becomes easy to maintain because that's what you prefer anyway. The tricky bit is starting and sticking at it long enough to stick!! Similar story with exercise - once you're going it's addictive and you want to carry on, but it takes quite a long time to acquire the addiction!

So i totally understand that it would be hard, and good luck!! Remember you'd be doing it for your baby's future life too though.