Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Default Marathon is over, back to it

I had to let go of looking at the scale the last 6 weeks of Marathon training. Concentrating on fueling properly with my pcos and all that other stuff...well I got a Lil Marathon Baby out of it...an extra pudge to the already existing pudge that i was trying to toss. Running endurance makes you hungry and coincidentally 'can' make 'some' gain weight. My First Marathon did amazing to lose and hit goal during training, this one at normal body BMI I was just hungry alot and my body changed on me.

Anyways, I'm back!

Ready to toss the last few and I'll be around here more often!

So Hello!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #2  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I did exactly the same thing. Ten days ago I ran my sixth marathon, and like usual I managed to gain a few pounds during the training process. Something about calorie restriction not jiving with hours of running every day. It's hard to stay maximally fueled without going slightly over on calories.

Anyhow, I'm right here with you. 148.5 lbs today. Back to focusing on diet, not constant running.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

I find it interesting that being able to be that physically active requires a little more weight. I wonder if that is your bodies way of telling you what it thinks your ideal weight is, to be in the best athletic shape possible?

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #4  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
I find it interesting that being able to be that physically active requires a little more weight. I wonder if that is your bodies way of telling you what it thinks your ideal weight is, to be in the best athletic shape possible?

~Katy
An interesting thought Katy! My take on it has always been that my body thinks I'm running from predators almost constantly, and wants me to be fueled for a shot at survival.

The real problem is that my knees would really love it if I was about 10 lbs lighter at marathon time. They repeatedly told me so during the last race.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

Ugh yeah knees are trouble. One of the reasons I will never be a runner.

Your body may think you are running from predators, although, if you think about it wouldn't running from predators be more sprints and less distance? Either way, it makes one wonder if our idea of thin and low body fat is really all that healthy. Many of us who feel like we are a bit softer than we would like are probably fit and healthy, in reality. Our culture just has this very skewed and unrealistic idea of what being healthy really is, especially where weight is concerned. There are MANY women out there who are in far better physical shape than I am (as far as strength and endurance and general activity level) and eat much healthier than I am, who are larger than me.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #6  

twinmommaplusone, Congrats on your marathon!!
I have read on runners forums and in magazines that runners do gain about 10 pounds while training. There's seems to be an amount of running that really helps shead the pounds, then I guess at a certain point, not so much.

I run about 3-5 miles like 3-4 times a week, and a long run only every other week or so, and I don't really go that long on a long run. Mostly because of the weather and lack of day light now.
Congrats again!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote