3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   Trying to lose about 10 pounds in a month! 145 lbs, 5'5, hows this diet sound? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/239599-trying-lose-about-10-pounds-month-145-lbs-55-hows-diet-sound.html)

125byOctober 07-31-2011 11:17 AM

Trying to lose about 10 pounds in a month! 145 lbs, 5'5, hows this diet sound?

Nothing but fruits, vegetables & chicken. Lots & lots of chicken! If I eat 5-6 times a day, 3 hours apart, & only eat veggies fruit & chicken will I lose weight? Of course incorporating plenty of cardio & some strength training everyday. I'd love to be a size small again, like I was in the 120s. :( I will work my *** off! I want to go back into school and wow everyone! June was a funk, and July was moving month. So you can probably already tell how crazy hungry I was then. But I want to make August/September count. Helppppp!

luckymommy 07-31-2011 12:11 PM

That depends on how many calories you consume. It's possible, but I still think you need to make sure you're creating a calorie deficit. Some people can do this intuitively, but others (like myself) need to keep track of it by counting.

yoyoma 07-31-2011 12:44 PM

That is a very large amount of weight to lose in a month for someone who weighs 145.

Depending on how much water weight you have in your system, you might be able to lose that much weight for one month (esp if you eat low carb), but some of it will be water and you won't get the same boost the second month. In terms of losing real weight (fat/muscle) you are trying to create an 1150 calorie deficit a day.

I ran the numbers for your height and weight, and even with consistent heavy exercise, your estimated daily caloric requirements are about 2500 calories (with a BMR of about 1500 cals). So, that means you'd need to keep your calories under about 1400 and still have enough energy to keep working out.

Frankly, I wouldn't be willing to try that. It's possible, but very hard to do in a healthy fashion. (BTW, you really should add some healthy fats to your diet, even if it means dropping some fruit).

The good news is that if you are working out, you won't need to lose all that weight to have awesome results. Two months is plenty of time to make some big changes in how your body looks, even if the scale stays the same.

So, don't cheat your workouts or your health by aiming for a goal that's too aggressive. If you must, treat it as a fantasy goal and if you make any progress try to remember to celebrate it as a victory!

125byOctober 07-31-2011 12:53 PM

Thanks! So do you think I would be good consuming about 1200 calories a day + working out?

sumire 07-31-2011 02:52 PM

As you are 16 years old, you should NOT--repeat, NOT--be eating 1200 calories a day. That is too little, especially if you are anything other than extremely sedentary. I would use 1500 as a bare minimum, but you would be much better off starting around 1800-2000; give it 4 weeks, and if you don't lose any weight, then lower the number by 100-200 and see if that does it; and so on. (Keep in mind that to get an accurate calorie count, you will probably have to weigh & measure your foods; most people who don't underestimate their calories quite a lot, especially when it comes to more calorie-dense foods.)

You are 16 years old. Your body is still developing. These are crucial years for your health, especially your bone health. It may matter to you psychologically--we all want weight off NOW NOW NOW--but physically, you are better off losing 20 pounds in 6 months or 12 months or 24 months than you are 2 months. I know it's hard at 16, but I urge you to take a step back and think about the fact that how you treat your body at 16 matters a great deal to your health when you are 60 or 70 or 80.

Develop healthy habits now. Lots of fruit & veg + lean protein: great! Cardio and strength training: great! Crash dieting/trying to lose 10 pounds in a month: not great! Get enough calcium--it's super important at your age--which will probably mean eating some low-fat dairy. (There are other ways to get calcium in your diet, but that would be the easiest.) And do keep in mind that whatever you do to lose weight, you want it to be something you can do FOREVER. Otherwise, the weight will just come back on. So aim for a healthy, sustainable plan.

m3rma1d 07-31-2011 03:17 PM

I think you should see your doctor and perhaps ask them to refer you to a nutritionist.

cantgetenoughchoc 07-31-2011 07:24 PM

In 2 months with healthy eating and exercise you will definitely be able to make a difference.
Be careful - I don't necessarily think you'll die if you have 1200 kcal a day but you could end up losing motivation or going into starvation mode. 1200 kcal a day for me would be okay - I'm 5 foot and 20 years old. Unfortunately I've done my growing. But you will need a bit more. So if you were gonna count calories I wouldn't go lower than 1500 if I were you. But just eat healthy - the exercise will lose the weight and sculpt your body.

Good luck! xx

mimi86 08-01-2011 09:25 AM

Increase your calories just a little bit...my weight loss stalled out because I stayed around 1200 calories but increased my exercise to an hour per day, but once I increased calories I started to lose again. If you lose weight fast it is possible to lose 10 lbs in a month (assuming you'll drop 2 lbs of water weight by drinking more water, then 2 lbs per week).

However since you're at such a low weight already and you don't know how quickly your body loses weight it's more realistic to expect to lose 1 lb per week, so give yourself two months. They FLY BY!

As for your age--I was an 'early bloomer' and I had finished developing by 16 (I was going regularly to my orthopedist to track scoliosis so I'd get x-rays every 6 months that showed the progress of my growth plates) but you should visit your doctor to be sure. Even if you're done developing now is a crucial time for you--the fat stores you create in your adolescent years are what stick with you for the rest of your life (even if they're empty, they're still there and they dictate how fast you could gain fat in the future). If you don't go to your primary physician often, perhaps see your gynecologist. Mine is basically my primary care provider and she has been able to help me a lot even with general health stuff as I transitioned from being a girl to being an adult--she writes scripts for me to go get bloodwork done to check my cholesterol levels and everything.

Dorian5 08-01-2011 09:33 AM

Another vote to definitely increase your calories, especially if you are exercising -- and to make sure you are getting some healthy fat in your diet, like avocado, almonds, olive oil, etc. And, of course, lots of water.

10lbs seems like a bit much for your height/weight in one month, but my first week I lost 7lbs just by hydrating my body, so since it's your first month it might work out for you. Now I'm thrilled to lose half a pound a week. :lol:

Faisalkatana 12-28-2014 07:16 AM

quit lossing

i had a related problem , the deference is that i had a gastric bypass i do reach 145 lbs but it doesnt go any farther , i do workout like 60 min 4-5 days a week , i do count my calories its like 1400 but nothing change im really sick from such body , i do go for the surgery because my workout and the dites doesnt work any more , i used to be 319 lbs and than i do reach 198 lbs after i hit the gym and dite now i did the gastric bypass and did reach 145 lbs but my goal is 125-129 lbs my hight is 5.6 , so any help pleassse

JenFZ09 12-30-2014 10:15 PM

Ten pounds is a lot in a month. Don't do anything drastic by making this your goal.