Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #16  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I get excited when I'm the thinnest person in a room.

I look at good photos of myself over and over and over and over again.

Without fail, whenever I am in a fitting room I suck in my stomach and admire how small my ribcage/waist area looks.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

I love being able to abstain from eating certain fattening foods while others are stuffing their face with garbage around me.
I feel superior when I'm working out in my living room early in the morning or late at night and my step mom and/or step sister walk by with cake or Mc Donalds in their hands. It has to make them feel lazy, not big fans of either of them
I like being the smallest and fittest out of most of my friends.

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 06-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 128lbs/99/99

Height: 5' 2"

1) I feel awesome when I can wear a size medium dress (I blame my hispanic genes for the boobs and butt! lol) while my very cruel sister-in-law is stuck in her Wal-mart wardrobe of stretchy shorts and cheap-looking shirts because she can't fit into anything else. [I normally want people to lose weight, but she is SO mean to me! I'd like to have one-upped her on something.]

2) I check for weight loss on the scale/in the mirror/with my skinny pants too much. Skinny pants are still somewhat tight, but its getting better.

3) I loved being the thinnest girl at my old job by at least 80-100 lbs!

4) I loved eating/cooking healthy food when living with my in laws for my husband and I while they ate overly fatty things with ten tons of butter. And they wondered why they are all at least 70 lbs overweight. lol
Moonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I may get in trouble for saying this, but I do want to echo what fitness4life said earlier.

We are on a board where many people are overweight or obese and struggling for their lives. It's come up before that sometimes it bothers them that Featherweights, many who are at the tail end of their weight loss or who are only working on vanity pounds, are allowed on their board. I can sort of see their point. I feel guilty at times trying to identify or support someone who is trying to lose 100 lbs when I'm only trying to lose 10, when my starting weight may be way below their goal weight.

I don't know if we are helping ourselves or the non-Featherweights on this board when we talk about how smug we feel about being thinner than other people. The kinds of people we talk about feeling superior to because we are pretty small are the kinds of people who come to this board every day because they are self-conscious about what thinner people are thinking when they see them, because they ARE the heaviest in the room, because they are afraid to go to the gym because of people like us who feel smug that we can run faster than others in the gym, and because they can't lose the weight we have lost.

I am not belittling the great weight losses some of you have accomplished. Looking in the mirror all the time is completely understandable- that can happen at all weights and it's wonderful if you feel good about yourself enough to do that. What I'm concerned with are the other types of victories- the ones over other people. But posting on a board how we love being "the thinnest" around people who are struggling with their weight, even if it's a separate corner of the board, may not be the best place to do it.

I imagine I'll get flamed for this, but after reading this board several times over the last few days I'm willing to take it.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #20  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Indiblu, you make some great points. I was reading through these and I thought they were funny when they were geared at certain people in the poster's lives or when people enjoyed their great looking bodies. However, I was slightly offended (and I wish I wasn't, but I want to be honest) when some posts were stating that someone felt good about being the smallest one at work or whatever. I really get that but at the same time, this is precisely what I felt about my skinny co-workers when I was heavy. I was hoping that they felt bad for me and that they were rooting for me to lose weight (I'm always trying) so that I can be just as happy and fit as they are. I absolutely know that these types of posts shouldn't bother me at all because we are all entitled to feel what we feel and the great thing about this board is that you can really let it all hang out, so to speak. But I just wanted to underscore what indiblue so eloquently explained.

Finally, I know some of these posters from previous posts and I know they are wonderful, supportive women so my comments are in no way a reflection of what I think of anyone's character. I think we all have times when we might feel something that isn't 100% angelic.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #21  

indiblue, well said.

Doesn't this thread tell so much about society when it comes to weight? It's like, damned if your'e fat, damned if you're thin.

But the point of the thread was to get off our chests something that bothered us previously. Something specific, like in my instance, a friend that stabbed me in the back who is bothered by my fitness and it secretly amuses me that this bothers her.

In an anonymous forum, to get this off our chests can be good for our self but we do need to keep this thread in check that it doesn't become bashing to the fat, fit or too thin.

Keep it personal, not general.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #22  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I definitely see what you're saying and agree with the message. Judgmental and snarky are ugly, but it's also important to not apologize for existing like so many overweight/confidence-lacking women tend to do. So far every post on here is personal, I haven't seen any posts that imply that someone looks at a fat stranger and feels smug and superior.

I'd also like to remind that the mental transformation that takes place when one goes from "fat" to "not fat anymore" is a huge one, and almost every loser (of weight) I've met has gone through a few phases, ranging from "annoying diet expert" to "feeling like a fake thin person" and "ohsh!tohsh!t I can't stop looking in the mirror." As with any big life change/event, I think it takes time to even out the kinks and become comfortable and accustomed to life as a healthy/slender person.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

I honestly did feel a little embarrassed when I first came across this post and read some of the comments. And I was admittedly a little apprehensive about sharing my own. But I think the title itself and the way the creator prefaced her comment allows one to share how they feel without the fear of offending others. I don't think anyone who commented meant to offend others who have larger weight loss struggles.

I hardly consider myself a " featherweight " anyway regardless of my weight loss goal. I just started participating because I related to the ladies who were contributing. So I don't consider myself superior to ladies who have much more weight to lose than I do.... and only playfully superior to the people my comments were directed at. In reality whether we are trying to lose the last 10 or 100, the battle with health, weight, and self acceptance is one we all share on 3fc.

This was just a place to vent those personal, petty, maybe not so nice thoughts we all have that we usually wouldn't share and make light of them. And we all do have them these just happen to be on the topic of weight loss and appearance.

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 06-02-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #24  

krampus and skinny, I like what you wrote.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I think it's normal that when a person has been mean to you for a prolonged period of time ( I have that person in my life) and when that person is overweight, that when you become fit, you feel a little bit of gloating about being healthy and loooking good, while the mean person is struggling.
I think it's just human nature. However, I'm ashamed of feeling that way.

I've had that one person made me feel inferior about my weight for a long time, so it's only natural that I use my weight now to feel superior... Does anyone know what I'm trying to say?

Last edited by IsabellaOlivia; 06-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #26  

Not related to weight, but I have a petty confession from today. I was running behind and instead of getting my boat in the lake by myself while the kids were at school, I had to trailer it to school and my son would be able to help be launch it and drive it to the dock.

Perfect timing. My ex/friend and also my ex's girlfriend (same biotch)- who had recently purposely flaunted and driven past me in her brand new car for no obvious practical reason - was parked right in front of where I parked.

What's petty about it is, I know she already feels inferior to my fitness. I also know she feels stupid that she can't drive a boat, let alone care for one, trailer it and launch it, but I also know that my ex HATES my boat. It's my "F-U" boat because he witheld money knowning I was trying to buy one, but I was able to buy one twice as nice as his old one in spite of that. So I show up in my perfectly fine truck, towing my kick arse boat, looking good in a fitted shirt, while my sons run up to me excited that they get to participate and launch the boat. And. The. oldest. is. 12. She walked to her car just in time to see it all.

I hope that she knows that my actions are simply my own. I had no intention of one-upping her in any way. Maybe, just maybe, she knows she's sloppy seconds and that's just what she deserves.

I still pray for her. Because I feel bad for saying this stuff. And she needs a prayer. We all do.

Last edited by fitness4life; 06-02-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

I don't understand why this thread is a problem. Have we all not agreed that weight loss has an emotional component as well as a physical one? If there is an entire thread of people on this forum who all find a thread like this therapeutic as part of their weight loss/maintenance, then why do we need to call the PC police for people who might read it and possibly personalize comments not all made toward them?

If you have a problem with this thread, then you have a problem with anyone on this board who has ever complained about being 'fat' or "gross" or upset over their weight when there are others here who are starting at over 100 lbs heavier than them.

I have a long way to go, and I really enjoyed this thread, because realistically, most people in our society have these thoughts and feelings. I find it very helpful to have these thoughts aired out so that we can all deal with them in the open, instead of hunkering down and pretending that we're -all- losing the weight solely for health and other "saintly" reasons.

Last edited by doopdoop; 06-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Amen, doopdoop! You said it perfectly.

For the record, I came to the featherweights board after it was VERY clear that I was not welcome or wanted on ANY of the other boards. You certainly are damned to be thin or fat. I think it is fine that we feel good about ourselves. The reason we are smug and secretive is because we are not SUPPOSED to feel good about ourselves.
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #29  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

There's a difference between feeling good about yourself and feeing superior to all the other people around you when you walk into a room. That kind of thing made me wonder if women who are thinner than I feel superior to me? I used to think it was just me being paranoid, but now, I'm getting the sense that I wasn't paranoid after all. That said, I think everyone has the right to post in any section of this forum and should feel welcomed and if they don't then whoever is making them feel that way is being a hypocrite. We all have a right to an opinion and we all are capable and likely of having less than admirable motives for our weight loss....I absolutely have reasons that are not about health.....I wanna look smokin' hot!

So, post whatever floats your boat but just as much as you have a right to express your honest opinions, I hope you don't mind me commenting on how it made me feel. It's not an effort to make anyone feel that they need to be PC....not at all. Ok, I'll shut up now!

s to all
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

First of all, noticing that you are the thinnest in the room does NOT mean you feel superior. I don't think anyone said that. Being the thinnest does not mean you are the smartest, prettiest, friendliest, most well-endowed, wealthiest..you get the idea.

To me, when I notice I am the thinnest in the room I don't think less of the other ladies in the room at all. It is simply a reference point for me. I grew up being small, and I must admit it is part of my identity. I DO notice when someone is smaller and it makes me feel less special. But NEVER do I look down on someone who is bigger. That is the honest truth!
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote