Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm starting to consider going into maintenance mode instead of hitting my goal weight. I'm stalled for a week now and this morning I read a brief news item that said the "perfect" BMI was 20.85, and I'm at about 20.7 right now. I want to work on building muscle tone and staying fit, but is there any benefit to me going to 113 other than my own vanity? *sigh* I don't want to slide into an unhealthy preoccupation with anything, after all. :/
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #47  

S/C/G: maintaining at 125-130

Had a bad day yesterday, huge candy binge! Getting back on track with lots of water, clean eating, low sugar, and yoga tonight. Think I can make it to this week's goal of 128 by saturday if I stay focused.

And kat, I know the feeling! I always want to lose a few more lbs but it does get to a point where I know I should just focus on staying fit, healthy, toning up, etc., rather than the number on the scale or even burning fat. It definitely can turn into unhealthy obsession if you push it too far... plus since BMI isn't the best measurement of health or appearance, sort of silly to be fixated on that "perfect BMI" (even though I totally do this too! I see that prettier number and want to be there, but in reality, it may not be the better weight for my body).
parafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

Im also following a somewhat low carb/ south beach type eating plan. Do you ladies follow a low carb diet ( for the most part) as well?
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafilm View Post
sort of silly to be fixated on that "perfect BMI" (even though I totally do this too! I see that prettier number and want to be there, but in reality, it may not be the better weight for my body).
True enough. I should try to remember if there was a comfortable weight in my past maybe that felt and looked good for me rather than just looking at these charts that go in generalities. I'll have to start thinking about that.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #50  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Definitely sympathize with the worry about letting it become unhealthy. Even as a very small-framed person, measured by my wrist / hand / foot size, I've made a promise to myself to stay above a BMI of 18.5 as my redline "underweight" weight (I'm just under 5'4", so that's 106 lbs).

I think I could look equally good -- though obviously different -- at 115 and at 107, depending on how I held those 8 lbs, and I know I look better at 119 now than I did at 117 three years ago, when I wasn't exercising at all. Given my ethnicity (we tend to have higher body fat) and small frame, I chose a goal weight in the middle.

At my weight, when fat loss is 100% vanity (though fitness isn't), I know what really matters is permanently banishing any unhealthy attitudes toward food and being happy with any progress I make. I like the size of my body better now than five lbs ago, and I will like it even if I never quite reach my goal. That's hard to remember, but if I say it enough times, I think I'll finally permanently believe it.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #51  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

krampus - way to go on the run! and its cool you are feeling up to recommitting yourself to weight loss. will you follow any specific plan?

lackadaisy - enjoy your hike, sounds amazing.

kat999/lackadaisy - maybe I am the only person, but I feel like BMI is such a silly measurement. It doesnt consider body composition at all. I use body fat as my guideline. I have no boobs and decent muscle tone, so my redline is based on bf% not falling so low I lose my period or have other issues. I like what you said, lackadaisy, about focusing on a healthy attitude and not compromising any aspect of heath for looks. 100% agree.

skinnyelle39 - what is your max daily carb intake? I am playing around with mine currently, just bumped it up from ~50 to ~65 (total, not net). And I am trying to be careful not to eat more than ~20g at any one time. It seems to be the key to not having binges for me…

Exciting news feathers! I am wearing my size2 pants!!!!!! They havent really fit all year. Weighed in at 127.8lbs today and felt daring so I tried them on and woo they fit again

Last edited by xty; 04-07-2011 at 05:00 PM.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 242/128/119

Could you guys tell me if what I'm eating is considered a low carb diet? I feel like that's what I'm following but I'm not convinced. I think the more I lose the more I start to second guess EVERYTHING. Do you guys experience this?

Drink only water about 160 oz. a day. Sometimes a little more.

Breakfast: I mix this all up
1/4 cup low fat ricotta (60 calories)
handful of blueberries (about 20)
between 7-10 raspberries
about 2 tbsp of almonds (in pieces not whole)
about 2 tbsp of unsweetened dried coconut
2 tbsp ground flaxseed

Lunch:
half an avocado: ill either wrap it up with green onions with nori rolls usually eat two sheets with half an avocado.
Slice or two of oven roasted turkey breast (not deli meat)
One hard boiled egg
Half a grapefruit

Snack: about 3-4 times a week only
One pop (used instead of bread. It's 10 calories an 3 carbs)
Tsp or less of fresh roasted honey peanut butter

Dinner: Salad
A cup of cabbage (napa, red and green that i mix with cilantro and green onions)
about 5-10 small cubes of baked tofu marinated with about a tspn of dijon mustard
5 roasted brussel sprouts, baked with 1/2 tspn of olive oil and 1 tbsn peach balsamic vinegar
1/2-1 tbsp(never more) Dressing is super light and barely any oil. It's sesame lime that is made fresh everyday.

Sometimes I like to add 1/2 of a large apple during dinner with my salad. But im not sure if I'm already eating too much fruit. Would you guys say this is low carb?

Last edited by mca10; 04-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
mca10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #53  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

mca10 - I didnt use a nutritional calculator, so I cant say with certainly...but just eye balling that it seems ~50-60g carb a day, which is definitely considered low carb. Wisely it is mostly coming from good sources too (veggies, some fruit, nuts, etc).
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #54  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Weigh the same as yesterday but feel much smaller and I swear my clothes fit better. Awesome!

kat999 If you're worried about sliding into fixation and obsession it might be good to try maintenance for a bit for sanity preservation. It's VERY hard to let go of numbers as indicators of success/failure but you are doing wonderfully and I bet you look amazing.

lackadaisy Sometimes I really, really hate our genetics, though I do enjoy the "no leg hair" and "no possibility of having cankles" parts a lot...

xty No specific plan. Target calories 1200-1600, regular exercise, not putting bans or mental boundaries on what I "can" and "cannot" eat. Congrats on fitting into your size 2s again!!!!!!!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #55  
Corporette diet

xty I can't deal with low-carb. Tried it, couldn't survive it. May try it again if I have a plateau later, but for now, my diet of 70g+ protein a day and 1300-1400 calories is working really well. I just checked, and my carb intake is something like 160g (130g net), including muffins / pie / fruit juice / etc. I try to keep it under 50% of my total calories and don't always succeed.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

126.8 today. That's the good news. Bad news is I was looking back through old posts and realized I only lost 2 lbs in the month of March. Good grief. I know this is within the expected range for feathers but it's still frustrating. I may ramp up my exercise this month to see if I can strive to 124 by the end of the month. Not sure I can cut calories without reducing nutrients.

lackadaisy There is a Chrome extension you can download that works wonders and is free. It's located here: http://www.chromeextensions.org/appe...eansbackspace/

xty Congrats on the pants! I also don't aim for low carb. Whole wheat, bran, oats, and beans are four key sources of protein for me. I also live abroad and bananas and pomegranates, both high in carbs, are sometimes the only fruit I have access to. I don't eat bread, pasta, added sugar, cereal, or refined flour, but it just wouldn't make sense for try to cut the carb sources I *do* eat and risk not getting enough protein each day.

krampus nice job on the weight/clothes victory Also never any shame for any sort of exercise- whether it's a 55 minute run nonstop or a 55 minute run with stops or a 5 minute walk. I've noticed we feathers often justify not being 'perfect' in some way (getting enough protein, eating too many carbs, exercising for 15 instead of 45 minutes) and I wish we didn't have this mentality. One person's 25 minute run could be a cakewalk to them, but it could be a huge victory to someone else. So I'm really happy for your run not because of the distance or the time as it relates to what I perceive is an impressive run but because YOU are happy with it.

Sorry for the mini-rant, it's not really about your post specifically, it's just a mentality I've noticed we (myself included!!) tend to have around here, apologizing or justifying if something about our diet or exercise isn't what someone else's is. I see it more on the Featherweights board than on other threads so I had to comment on it. Habit I myself need to break...

Last edited by indiblue; 04-08-2011 at 01:58 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #57  
Corporette diet

indiblue -- Thank goodness for that extension. I just installed it.

TOM insomnia continues to act up, but I've been surprisingly okay with cravings. I was hungry more often than I'm comfortable with today but stayed within my calories (1291 exactly).

To celebrate my low weigh-in (which I fully expect to have partially regained by tomorrow morning), I tried on some of my old skirts and dresses, and nearly all of them fit again! I'm especially happy about a (vanity) size 2 Anthropologie dress -- that thing was not cheap, and it has not fit since my freshman year of college. The real victory, though, is that my bra band suddenly feels loose... if I can justify new lingerie in a few weeks, I will be a very happy loser.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #58  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Had a bit of a fail with some sweets at work, but all is not lost. Felt the urge to binge for the first time in almost two weeks but beat it down. It's not worth it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
kat999 If you're worried about sliding into fixation and obsession it might be good to try maintenance for a bit for sanity preservation. It's VERY hard to let go of numbers as indicators of success/failure but you are doing wonderfully and I bet you look amazing.
Aw, thanks. I didn't make the decision to go into maintenance mode just yet, but I did up my calorie allowance yesterday and didn't work out last night. Snacked without guilt. And yet now I'm 116 this morning, so methinks I may hit goal unintentionally now. *heh*

I think I'll stay on this plan through the weekend and see what happens. I've got a lot of endurance training to do for my 5K so I'm going to deliberately eat back all my workout calories for the sake of the tough workouts to come.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Default Lifting weight?

Im seriously considering adding lifting more moderate weight into my training to get the pounds off. Right now my strength training mostly consists of body weight exercises and calisthenics. If I work with dbells its between 3-8 lbs. But I am curious about how much weight, if any , you feathers work with other than your own body weight. And has it helped or stalled your weight loss.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote