Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 118/111/105

Height: 5'2"

Default Make-up at the gym?

This does not have to do with weight, but need advice.
I dont go to the gym because I'm self-conscious about my makeup free face (I have a bunch of acne scars).
I do work out at home. My boyfriend thinks I'm ridiculous.
I argue, its an insecurity and that we all have them.
Am I being ridiculous?
HotPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, if it makes you feel better, if I saw your make up free face at the gym I wouldn't care.

I'd be too busy coping with my own workout problems/details. (water? towel? music? speed? Incline? )

Or just.... wear the make up! Seems simple enough to deal with if that is what you need right now to boost your confidence about going to the gym.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-16-2011 at 01:13 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't think you're being ridiculous. We all have things we're self conscious about. Ask yourself why you give the people at the gym so much power over your right to be there....your self worth? Either way, you should take advantage of the gym. If you feel like you must have the make up on , then go for it, but I am quite sure that nobody gives a hoot.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Since I can remember, I have never stepped out the house without a full face if makeup. I'm not talking full on slap, just foundation, powder, blusher, eyeliner, mascara... I'd also wear it to go to the gym then re-apply before I left.
But I developed a beast of an eye infection 2 weeks ago and make up is off the agenda until in goes! Which also means no contact lenses are allowed. So for 2 weeks now I have been walking around with glasses and no make-up. At first I felt completely naked and thought I looked ridiculous. But everyone told me I looked no different and that I actually suited my glasses. And 2 weeks later, I'm beginning to believe them! i'm not fussed now about not wearing any eye makeup, I think my eyes actually look ok without it!
It'll probably just take a bit of getting used to, like everything does. But it's totally up to you if you wear make-up or not! Just do what makes you feel comfortable xx
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I too never pay attention to other people at the gym, unless maybe they are doing an extra hard workout or something else way out of the ordinary. I'm too tired.

That said, you should be comfortable when you're working out, so if that means wearing makeup, why not? I used to go to the gym after work so I would always have a full face of makeup on. Just remember that when you sweat foundation will run off and mascara will smear when you try to rub those sweat drops out of your eyes. I have definitely made those mistakes a few times. Also make sure to wash your face with warm water immediately after working out; your pores will be open from sweating so makeup getting stuck in them can definitely lead to acne.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #6  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I notice if women wear makeup in the gym. And, I'll be honest: I think it's odd. But do I care? No, not at all. Will I laugh at, make fun of, or even remember the person I saw with makeup? No, of course not.

I do care, however, if women (or men) wear perfume to the gym, because it negatively affects my workout. Gag reflexes are like that.

//bstrong

Last edited by kaw; 02-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I wear makeup at the gym (foundation, powder, eyeliner and lipstick). I also used to wear it when I played rugby. I'm just used to presenting myself that way.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I see tons of women at the gym with make-up on. Come to think of it, I never took mine off when I'd go after work, so I was one of them too. I say do whatever you gotta' do to be healthy! Tell your boyfriend that being "ridiculous" is part of your charm. 8)
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I see plenty of makeup at my gym.

Some of it is on the instructors, a few of whom would not dream of teaching a class without putting on mascara first. Which doesn't mean they can't kick everyone's butt in Pilates.

As for the gymgoers themselves, I've seen an elegant, tanned older lady apply a fresh coating of bright scarlet lipstick to her mouth while peering into one of the mirrored walls, just before stepping into her spin class -- an indelible image in my mind that, to me, indicates part of the demographic that my gym serves.

I have to ask, HotPants, how much makeup you generally put on. What's your make-up application habit?

Do you have a couple different faces you wear, that is, a full evening face, a work face, a weekend face and a minimal, five-minute face?

Have you ever tried playing in front of a mirror & figuring out what a minimal, five-minute face would look like? Like trying out how little you can wear & still feel okay in public? You may want to experiment with that. It could be a tremendous time-saver for you.

Because I agree with what everyone says: If that's what it takes to get you out there, into a gym, with new equipment & toys for you to try, and potential workout buddies, then do it.

As for the minimal, five-minute face, mine would be a really light overall coating of mineral powder, just once over; quick kiss of pale pink powder blush; quick single coat of mascara on upper lashes; touch-up on brows (as mine are pale & nearly invisible), and maybe lip-gloss put on while checking my rear-view mirror in the car or while sitting on the train.

It's my "security" face. I put it on when I feel really insecure at seemingly informal public events.

Oh, and I don't put on make-up specifically for the gym, but when I go after a day at the office, on Mondays & Thusdays, I've still got it on. And to my discomfiture, people always tell me how great I look on those days (in contrast to my barefaced days). The girl at the front desk said: "You look really great in make-up." The circuit training class instructor's significant other said: "Honey, you know, you look really good in your work drag." One older gentleman whom I always see in the weight area said: "Dear, you clean up really well."

So anyway, having heard that stuff, I got the message loud & clear, and I totally get where you are coming from, HotPants.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Not usually on this forum but this caught my eye

Since I've started going in the morning before work, I stopped wearing makeup to the gym because there was no sense in reapplying it after my shower. (When I went after work, it would obviously still be on, albeit a little bit rubbed off or whatever, from the day). It's funny because I always feel a little bit self conscious about it when I'm driving over in the car (I aaalways wear eyeliner, have since I was 17 and I just think I look weird without it). But then once I get there I don't really care because I'm sweating my arse off anyway, and I can't even really see people's faces nor do I pay attention, so I feel like others are probably the same (unless they're just sitting around, in which case they have no right to judge me anyway!)

Do what makes you comfortable. If you think it's preventing you from getting your workout done, put some on and try not to worry about it!

Last edited by djs06; 02-16-2011 at 09:17 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #11  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I've always gone to the gym at lunch or after work, so whatever makeup I had onfor work I still had on at the gym. I think its a little odd to purposefully pile on tons of makeup like you are going out clubbing or somthing, but to each there own. I personally always put on a little foundation and mascara if I don't have anything on already. I don't think most people would think a bit of foundation, mascara and lipgloss were weird for the gym. Clinique used to make a foundation specifically for working out., maybe check it out?
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 118/111/105

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for your responses!
If I were to wear makeup to the gym, it would be foundation, but I know that makeup and sweat would make my acne worse so..
I'm gonna suck it up and go to the gym...someday soon
HotPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #13  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

You'll have to see if make-up aggravates your acne or not...for me, it seems like having some foundation / powder on keeps the oil controlled more and I don't break out as much. On top of that, as much as skin can be sensitive to what we put on it, acne is really controlled by our hormones and it's probably going to happen or it's not despite how much you sweat. I find my skin looks a lot better after doing cardio - getting my blood flowing makes it glow.

That said, here is a link to the foundation specificially made for wearing to the gym -> http://www.clinique.com/templates/pr...UCT_ID=PROD573
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #14  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I have bad acne scarring, too. I sometimes wear makeup depending on my mood. Honestly, I don't mind looking a wreck at the gym -- am I here to pick up guys or am I here to work out? And for me it's the latter; I'd rather no one pay attention to me at all, and as a college girl who wears compression garments to work out, I've noticed I'm more likely to be inspected/judged by both men & women if I'm wearing makeup -- whereas with my scars / mad hair, no one would ever assume I wear Underarmour for vanity purposes when I run.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I've worn makeup to the gym.... when I started crushing on a boy there. :-)

But then I noticed, whenever I wore makeup, he wasn't there! I think its a "you-only-get-lucky-when-you're-wearing-granny-panties" curse... as Bridget Jones' teaches us. ;-)

But seriously, If it makes you more comfortable, put on some makeup... I think the only aspect of makeup that stands out at the gym is EYE makeup... so IMO, if you put on some foundation/powder to cover the scars no one will notice.

Last edited by LLBoldAsLove87; 02-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote