Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 192(1st preg)/114/110

Height: 5'4''

Haven't posted here in a long time, but I guess I'm back in the groove so I'm 'allowed' to post. For some reason when I'm off plan I feel too ashamed to even look at this board. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecy.

Right now I'm between 120-121. I'm slowly, slowly making my way out of the 120's. I looked back at my old posts and I've realized that on December 1st I weighed 124.4 and today I saw 120.4. That means in 3 months I've lost 4 pounds. I know I'm a turtle, but I'm pleased with that. If I keep it up that means I can be at my goal by summer. I go though spurts where I'm really "good" and then spurts where I'm less strict. I think it's working out for my metabolism though because I keep losing.

I just got a book from the library that I'm enjoying. It's by Bethany Frankel (from either RHO New York or New Jersey), but it's really got good information. It's called Naturally Thin and I recognize a lot of myself in what she's saying.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #212  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I am almost back in the 120s. Almost! 2 lbs down overnight.

pinkrunner Walking away is amazing. I'm not sure I've ever been able to do that. As for "fatface" as I call it, it's truly the worst. Sometimes it shows in photos really severely too, which is awful. Since I go crazy on vacations, most of my vacation photos lately have involved embarrassing fatface pictures.

lackadaisy 5 weeks of being on plan is a long time! You're doing really well though and I am always impressed by your dedication and healthy choices. Hope the sleeping thing improves soon.

dilynnlew Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed about family issues. Hopefully they are resolved and your appetite returns soon.

FPSJ Yes, let's do this!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Wow krampus you always bounce back so well! Kudos for your 2 lb drop.

ainsleymom I am a turtle too! Good for you for sticking with it, even though it's hard when you don't have fast losses to serve as motivators. I need to try to adopt that mentality.

lackadaisy You are doing SO WELL!! 7 lbs in 5 weeks right? That may seem slow but it seems like you're losing at a very steady and healthy rate. I'd love to be at a little over a pound a week.

dilynnlew sorry to hear about the family stress. Does walking, exercising, yoga, or meditation help? That's why I try to turn to to calm my mind. Good luck *hug*
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #214  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Thank you guys for your support I finally slept eight hours last night -- I woke up at 7:30am against my will -- which means I've gone from feeling crazy-neurotic to just normal tired. Spilled coffee with my elbow. Weighed in two hours earlier than yesterday morning, 121.9. Yuck.

I think I'm going to start running again, no matter what the PT says. I'll wear a brace but I just need to get out there. C25k week 5, here we go.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 03-02-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

I am a turtle, too. I have been on plan since January 24 or so and have lost 7 pounds. I am currently stuck at 119.5, but I embrace the loss and look forward to the next whoosh. Except I get mini-whooshes of maybe a pound or two.

Lackadaisy - you had me lauging with the counting "every blasted raisin" comment! I was eating my perfectly measured almond snack when I was reading it, so it really hit home! I am glad to hear you got some sleep. Take it slow with the running, but you know your own body and its limits and it may help with your sleep.

I did the Zumba toning dvd and I don't care what people say about those maraca-like toning sticks- it worked for me and I enjoyed shaking those sticks! I like being able to do it at home, too. As outgoing as I believe I am, I am just NOT a group fitness person.

It's supposed to be in the upper 40's today, maybe even 50. Spring is in the air and maybe we can all get outside soon. I can't wait to ride my bike with my daughter.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #216  

Oo bike riding! Jealous!

So- question for all of you. I've been trying to watch my carb intake for the first time EVER and of course the day I think I do really well I don't. I guess I keep forgetting that carbs come from sources other than pastas, rice, and bread. I'm vegetarian and bananas, lentils, pomegranates and other carb-heavy foods frequently surface in my diet.

Is it worth trying to watch my carbs, even from these nutrient-rich food? Upping my protein is always a good thing, but beans are a big source of protein for me and I don't know if I could cut down on them for the sake of carbs.

Anyone who has some experience watching carbs have any recommendations?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #217  
Corporette diet

Lisa -- 7 lbs in 5 weeks is better than I'm doing! Dang! I'm envying you a lot right now -- in fact, my competitive spirit is motivating me to really work it on this run. Just waiting for the iPod to sync up...

indiblue -- Carboholic on a 30-40-30 plan here. It's TOUGH. I've turned to "diet foods" (basically, protein bars) for some of my protein. I think I remember that you're a vegetarian, right? If so you will probably have to use a powder.

Beans are a starchy, not a high-protein "vegetable." To be at Zone ratios, you'll have to cut nearly all grains and fruit (leaving maybe one serving a day) and eat at least 80-90g protein, which is the equivalent of 3 large chicken breasts plus three egg whites. I try to get at least one 25g protein-only food (i.e. grilled chicken, tuna, two boca burgers, huge mound of egg whites) with each meal except breakfast. The other 15-20g of protein in my day come from green leafy vegetables, beans (which I do eat, but count as a starch), lentils, and whole grains when they sneak in. I track everything alongside my calories on LoseIt.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 03-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #218  

Thanks lackadaisy, that's helpful. I keep saying I'm vegetarian but I'm actually pescatarian- the only reason being so I can get enough protein, which I didn't do when I didn't eat fish. Seafood is a great source of protein but due to lack of access here I only get around 2-4 servings per week. Still, when I can it sounds like I really should be eating more.

Due to limited access to other foods- protein bars, soy products, other diet foods, fruits/vegetables which are not in season- I think upping my protein anywhere above 60 would be difficult, as you said. Cutting out beans would make it near impossible.... unless I'm just not being creative enough on other sources of protein.

Is cutting carbs something you all suggest I should try to figure out a way to do? Or at least reducing them? Was cutting carbs part of your weight loss goals at this low of a weight?

Last edited by indiblue; 03-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

Indiblue I did cut carbs a lot but I incorporate a lot of chicken and some red meat so I am in a different situation than you. I added in nuts and peanut butter to make sure I get good fats and some protein. I use Naturally More peanut butter. It has less calories and fat than other peanut butters and it has flax seed and added protein. I also eat Greek yogurt, Chobani, and if you get the plain, it's only 100 calories, 7 grams carbs and 18 grams protein. Not sure if I am allowed to mention actual brand names on these boards but I guess they will let me know if I can't! I also look for low carb tortillas to use instead of bread and make a lot of egg white omelettes. Cutting carbs and sugar has definitely been the key for me. I wish that wasn't the case, because I am a carboholic, but sadly, it's true.
Lackadaisy, I meant to ask you if you track "net" carbs like they do on Atkins and such. For example, if something has 20g carb and 4 g fiber, do you count it as 16g carbs (net)? Just curious, as I enjoy the occasional fiber/protein bar and was wondering how to calculate it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #220  
Corporette diet

Just got back from a run -- C25k W5D1. Whew. I'm not too tired but so overheated. The worst thing about "diet" workouts as opposed to athletic workouts (ah, HS varsity days and your constant pizza-fueling, how I miss you) is not being able to eat a big recovery meal afterwards. Half a fruit/nut Larabar will have to do.

indiblue, I guess I try to keep carbs at a level where they are "treats" but still use them to fuel myself, like right now. I'm extremely skeptical of diet bars, especially Atkins. I've tried a bunch and will probably keep trying them in moments of weakness, but they are so high in saturated fats and weird sugar alcohols and so overprocessed and expensive, I can't believe they're sustainable in any sense of the word (health, budget, environment).

I tried and failed at "real" low-carb -- never made it past induction, basically -- and I have too many control issues already to want to risk having completely "on-plan"/"off-plan" foods. Calorie-counting works better for me. It's more that I believe X amt of protein is necessary to prevent the body from metabolizing muscles, and where I get it matters more now that I don't have many calories to do so. Otherwise I would let myself eat just bread and get really sick.

To be honest, as long as you're not vegan, I don't think you should have a problem with at least 65g. No excuses! If you're also occasionally a fish eater, I literally can only eat two single items more than you can: sliced turkey, and skinless grilled chicken breast. Otherwise, it's:

-- Egg whites (17 cal per hard boiled egg white, no yolk) are just about the most "pure" protein source you can use.
-- Boca products. The original vegan burgers are made of wheat: 13g protein, 1g fat, 6g carbs -- of which 4g is awesome fiber and doesn't count = 3 of these cooked into a HUGE crumble dish can be half your protein for the day, for only 210 calories.
-- Tuna (in water, of course) -- comes a close second. I put 4 oz on salad for ~135 cal, 25g protein
-- Firm tofu also contains some carb and fat, but is a good source of soy protein.
-- Cottage cheese (nonfat) with savory toppings.
-- Vegetables (also sources of carbs): Broccoli, spinach, kale, chickpeas
-- Grains (obviously also carbs): Oats, quinoa, barley, brown rice, whole wheat

Lisa, to answer your question, I definitely only count net carbs. I'm always looking for more protein. What fiber/protein bars do you use? I actually started a thread in Food Finds just to hear what protein/fiber foods (as opposed to powders/supplements) people use.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 03-02-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

ahhh such a good time to be asking about carbs.

I did the low carb diet back in april for about 5 weeks. Weight and fat fell off. Waist dropped below 24inches and I was on my way to becoming a toothpick! So yes, it def. works for weight loss. But here is my opinion on it. everyone is different. For someone like me, the diet made me weak, fatigued, no engery, foggy brain etc. It was NOT good for me and I just didnt feel right. To top it off, it is near impossible for me to live the rest of my life on very low carb, so in the end I gained it all back. To make it worse, as you all know, when you lose and then gain it all back, you are gaining back pure fat. So you end up worse than where you were before.

Now on the other hand, I know people who LIVE BY low carb. Think its the best thing that has ever happend to them. A coworker of mine does the paleo diet (low carb), has lost all his weight and has never felt better or had as much energy. His body clearly is diff. than mine. So its really up to you and if you can sustain it.

I do have a question though. I have decided to stay under 100g or at 100g of carbs on the days I plan on eating higher calorie or having alcohol (higher calorie meaning between 1500-2000). Do you think under 100g of carbs (about 85 net carbs) is low enough to help boost weight loss??
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #222  

This is all really, really helpful. Thank you all for your input!

lackadaisy, my concerns with trying to go low-carb have to do with where I'm living and the food I have access to, not really the fact that I don't eat meat. Totally agree that if I were living in the US I would have no trouble at all getting above 80g protein a day on a veg diet! But as I alluded to in my last post, I have limited access to a lot of foods right now (because I live in India). This includes fish/seafood, packaged tuna, soy products (including Boca burgers unfortunately, tempeh, and all that), cheese (including cottage), Greek yogurt, quinoa, etc where I'd usually look for lots of protein. Grocery stores here mainly sell Indian food, with a few products from the West thrown in there at high prices. Fresh veggies are seasonal, meaning right now I can only buy spinach.

That said, I agree, no excuses! I can easily use eggs, whole wheat, and peanut butter as great sources of protein. I'm concerned about trying a diet that isn't feasible right now given these constraints... but perhaps with a little creativity it's doable.

Last edited by indiblue; 03-02-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 192(1st preg)/114/110

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
I do have a question though. I have decided to stay under 100g or at 100g of carbs on the days I plan on eating higher calorie or having alcohol (higher calorie meaning between 1500-2000). Do you think under 100g of carbs (about 85 net carbs) is low enough to help boost weight loss??
I consider 85 net carbs low so I think you'll defnitely see results. I know on another weight loss board people had results with carb cycling where some days were lower carb than others. Although I must warn you if you drink a lot of alcohol on days where you eat less carbs you may end up more drunk than you want to be! At least I know that ends up happening to me .

Saw 120.2 today, which is a new "low". Maybe next week I'll see 119! That will be really exciting. I've noticed how I'm really satisfied with less these days. I went out to eat with my sister and we split a burger and a salad and we still had leftovers.

I'm happy with my body right now except for my 'saddlebags'. Need to figure out some good moves to help that area. Also, trying to pick a goal number. I'm thinking 117, but then I want to lose a big more (to 115) so I have a buffer. Is 120 too close to 117 for a "red line" number? Basically I don't want to go above 120 and below 115.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #224  
Corporette diet

I'm much better at low-fat than low-carb, to be honest; on my "bad days" i go as high as 130 net carbs (about 50% of my calories). It's important to me to eat what I like, which makes me a cycler by nature -- and all my "off-plan-but-ok" snacks tend to be high in carbs, which offsets my super-high-protein-low-carb "meals."

Today should be about 80 carbs... very exciting.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #225  
Getting serious

S/C/G: 129/126/119

Height: 5'4.5"

Ah, Lackadaisy, did you ever say it. Back in HS days, a recovery for a 10 mile run would have been nearly an entire pizza, and I was still stick thin. Now recovery for the same run, or one several miles longer, is maybe some light gatorade and a Balance bar. Last week my long run day was 14 miles and I recovered with just that...and it's not the same. How I miss those days of consuming an entire pizza and not even having to worry about calories or fat...
I have to say I've never been a low carb person, I love them too much. I don't really know what to think on the issue, because some people have great success limiting them and others don't. I'm sure it's a body-type thing and what works best, but I know if I had to limit them I'd be miserable. I also use the excuse "Well, I run a lot each week, so I need tons of carbs to keep myself fueled" (because you know how important laffy taffy is to running, right? Oh, the ways I trick myself...).
I'm so impressed with everyone's success, it really inspires me. As a matter of fact, I think every time I'm about to go on a candy craze I will come on here and see what everyone else has done for the day, and maybe it will keep me from consuming my body weight in Skittles. Thanks for all the motivation guys

Last edited by pinkrunner115; 03-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Closed Thread