Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #106  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ainsleymom, they're Hudsons. And I love them. Finally took the tags off. So that's it -- I'm committed. 122 for life.

I had a crazy day yesterday. The short version: ran 8 miles, had out-of-town friends over for breakfast, met an out-of-town friend for lunch, got caught in an unbelievable thunderstorm on the way home -- I was so sure I was going to die, couldn't see a thing with the wipers on high, branches falling left and right (one right in front of me), phone squawking tornado warnings. I was terrified to pull into our neighborhood -- we have tons of old trees that form canopies over the road and they are always dropping limbs. Hands shaking -- heck, my foot was shaking on the accelerator -- I pulled into the garage and burst into hysterics. I was emotionally exhausted. Later, decided I didn't feel like cooking, packed the kids in the car to go out to dinner only to find that most of our town is out of electricity. No traffic lights working. Drove all over looking for an open restaurant. Finally found one and it was packed -- because everyone without electricity went out to eat. The wait would have been forever. So we drove home and cooked.

Now, today, they say it will take days to restore power to everyone. Hundreds of traffic lights are out, so we really should stay off the road. The girls' day camp is cancelled (DD#2 is sick anyways). Mandatory water restrictions (pumping station without power). The very, very good news is that we have power! I really feel for people who don't.

Up a bit today -- just to 122.8, but wondering if my maintenance cals are too high, or if it's due to TOM arriving yesterday, my salty salad at lunch, the plethora of diet cokes I had to wash said salad down... it's a "focus on protein" day today!

Happy Monday everyone!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #107  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

How are all of the lovely Feathers doing this morning?

I have had an INSANE past week and it's not looking any less insane this week. Work has been very, very hectic. I work full-time as a co-op student in an engineering research company in AL every other semester when I'm not in school full time. There are some days when there is very little work do be done, and other times, it all piles on at once. The latter was my whole week last week. Aaah! And it's still pretty busy right now.

On top of that, my roommate and I have to be packed and ready to move apartments by Sunday... we're just moving up a couple of flights of stairs into a top floor unit, but packing ALWAYS sucks. Plus, I'm just super disorganized anyway! But now is a good time to be sorting though all my fat clothes(!!) and getting them ready to donate, so I don't have to move them. I'm doing that tonight, and I'm kind of excited about trying on my pants from my high weight. I might just take a picture! Haha.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

Ya it's been a crazy month for me but next month will be crazier for sure. My hubby has been out of work for the last 9 months. Almost all of the savings are gone so we may have to find a new place to live soon. I an so worried that this stress will cause me/to relapse and be heavier than where I started.

I have got to stay optomistic and do my best to stay healthy and exercise. Life will only be worse if I don't.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #109  

Ya it's been a crazy month for me but next month will be crazier for sure. My hubby has been out of work for the last 9 months. Almost all of the savings are gone so we may have to find a new place to live soon. I an so worried that this stress will cause me/to relapse and be heavier than where I started.

I have got to stay optomistic and do my best to stay healthy and exercise. Life will only be worse if I don't.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #110  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

SweetyKins, take good care of yourself! Financial worries are stressful, and we need our best selves to meet the challenges. Am sending you lots of good thoughts and will keep you in my prayers.

I spend less money on food now that I'm sticking to my food plan. It's wonderful to be thrifty with money and become slimmer simultaneously.

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-26-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: corrected error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #111  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Kellost, EmmaD, Danni, I will call you the Fightin' Feathers! Maybe later I will make up a cheer. I was a cheerleader a loonnnnng time ago...
GOOOOOO US! (all of us)

WOW, a lot of people here have some crazy busy lives. Moving, vacations, too much work/too little work, crazy *** thunderstorms! Congratulations on surviving it all!!

SweetyKins, I've been there - unemployed husband, unemployed me, blasting through the savings. It is quite an art to be able to eat well on a budget but it is true that a lot of the healthier stuff is cheaper. Of course some is more expensive as well, the challenge is to strike that balance and not succumb to the cheap *un*healthy stuff. I find making a lot of our own "processed" foods - bread, yogurt, refried beans, tortillas, fruit preserves, etc - saves a LOT of money and is really fun too. Also there are some great web sites out there - I found Hillbilly Housewife when I looked up refried bean recipes. I think there is a cooking on a shoestring thread somewhere on 3fc.

Currently I have no excuse for not doing well. Only myself to blame. I am feeling very disorganized and have to get back into a regular routine, including setting time for planning the next day. That's my goal this week to get back into some solid planning.

That being said, I went to my *planned* yoga class today, which I didn't have time to walk to and it was cancelled. So then I ate an *unplanned* burrito (which was pretty healthy - ww tortilla, no rice, whole pinto beans) but still a lot of calories, for sure. Every day is a new challenge.

I saw that a copy of "The Beck Solution" is waiting for me at the library. I am excited to read it, based on comments here at 3fc.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #112  

Thank you for the replys, thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #113  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

How is everyone doing today? I'm right at 126.4 this morning, which is kind of blah, but I guess I can't expect miracles. I got in a great workout last night, so I'm pretty proud of myself. The boyfriend has started working out with me, which is nice, because he has been talking about needing to lose weight, plus, it's kind of a friendly competition.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama girl View Post
How is everyone doing today? I'm right at 126.4 this morning, which is kind of blah, but I guess I can't expect miracles. I got in a great workout last night, so I'm pretty proud of myself. The boyfriend has started working out with me, which is nice, because he has been talking about needing to lose weight, plus, it's kind of a friendly competition.
Haha I love that Bamagirl. A "friendly competition". Oh how I wish I had a boyfriend to kick his butt in a workout
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Hi Feathers! Things are going better for me this week. I'm on track, but I'm ignoring my weight gain. I usually do Tuesday weigh-INS but I'm afraid I'll be discouraged. So I'm trying to just not worry about the scale for now. I happen to know it's above 135, but I'm hoping that will change ASAP!

I ran this morning, and I'm pretty weak compared to where I was in June. I was previously running 3 times per week, but in July I ran only 3 times the whole month! Not good! So I'm getting myself back on a running schedule. To motivate myself, I'm going to sign up for another race, and this one will be a 6K. My first race was a 5K, which I ran in May. I'm hoping that signing up will be just the incentive I need.

I am back in the kitchen cooking healthy meals, which helps tremendously! When I cook, it's so much easier to stay on track. So I'm looking over my recipes and making meal plans through the weekend.

I have had weight issues for so long! I am really proud of all the progress I have made, but sad that I slipped this far by overeating. I really must turn it around now before it gets way too out of control. So I'm fighting to do that now. My husband and I are going to Vegas in October, and I keep telling myself that I need to be back at goal for that trip (hopefully even before then).

Thanks for listening, Feathers! And thanks for the support!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #116  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Half way there...

Ha! I changed my goal to 129 so I am now officially half way there. Whew, wish the rest of the process was that easy.

I've been pretty on plan with eating - but not at ALL with exercise. It's always something!! I got off my routine when I went on vacation and then I had work (a lame excuse) and then my yoga class yesterday was canceled... Oh well. I'm going to make myself take a break and go for a walk later this evening, so that's a start.

I got the Beck Diet for Life book last night. I've just started reading it but what I have gotten so far is that there are several habits you should work on before you even actively try to lose weight. That's an interesting concept. The skills are:
Motivate yourself daily
Weigh yourself daily (I sure don't do that)
Eat slowly while sitting down
Give yourself credit
Get moving (yeah!)
Overcome hunger, cravings and emotional eating
Plan and monitor your eating
Follow your plan, no matter what (ummm, OK...)
Get back on track right away

It also includes the most complicated calorie-estimator I have seen, which boils down to:
(your weight in pounds x 4.95) + (your height in inches x 16.78) - (your age in years x 7.31) + 187

Mine ends up being 1736.58. Interesting. I usually eat in the 1400-calorie range.

That's all I know for now. Carry on, Fightin' Feathers!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #117  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Sweetykins, . I am thinking of you and your family and hoping for good things in the future.

Bamagirl, hope your crazy week is going well. It's nice to work out with someone, isn't it? My husband suggested we try to exercise together, but it's hard with the kids. We did get to run together one day when we had a sitter and I kicked his butt. I probably already posted about that, didn't I? Well, I still gloat about it.

Kellost, EmmaD, it sounds like you are both getting back on track! nice work

EmmaD, I am reading the Beck Diet Solution (which isn't a diet per se, but a book about making a successful lifestyle change to lose weight, no matter what eating plan you choose). I am finding it helpful. The first step was to make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight and then you read it at least twice a day. I like my list. There's some deep stuff and some shallow stuff on there and I think it's all important!

I had a good workout today and did well with food, too. On the way home from the supermarket I realized I'd bought arugula, goat cheese, strawberries and a rotisserie chicken -- all the ingredients for a rockin' salad (with a little balsamic vinaigrette). Even sprinkled on a few walnuts. It was so very good. I have realized that a key for me is taking the time to make food I really like. Lately I've been roasting veggies for my lunch wraps instead of just settling for a plain ol' sandwich, or taking the time to make my own salad dressing, that sort of thing. It's a luxury of being a SAHM, I guess, that I am at home to make my lunch and often I can carve out enough time to make a good one. I don't usually put "luxury" and "SAHM" in the same sentence so I will remind myself to appreciate that!

And my .8 bump is gone today, so I'm hoping my maintenance calories are about right. 122 on the dot!

Hope all you Feathers are doing well!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Sweetykins, . I am thinking of you and your family and hoping for good things in the future.

Bamagirl, hope your crazy week is going well. It's nice to work out with someone, isn't it? My husband suggested we try to exercise together, but it's hard with the kids. We did get to run together one day when we had a sitter and I kicked his butt. I probably already posted about that, didn't I? Well, I still gloat about it.

Kellost, EmmaD, it sounds like you are both getting back on track! nice work

EmmaD, I am reading the Beck Diet Solution (which isn't a diet per se, but a book about making a successful lifestyle change to lose weight, no matter what eating plan you choose). I am finding it helpful. The first step was to make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight and then you read it at least twice a day. I like my list. There's some deep stuff and some shallow stuff on there and I think it's all important!

I had a good workout today and did well with food, too. On the way home from the supermarket I realized I'd bought arugula, goat cheese, strawberries and a rotisserie chicken -- all the ingredients for a rockin' salad (with a little balsamic vinaigrette). Even sprinkled on a few walnuts. It was so very good. I have realized that a key for me is taking the time to make food I really like. Lately I've been roasting veggies for my lunch wraps instead of just settling for a plain ol' sandwich, or taking the time to make my own salad dressing, that sort of thing. It's a luxury of being a SAHM, I guess, that I am at home to make my lunch and often I can carve out enough time to make a good one. I don't usually put "luxury" and "SAHM" in the same sentence so I will remind myself to appreciate that!

And my .8 bump is gone today, so I'm hoping my maintenance calories are about right. 122 on the dot!

Hope all you Feathers are doing well!
CONGRATS on figuring out your maintenance calories! How many calories have you found you can eat and maintain?
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Ok, so I got brave and jumped on the scale this morning after my overindulgent vacation. I am at 133. Not as bad as I thought, actually. I will be fighting to get back to the 120s ASAP! When I crossed into the 120s before, I swore I would never get above 130 again. Never say never, I guess. I need to change my ticker, too, just to be honest with myself. Maybe I will do that now.

Deep breath....it's going to be okay. In years past, a setback like this would have sent me into a tailspin and I would gain all my weight back and then some. I'm determined to break this cycle! I can do it, and it is really going to be okay.

Same7: Your lunches sound great! I love cooking, too! And my husband also began running recently, though we have never ran together. He says he is scared I'm going to kick his butt (and I probably will). I think we are both signing up for the 6K race in August, so we will see what happens then! lol
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

We're going on vacation in a few weeks - I'm afraid it's going to kill the momentum I have going right now. But you have to live life you know? We're going to hike a lot, but I know there will be much wine/beer consumed and a few treats too. I know the key is getting back into the groove when we return, but that's easier said than done.

The scale went down again this morning, and this is the lightest I've been in over 4 years save for a small bout I had with rotovirus a few years ago. I was so dehydrated I had to go to the ER, but I made my husband wait to take me until I could weigh myself. I was practically dying, but I took the time to strip to weigh myself. That's kind of disgusting isn't it? I really need to get a handle on these issues before my daughter grows up and learns them from me. Anyway the scale read 131.5, and I'm almost there again - this time it won't be so fleeting!

I've realized how much I enjoy healthy eating and cooking. Going out to eat just doesn't sound appealing because it's so salty and processed. I'd much rather eat in and have yummy real food. This is a break through I think. I do think being a SAHM has helped immensely though. If I were working right now I know we'd have to eat out a lot more or rely on frozen convenience type foods. Plus when I was working I was more stressed, which was a trigger for me and there were always cakes and treats around the workplace.

I've been getting some recipes from 'Paleo' blogs, and they're quite tasty and filling. One we're trying this week is stuffed portabella mushrooms - yummy! I can't wait to make it.
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote