Featherweights Plan and Chat in February - Page 3 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #31  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Struggling a bit with food this week. It should be a LOT better next week when my new appliances are installed instead of just sitting in my kitchen non-functional.

Last edited by Ms Perception; 02-04-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

100percent: I hate guys' metabolisms! When my sweetie put on ten pounds two years ago, all he had to do was switch to diet Pepsi and decrease the number of Totino's Pizza Rolls he had for breakfast and the weight just went *poof*! He doesn't have to exercise or anything, though I do force-feed him vegetables every other day.

I feel a little bad for skipping my workout this morning. I had to choose between exercising and going to the grocery store before work, and since it's supposed to snow tonight I chose the latter. This means I'll have to get on the treadmill after dinner tonight. I hate exercising after work
Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #33  
Grandma on the Go!

S/C/G: 143/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Smile A nice surprise.

I loss another .5 lb. (now 132). I was not expecting that after the munchies yesterday. However, everytime I did go to the kitchen I just kept eating my planned meals and snacks. I had finished 3 meals plus snacks by 4:00 pm. But the funny thing is that I didn't eat anymore except a handful of nuts. I think that when the scale is getting ready to move down, my body fights back by telling me I need to eat - good thing I like celery and carrot sticks. I was so happy that I did a mile on the treadmill before breakfast and I feel back in control today.

Shasha 12, Thanks for the encouragement. Keep it ready - I'm sure there is a plateau near-by with my name on it.

Ilene, you sound like your on down hill skis with all that whooshing!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 57"

hi ladies i have not been super on plan this week! well, i have been with cals, but not so much with the exercise I'm supposed to be focusing on! ugh.

today is strength training, and i WILL get in my cardio as well. i want an official whoosh tomorrow at WI, so I can change my ticker!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Hey ladies!

I ate too much last weekend (we had a friend in town visiting) but managed to get back down to my pre-weekend weight this morning. So I'm at 128... "only" 13 pounds from my goal. *sigh*

I actually feel guilty posting on 3FC right now because I just overate. My laboratory is hosting the seminar speaker for the department's weekly seminar... which means we ate lunch with him. I was sooo hungry, which was my big mistake. There were subs, chips, (non-diet) soda, and chocolate chip cookies. I drank water, skipped the chips, took one of the tiniest sandwiches and added some extra veggies to it...... and then ate two chocolate chip cookies. I feel SO GROSS now. I've got a stomach of steel, I'm known for being able to eat anything and not feel bad, but I guess 820 calories worth of baked goods all at once, on a nearly-empty stomach, is too much even for me. I think I need to go get some tea. Thanks for letting me confess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Kaw (Kim) posted some links about Mark Sisson's primal lifestyle in another thread. I've long been suspect of wheat and found this stuff interesting.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
I've been reading this web site all week, I can't remember where I saw it first, maybe from one of Kaw's posts... I'm absolutely fascinated and strongly considering it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

I'm sorry Mayness--that's why I always get the BIG sandwich so I'm not hungry for the cookies!

Although, I think the "Primal Blueprint" is a bunch of hullaballoo. It's easy to romanticize the "natural life" of scavenging, but let's be honest: the reason adults were strong and hearty back then is because the weak ones died early. The principles for his "plan" are the same as the guidelines any RD will give you (despite his assurance to the contrary)--stay away from refined sugars, eat some unsaturated fats and lots of leafy greens. He's just souping it up with buzz words, shirt-less pictures and a faith in the fact that people will tack on to the phrase "flies in the face of conventional wisdom." If medical professionals disagree with him, he must be right!

Getting off my soap box now. I was 129 on the dot this morning. Four more to go!

Last edited by tkm256; 02-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Hey Mayness.......forget about the cookies and move on! I'm going to a trivia night tomorrow, and guess what I was asked to bring??? A chocolate chip cookie cake. So I bought one, and it's sitting on my counter staring at me. I'll probably have to eat some tomorrow, but I'm going to forgive myself in advance. LOL.

I'm trying trying trying to step up the exercise, but's it's so hard to get motivated. The cold, snowy weather is my challenge because I love walking outdoors. I did do 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning, so that was good. And I did agree to run a 5K this spring, so I need to figure out my training schedule for that and get going on it.

Hi to all the other Feathers!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #38  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Happy Friday!

Re: the primal/evolutionary/paleolithic/caveman/etc diets: I think they are of value at the minimum simply because they point out that in the last few decades (and -- in the bigger picture -- centuries) food is now readily available that our bodies are not well-adapted to digest. And that we are much more sedentary in general.

I relate to many of the ideas of these diets. What I like about them: emphasis on fruits & veggies, healthy fats and moving around more in general (that's something I am trying to do more - not just "exercising" 1 hour/day and sitting on my butt for the rest of it). But like tkm said, that is all basic sound nutritional advice.

The carbohydrate curve is something to consider. Since I went back to South Beach principles, my carbohydrate levels have been between 70 and ~150 g of carbs (before, was usually >200). According to him, 50-100 g is the "weight loss sweet spot." I'm going to start looking at this more closely.

What I don't like about these diets: for sure I am not giving up beans! And tofu. And I doubt I'd ever give up grains completely.

It made me laugh that the primal diet guy says it's OK to eat tomatoes in cans. I agree that it's OK!! But not very caveman-like

Anyway - based on many considerations, I am strongly reconsidering the role of grains in my life. I love them but maybe they don't love me so much. My newly acquired huge belly seems to deflate when I don't eat as many processed carbs. Maybe oats and quinoa will stay in but whole wheat bread will be out ? Lots of fiddling to be done in this area!

For the last few days I've been eating well (since I started South Beach on Sunday). No more late-night grazing, I'm happy to report. My weight is down to 145.8, which is *only* 2 pounds ABOVE where it was before the holidays

Have a great weekend, Feathers. Be strong if you end up at any SuperBowl parties!

Last edited by EmmaD; 02-05-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #39  
Grandma on the Go!

Default Doing OK.

Yesterday was my official write it on the chart day. I was down 1.5 lbs. for the week. So I was able to draw my little red line moving down. It is funny how such small victories can give such a mood boost. Now I have a whole week to try and get it to move another pound.

Since I have commited to a life plan "this time", and not just losing those extra pounds so I can get back in my work clothes, I am much more satisfied to lose it slowly. The exercise has made such a difference in my life in the last 2 months. I really had to push myself at first, but now I try to get in some activity everyday - even if it is getting up during the commercials and doing leg lifts.

I am thinking about buying the WII machine for the exercise. Does anyone have it? Do you like it?

Still looking forward to the treat on Super Bowl day - but I don't think I will over do it - no promises but we shall see! Have a great day!

Last edited by danni; 02-06-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Good morning!

WRT grains ... I think I had some wheat products on Sunday. All week, I've followed the life-upset-wash-it-down-with-rum diet My weight stayed the same. Yesterday, I had some muffins at work When I got home DH hugged me and patted my belly which was indeed rounded out and protruding in my scrubs. I then had garlic bread.
This morning, I'm up three pounds!
That coupled with everything I've read about wheat, blood type, cave men , etc is plenty to convince me that I need to be very cautious about grains.

It wasn't really very hard to avoid them. I had my shake, eggs, vegetables, my usual lean proteins, coffee, cream, sugar, even a few candies ...

Again ... an experiment with only one subject but very enlightening.

Last edited by srmb60; 02-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #41  
Grandma on the Go!

Smile Hi Susan

Hi Susan,
Until 10 years ago I just always tried the starvation route. A friend told me about Sugar Busters and I read that book. It has worked for me (several times). Now that I'm retired I read a lot about nutrition from as many sources as I can and then use what makes sense to me.

I eat oatmeal almost every morning. I munch on fruits and veggies about every 2 hours during the day and try to have a little protien with it because I read that it helps keep you satisfied longer. I eat triscuit crackers with some of my snacks. But I have not eaten bread in a long time. My husband does laugh at me cutting up all my little bowls of snacks - but I'm losing and he isn't so guess I get the last laugh.

When I started this "last" journey 2 months ago I had to give up my nightly beers. It was really hard - but now I don't miss them at all.
I am going to have one with my treat one Sunday - but I will not get back in the nightly pattern. I don't want to start over - easier to just keep going.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
It made me laugh that the primal diet guy says it's OK to eat tomatoes in cans. I agree that it's OK!! But not very caveman-like

Anyway - based on many considerations, I am strongly reconsidering the role of grains in my life. I love them but maybe they don't love me so much. My newly acquired huge belly seems to deflate when I don't eat as many processed carbs. Maybe oats and quinoa will stay in but whole wheat bread will be out ? Lots of fiddling to be done in this area!
I like that he eats protein bars and whey protein powder. He's definitely a little goofy and gimmicky, but I like that he focuses more on scientific research rather than medical research. Although that's just my bias as a scientist.

I'm thinking the same thing about grains for me... maybe all processed grain products are out (pastas, breads, crackers, etc no matter how "healthy") but whole grains are in. Perhaps wheat is out altogether, but I've got half a bag of bulgur in my cupboard to deal with. Hmm.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I couldn't do it yesterday. I got called to work 3-11 and when I got home near midnight, I was starving. I had a sandwich (they are so frazzin' easy). This morning, I feel bubbly and bulgy. YUck!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #44  
Grandma on the Go!

Wink Good day.

I made it to the gym yesterday - increased the weight on 2 of the machines. Then went to the store and bought all the good fruits and veggies. Then I came home and cleaned and cut up all the veggies so I would be ready for the week. I never sat down until 7:00 pm - didn't eat a lot - just wasn't hungry. And the scale still didn't move! Hello plateau!
But I tried on a pair of pants that would not even come together when I started and I was able to button and zip.

Today my goal is to do some walking.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #45  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Good morning, everyone! Didn't see anone mention snow - is anyone on the East Coast? I live on Long Island right near the Sound, and the storm just missed us - not even a flake here.

Struggling a bit this week - I maintained but hoped I would be down. Having some bathroom issues - finally had to resort to senna tea(sorry, TMI) since nothing else was working - I'm now down 2 lbs. and feel better. Have to the gym the last two days - will definitely go today. Food went well yesterday - about 1200 calories and 90% healthy.

Made oatmeal and egg white/spinach cups for the week for breakfast. Will make a big salad and grill some chicken for lunches. I SO want to be below 140 for V-Day but it's not looking good :-(

Looks like everyone had a great January with maintains and losses. I find January to be the toughest month - post-holiday letdowns and crappy weather. I was down about 5 for January - if I can keep that rate up I will be THRILLED.
Closed Thread