Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/142/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Is your success defined by goal weight or goal clothing size?

Sometimes I feel like I am reaching for the impossible...but then I remind myself that I just can't ALWAYS eat what I want. Period. So I am struggling with that...but let me get to the point here. I have finally figured out that working out is a neccessity and have been fairly consistent for @ a year and REALLY consistent for 2 months. So I think my body has changed...gotten more firm. I just bought new pants at a size 8...I have not been that since I got married 7 years ago. I know I would be comfortable losing a few more pounds and probably getting to a size 6. Should I measure my success by the scale or by the clothes size since my body is changing from exercise?
todayistheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I find both helpful--I also like my tape measure.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I love to measure by the pant-o-meter method because I will not buy anything over a size 10, I sometimes get annoyed if I have to buy a 10 I have to really really want it to buy it... I love the scale for daily accountability. I also use the tape measure regularly...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't use either. I define my success by how I'm eating and moving, and how I live and how I feel. If all that is good, and I've stopped losing, then I'm at goal. I don't know, I don't really care what size I am. Any attachment I might have had to a size was created so long ago that sizes have changed since then. I reached that size more than 10 pounds above my goal (10 pounds above where I used to be that size 10 years ago). I do sort of think of 130 as my goal, because I used to weigh that, but I wouldn't diet just to reach and maintain that number.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #5  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Like Julie - mine is really about how I feel.

My original goal was 140 and a UK size 10 (about a US size 6 currently). But my desire to be a size 10 dated from ten years ago and sizes have changed. When I reached size 10 I was about 147 and I wasn't happy.

So my next goal was 135 and when I hit that I still wasn't happy., I still have a wobbly belly I really hate. It looks OK dressed up and I'm just starting to get into UK size 8 stuff, but I really would like to reduce my belly considerably and be comfortably in all UK size 8 clothes, no matter what the cut, shop etc.

I'm giving myself a goal of 126 but it's really about how I feel.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #6  

I would go by both. I'm really anxious to fit into my clothing again before the pregnancy. I would focus more on the clothing though - then the scale. When I reach my previous clothing size my next goal will be going down another pant size. (currently at 139, wearing a 9-10 and NOT happy)

Last edited by teddygirrl; 04-23-2009 at 11:02 AM.
teddygirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #7  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

I love seeing results on the scale, the tape measure, and in clothing changes... seeing all these things change is terrific motivation. I will not be truly happy, though, until I feel good about my body, and about my habits. When I get to a point where eating nutritiously and exercising regularly is fun and a part of my life that I don't have to force myself into, I think that will be even better than any numbers or sizes. Also, even though I'm done changing sizes, I love seeing how my body looks different in that same size. Seeing a tighter, less "wobbly" (Robsia, we must have similar bellies, because I think of mine that way too!) tummy and stronger, more capable arms and legs is amazing. I like how my fitter, healthier body looks and fits into things, but I also love how much more capable it is! My favorite progress is seeing that I can lift heavy things and run for longer without getting tired, etc.

There are SO many benefits to losing weight and getting in shape, I think it's impossible to have only a single judge of progress. I notice differences in nearly every aspect of my life!
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #8  
Getting back on track!

S/C/G: 272/ticker/142

Height: 5'8

I keep an eye on both. I think they are good tools to keep myself in check.
Tryingtostayskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Just Getting Started...

Height: 5'7"

First and foremost, it's how I feel, and what I think when I look in the mirror. Lately it's been "uhg," and that's why I'm here. When I start getting in shape though, and feel better about what I see in the mirror, I'll start using the scale to measure my progress. If I'm already feeling bad though, the scale just makes it worse.
SarahBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 125/115 takes forever

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by todayistheday View Post
Sometimes I feel like I am reaching for the impossible...but then I remind myself that I just can't ALWAYS eat what I want. Period. So I am struggling with that...but let me get to the point here. I have finally figured out that working out is a neccessity and have been fairly consistent for @ a year and REALLY consistent for 2 months. So I think my body has changed...gotten more firm. I just bought new pants at a size 8...I have not been that since I got married 7 years ago. I know I would be comfortable losing a few more pounds and probably getting to a size 6. Should I measure my success by the scale or by the clothes size since my body is changing from exercise?
I do both.

I think if you are within the ideal/normal weight range, the weight fluctuations no longer tell you the true story while a tape measure does.

I'm forever trying to lose 10 lbs, but in the past 18 months I only managed to lose 3-4 lbs, but got a lot firmer by exercising. I dropped 1-1.5 size in clothing and my waistline shrank an inch and my lower abs got flatter.

I recently started practicing Butterfly stroke swimming, found it helps toning my body a lot.

Last edited by ling; 05-07-2009 at 06:46 PM.
ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #11  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

though i like seeing the number on the scale, ive found that my clothing size change is a much more accurate measure, because even though im not really losing weight right now, apparently im still losing mass because my pant size just dropped again.
i want to lose 10 more pounds, and a pant size. Im not sure which will come first, but im hoping that they will come together, so that i can be happy with weight and size and not feel like i failed at either.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Right now it is clothing. I can not fit any of my summer clothing and refuse to buy more.

Ultimately it's probably body fat% that I will be looking at but I am not sure where I want to be.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 120/120/115

Height: 5'2"

For me, it's about body fat %. I'm currently at 21.8% but want to get back down to 18% (for maximum performance in endurance events).
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 151/129/115

Height: 5'2

for me it is clothing size. until i can fit into my old clothes, i will not be happy.
klementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #15  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by klementine View Post
for me it is clothing size. until i can fit into my old clothes, i will not be happy.
TOTALLY! I will have a whole new (old) wardrobe if I can drop some weight/body fat/girth... I have 3+ boxes of 4/6 (American) clothes packed away in storage. Can't bear to part with them yet.

(Right now I mostly shop at Goodwill - luckily there is one with great stuff nearby - 'cause I refuse to buy expensive stuff in my new size yet).

I think all the measures are important. But mostly the measure I want to improve is the intangible: Looking *good*! Not all lumpy and squishy and out of shape. So I am trying not to focus on the number on the scale.... But dang, it sure is nice when it stops going up and starts coming down
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote