Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Can “good” food trigger a binge?

I am suspecting that fruits are triggering binges on me...
Every time I eat a piece of apple, strawberries, cantaloupes, grapes, etc, I just can’t stop eating it. The good thing is that I stay eating fruits and don’t go to junkie foods. But I am trying to be a binge free person.
So, does anyone know if even healthy food can have this bad effect on you?
Especially now after I read this article about “unhealthy foods hijack overeaters' brains”. It makes me wonder if it happens only with “bad food”.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Hmm...last summer, we got a flat of strawberries from the farmer's market, & when we got home, I stood in the kitchen & just kept popping strawberry after strawberry into my mouth...for about an hour! As I explained to my husband afterwards, each individual strawberry was somehow even sweeter and more delicious than the one before.

I think it's possible to binge on anything. However, I wouldn't let it make you stop eating fruit. I'd just be aware of it, and make a conscious decision to eat one serving, and then count out your berries or grapes or whatever & not let yourself go back if doing so would put you off-plan.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #3  
Workin' It

Fruit sometimes does it to me, absolutely. I portion out my fruit servings into a bowl and put the rest away.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I cut up what I'm going to eat, eat it, then that's it.

So I'll do a small bowl of strawberries or one orange or a few tangerines, and so on.

Though the other day I was CRAVING cauliflower so I literally cut up a whole head of it, then got two tablespoons of ranch and chowed down- all this for like 250 calories- it was a GREAT snack. So filling! And the best part it was 15 grams of fiber
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You know, I think things can trigger binges for different people--for me it's anything with white flour or high amounts of sugar...I wish I could indulge sparingly but I find that after I eat something (even like one piece of cake) I am looking around for the next thing...fruit on the other hand, doesn't do that to me--and of course, I know there is sugar in fruit too but somehow it satisfies me and I move on..

I have read something about combining foods and the way they are recognized by your body..when you want to overeat the fruit, are you typically only eating the fruit?? If so, you might want to try to combine it with a heavy protein--like egg whites or chicken breast or something

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-21-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #6  

I try not mix fruits with anything else, as I read in many places, many times that fruit should be eaten by itself. You can eat various type of fruits at the same time, but should try don’t mix it with other kind of food.
And when I say it trigger a binge I mean I can't control the portion... so it doesn't work if I grab only a piece of apple, because I'll be going back looking for more...
would be the same thing than trying to eat only couple of cookies when you are in a binge,,, It just doesn't work... And I buy a lot of fruits, because I am afraid if I try eat just a little and don't have more in my fridge, I will ended up eating something else, what could be worse... at least fruits are low cal.

Last edited by belezura; 04-21-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Fruit digests very quickly for most which is why I combine them with other things. If I eat only fruit, then an hour later I am definitely looking for something else to eat. This morning we had a school breakfast to attend--when I arrived there was nothing there but fruit and breakfast casseroles. I don't do casseroles because they are usually laden with cheese and meats I don't eat. I did a pile of berries and an hour later came home dying for something else. But each must really do what they find helps them the most.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/141/132

Height: 5.4

I think the sugar in food is what triggers it. I find the same thing with fruit esp. berries and grapes. I have had to restrict myself otherwise it completely derails my best intentions.
linniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

Well, unless you are eating like 5 bananas most fruits are so low cal anyways I say don't feel bad about splurging on some apples or other fruits. I love bananas but only buy like 1 or 2 a week cuz then I'll eat them all!

Here are some of the lower cal fruits I say go nuts on

- 1/2 grapefruit - 35 calories
- 3 medium apricots - 51 calories
- 1 cup cantaloupe - 55 calories
- 1/2 cup of cherries - 37 calories
- 1 cup of cranberries - 45 calories
- 1 cup of grapes - 55 calories
- 1 medium guava - 45 calories
- 1 cup of honeydew melon - 60 calories
- 1/2 papaya (about 5 1/2 ounces) 60 calories
- 1 medium peach - 40 calories

OMG have you had guava? I swear there IS CRACK IN IT! SOOOO GOOD!

Last edited by beerab; 04-21-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #10  

Thank you so much beerab!!!
Guava is one of my favorite fruits!!!
I love it... But I only eat it once/year when I go to vacation to Brazil!!!
Have you ever had Guava with milk on the blender???
OMG!!! Just try it... with a bit of sweetner
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

Oh yeah- I put it with yogurt omg GOOD!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

I cannot eat only ONE banana I've got to eat TWO!! It can get pretty costly on the calories...oh, and also, Thompson raisins, OMG I love those in my oatmeal, I have to measure it, only 2T, because I will throw a cup in....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote