Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

Default motivation, and removing that last 10 lbs

Hi Folks!

I just found the Featherweights section here on 3fc a few days ago, and discovered that THIS is where I belong! I kept thinking that there has to be a place on this site that deals with folks on the tail end of their weight removal journey, and here it is!

I returned to weight lifting, yoga, and clean eating March, 2008, and, so far, have removed around 35 lbs and 20 inches. Now, I am down to removing the last 10 or 15 lbs of weight, and am having such a hard time drumming up motivation to do so. I work in the hospitality industry so walk about 25 hours a week, go to the gym and, overall, eat healthy, I just don't restrict calories as much as I need to do so in order to remove the weight. The positive side is that I am doing well with maintaining. Since November, I keep gaining and removing 4/5 lbs showing an overall definite weight loss of 2 lbs. I think my biggest obstacle is that I feel really good physically and health-wise, and am happy with the way my body looks now.

My questions to all the folks here is what do you do for motivation - what motivates you to continue to remove weight when you are happy with the way you are? How do you beat those last 10 or 15 lbs?

Lou
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem.

I had a realization yesterday: I could list many, many reasons why losing 60 pounds was and is worth it. But there aren't so very many reasons why losing 7 more pounds is worth it. I don't mean it's NOT worth it - it is. But it helps to realize that the ROI is lower at this point. At the very least, it's different. So I'm going to try to make those reasons a little more black and white for me.

Now, the way I will eat and exercise forever really isn't much different than it was for the bulk of my weight loss. I took a really moderate and health-focused approach in the first place. But somehow, mentally, it's a whole new ball game All these healthy changes in my life consumed me for the better part of a year. Now I need to shift them to the background and fill my life up with the stuff I used to avoid by eating and isolating instead. It helps to recognize that that is just as difficult as the weight loss.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Quote:
- what motivates you to continue to remove weight when you are happy with the way you are?
What motivates me is being healthier and trying to be stronger than most of my 50ish friends...
Quote:
How do you beat those last 10 or 15 lbs?
Intensity and consistency in my workouts, which I do ... BUT the intensity and consistency of clean eating I haven't mastered because I love wine and eating a bit of extras on the weekends...just that extra wine and food, keeps me fluctuating and keeping me at my present weight ...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

OH BTW to the Feathers Lou
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: <a href="http://www.TickerFact

Height: 5'5

I just found this site and am right there with you. I'm 6.5 lbs away from a goal weight that I haven't been at in almost 2 years (since I quit smoking). I stay motivated knowing that all those clothes in my closet though fitting right now will fit just a bit better after the last of the weight comes off. My biggest obstacle is like Ilene's...I like alcohol and a few extra calories. I am very good about putting them off to the weekend, but can't always maintain my vigilance and therefore the loss is slow going. Hopefully this site will help with my motivation and dedication. Good luck to you,
Last5in09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/135.6/128

Height: 5'8 1/2

I have the exact same problem. I only want to lose 6-8 lbs, but my motivation is really lacking. I'm already a size 6 and people already think I'm thin enough. But I still want to get rid of those last pounds I put on in college.

It's drinking and a few extra calories too. I'm going to try to go a month with drinking (starting last Sunday).

It's always Friday and Saturday that kill me. I'm even thinking about skipping a party on Saturday. If I go, I know I will drink. They're all crazy fun, but big Irish drinkers.
madridguiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

My advice is start writing everything you eat down! lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #8  

Thank you for all your feedback. It sounds as though a couple of you are facing a similar challenge as myself - enjoying a few extra calories or items that are not so conducive for weight loss. I have been lagging on food tracking as much as I was prior, been this way for a couple of weeks now, and really have to focus on a return to doing so as it really does help keep me in line.

Thank you so much!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I am in the exact same boat. I guess I just have to have the I'm not done mindset. I feel really good and I am maintaining and eating pretty much what I want (in moderation, of course). I have changed so much of my eating habits over the last 9 months and I am pretty comfortable, but I still feel like I haven't achieved my final goal. Maybe we can motivate each other?
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/122/tight and toned!

This thread completely speaks to me. It seems like the first 15 pounds was so easy. Now I can't even remember what my body felt like when it was heavier. I've just gotten so comfortable with these 10 extra pounds that it's hard to see what real gain I'd get from losing them. I still want to though! I'd like to sport a bikini on my adult body rather than my pre-teen body. Back then, it was pretty much given to me... nothing to work towards
ohmanilovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/135.6/128

Height: 5'8 1/2

I skipped that party and haven't drank since 2/14. Now the weekend is fast approaching and once again my will power is dropping. MUST.STAY.STRONG.
madridguiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #12  

Congratulations on sticking with your goal madrig! That is super! Have you ever thought of just switching your choice of beverages so you don't miss out on hanging around with your friends?

You are right riley...we do have about the same amount of weight to remove still. Have you done anything to work towards it since posting in this thread? I have made more of an effort to track my food closer the last couple of days, and have stayed on program. As well, I am going to the gym as usual.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #13  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

If I was completely happy with the way I was I probably wouldn't be looking to lose any more, so no motivation required.

But I still have a jiggly baby belly and thunder thighs which I want to get rid of so I'm looking to drop another 10 pounds eventually. My ultimate goal ais 126.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

You know what, Theloula? I've read your post several times now, & the sentence that keeps jumping out at me is, "I think my biggest obstacle is that I feel really good physically and health-wise, and am happy with the way my body looks now." If that's the case, then why are you trying to lose more weight? Is it just because you set a numerical goal that is what you think you "should" weigh? In my opinion, if you're happy with your health, physcial abilities and appearance at your current weight - then you're DONE! Congratulations, girl!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #15  

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

I have been at 138 for about the past 2 weeks. I need to get motivated to lose my last 6!
JerseyGirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote