3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   Measurements? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/160978-measurements.html)

JadeBlue14 01-09-2009 10:56 PM

Measurements?

I know that the number on the scale isn't always the best way too judge health and weight loss, so we're supposed to take measurements. How often do the rest of you do it? I don't want to take mine too often and get discouraged when they don't change. Thanks for any advice!

Ilene 01-11-2009 01:46 PM

I try to measure on the first of every month, it doesn't always happen that way, so I usually end up measuring every 2 months or so...

JulieJ08 01-11-2009 07:11 PM

I measure weekly. I think that ends up comparable to daily weighing in terms of seeing ups and downs. So I would go with monthly measuring if you like weekly weighing.

JadeBlue14 01-12-2009 10:20 AM

thanks for the advice guys

dominodreams 01-13-2009 12:52 PM

What do you guys usually measure? I'm thinking waist, hips, bust (girth, not cup size)... Am I missing anything?

Also, do you guys get one of those fabric measuring tapes or do you have some trick to it?

Priscatip 01-13-2009 01:09 PM

And for you measurers (is that a word?) - what are the measurements 'supposed' to be? All I can think of is Sir Mix A Lot - 36, 26, 26 - only if she's 5'3"...

JulieJ08 01-13-2009 01:47 PM

You hear/read that the "ideal" figure is 10" bigger at the bust and hips compared to the waist. Personally, I think that is just based on symmetrical math and pure nonsense. And fortunately, society is getting over the idea of one ideal figure and realizing there are lots of body types and they're all normal and beautiful.

As for what they "should" be, the only relevant measurements are in clothing size charts. Obviously, "should" isn't the right word, but from a practical standpoint, you'll have any easier time if you are similar to the designer's proportions. BUT ... all designer's use different proportions.

JadeBlue14 01-13-2009 08:38 PM

when i measure, i do over the bust (biggest part), and i do an under the bust measurement. i do the smallest part of the waist and the biggest part of the hips. i'm also thinking about measuring around each bicep and thigh since i've started working out more.
i use just one of those plasticy dress makers measuring tapes. they're pretty cheap. i can't even remember where i got it.
so far, i don't really have goal measurements. i'm sure i will when i lose a little more weight, but right now, it's just a way to track my progress.

Robsia 01-18-2009 07:44 AM

I measure:
Bust
Waist
Hips
Upper thigh
Calf
Bicep
Lower arm
Neck

At the moment I am in the middle of seeing what a difference C25K makes. I measured at the beginning of the programme and I'm not measuring again until I'm at the end so I can see precisely what a difference exercise makes.

But normally I would measure monthly - there was usually enough of a change when I was still losing rather than maintaining.