Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #16  
Changing for the better

to 3mom and cornellchick!! It's exciting to see new faces since Featherweights is a pretty small group, but a great niche in the sea of various forums at 3FC.

I'm a 19-year-old (soon to be 20 on Sunday, woohoo! ) college student...I've always had about 5-10 extra pounds on my frame and at 4'10", there's not a lot of places for that "extra" to hide, let me tell you...so here I am trying to lose it for good, the old-fashioned way Have never been on any real diets, except WW a while ago for a short time...I am just trying to eat healthy portions of nutritious foods and work out at the gym at least 5 days a week. So far it is working great; I started at 120-121ish (considered "overweight" for my height) in May and am at 110lbs right now.

3mom, I think it's great that you are getting your husband/family involved in a healthy lifestyle! And congrats on the 81lb loss so far, that is amazing - I bet that if you utilize 3FC as a resource those last 10 will come off and stay off. In Featherweights it is pretty quiet but we have a "Planning & Chat" thread each week where we discuss what we are doing (with diet/exercise and life in general) and basically encourage each other to keep going (because the last few pounds are always the hardest I think - they just don't want to come off!).

cornellchick, it sounds like you are on the right track! Plateaus can be tough to break out of, but it's great that you did. Listening to your body is definitely important, and replacing those snacks and empty-calorie drinks with more wholesome and filling foods will keep you from getting too hungry too soon after eating.

I was worried about dinner at the neighbor's house last night, but their daughter ended up cooking a delicious and healthy meal for all of us! I probably ate a LITTLE more than usual, but I didn't feel "stuffed" afterward so that's good.
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #17  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

Height: 5'4"

glad to have you guys!

Kimberly - happy early b-day! Officially a 20 something now! good luck getting to your goal!
Iris...i'm still with ya. Had a horrible binge day today, but tomorrow is a new day. So with that being said i commit to being binge free for the next month (and the next and the next and the next, but i'll take it one at a time!)
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 153/153/130

Height: 5'5

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie here. I have about 20lbs to lose and sometimes think it is impossible. The scale has not moved in two weeks now so I think it is time to really jump start my diet again. My biggest weakness is fruity candy. I just cannot resist!

Does anyone else here do a spin class? I go 3 times a week to an hour long class. It is tough work and I sweat like crazy. I also try to weight train 2 or 3 nights a week. Anyone have any suggestions to break up my plateau?
Kinsey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #19  
Changing for the better

Kinsey - I do a spinning class once every week at the YMCA since my dad teaches it He definitely runs us ragged....

If that is your complete exercise routine, I would say you should shake things up a bit. Do spinning once or twice per week, and add some other activities like swimming, jogging, yoga, pilates, etc. to your schedule. Maybe there are other classes at your gym that you haven't tried before - who knows, you could find an activity you love! Weightlifting is great as well, so I wouldn't change that - just make sure you give each muscle group time to rest (i.e. don't do upper body 2 days in a row - alternate upper and lower).

What is your diet like? Are you following any sort of plan already?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Default i only want it because it's here...

welcome to 3mom, kinsey, and cornellchick! good to see some new faces... we've recently lost a few to maintenence! (lucky chicks!)

as for the title of my post - i brought home a couple pounds of blackberries from my day job (I work out of a university research farm) and made a blackberry cheesecake, intending to eat one piece and take it to work to share. Naturally I ate about half of the cheesecake AND most of the remaining nilla wafers I'd used to make the crust. Worse... i completely forget to grab it on my way to work this morning. so now i'm sitting here salivating over the half cheesecake in my fridge, which I know I'm perfectly fine without. I even made it with full fat ingredients, which i never do when baking for myself... *sigh*. should I just throw it out??? I can't bring myself to do that.

Kimberly! (in case i don't log on this weekend)

and skinnybeach... I'm with you - today is aug 1: let's be binge-free this month! a month is pretty ambitious for me, but i'm feeling good today so I'll shoot for it. i'm moving across the country and i want to start out and stick with healthy patterns in my new home. we can do it!

i hope you all have a great weekend! i'm working 2nd shift the next 3 days (at the nursing home) and trying to get everything packed up as well... only one more week and I'm debating staying at my parents house for the last few days since most of my furniture is gone. the only negatives are missing my comfy bed, the sluggish internet they have, and the abundance of ice cream and other tempting foods!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/149/135

Height: 5'2"

3mom, kinsey, and cornellchick welcome!

love blackberries however I have blueberry bushes - many are ripe so I pick every day- grabbing this for snack or to thwart munchie brain is what I do with them - the extras I freeze
trailgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 153/153/130

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the advice Kite. I was thinking about trying some other classes but I always feel uncomfortable walking into a new class. I know, lame excuse. My goal for next week is to try one new class. I will let you know how that goes. I am not following a strict diet, I try to limit to about 1200 cal a day and eat lean meats, lots of fruit and some veggies. (I'm not a big veggie eater)

Iris- Good luck with the cheesecake. I know how that goes. I would not have the self control. I saw you mentioned binging in your post. I have troubles with that too. Maybe we can help support each other with not binging?

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
Kinsey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #23  
Mommy to be!

Iris - It is so nice to know i'm not the only one that has caved recently. Your splurge sounds so worth it though...mine was just random crap. I seem to be doing okay today though, thank goodness!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

haha skinny - usually i do binge on random crap but i have to agree at least this time it feels more "worth it!"

kinsey, i'm trying to do a month (*gasp* what a long time for me) binge free. join me if you like and i'm always here for support. =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #25  
Changing for the better

Peeked at the scale this morning (couldn't resist ) and it said 109lbs! I won't officially change my ticker until tomorrow though, because Sunday morning is my usual weigh-in day. If that is an accurate number then I have met my "birthday goal"!! I was going to take today off from the gym so hopefully that won't affect it.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #26  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Happy birthday Kimberly!! Hope you have a fantastic day

Iris did you eat the cheesecake? I'm feeling a little skittish now as today I'm going to make a cheesecake, but thankfully I've had a really good week and haven;t felt to tempted lately so I'm hoping I can resist more than 1 slice. I'm also hoping I lose some more weight, it seems whenever I lose a few lbs they just stick... maybe I need to reduce my calories. Hm, we'll see.

Also - welcome to the new faces! Nice to see ya

Last edited by Spoz; 08-03-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Kimberly!

Yes, I'm among those who blow up the daily calorie limit with random garbage . A handful of whole grain tortilla chips here, a glass of wine there, some cheese, oh that leftover (fill in the blank), and next thing you know, the sirens are going off and the big red lights are flashing "OVER PLAN! OVER PLAN! OVER PLAN". Sigh. Not that I did that yesterday or anything (cough, cough).
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #28  
Mommy to be!

That's me too!! ICK...i feel so much better when i eat well, so why do i cave to crap!?!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #29  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Oh I feel rubbish today! I'm not gaining weight but I have a seriously important meeting with an old friend in December and I really want to feel gorgeous by then. Since I'm practically starting this weight loss journey again (minus 5 lbs) do you think its possible to lose 20 lbs by December?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #30  
Mommy to be!

Sure! I started at 168 at the end of last August and was at 147-150 in December. So around there is absolutely possible! And i'm a SLOW loser. I lost just about a lb a week avg, but you know how that goes. Lose nothing for 3 weeks, then lose 2 lbs! Now that i'm getting smaller I am losing 2 lbs every month or every other month!