Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #1  
Walking away the weight

Default Planning and Chat for June 21-27

I think we forgot to start a new thread on the 21st So here is our chat thread for a new week!

I have never started the chat thread before . . . but I hope everyone will be having a week of success
Loveliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #2  
Walking away the weight

I am off to a good start today. A 40 minute walk and all Not much else planned for the day other than to avoid spending money
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I'm new here, and I wish I had something positive to post about last week, but it's been a frustrating one. I seem to be on a two lb for the last month or so.

I'm trying to get motivated again, my goal is to eat really clean and bump up the cardio for the next five days.

Here's to a new week!
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #4  
Changing for the better

Silverstar33! Glad to have you here - we are a smaller group and it is always nice to see new faces

Today I am starting the Couch to 5k running plan (again...). This year I intend to stick with it, and taking the advice of websites I have come across, I will pace myself and not do too much too soon.

I would also like to do free weights instead of using the machines at the gym, but it is still a little intimidating/awkward it seems.... I know that's a common feeling for out-of-shape women but I need to find some way to overcome it, since it is something I really want to do.

Another day of treats & sweets at work that I must avoid I had one small almond blondie-thing and picked off some fruit off a fruit tart That is it for today though! Cookies and donuts will not help me fit into my dress.

I mentioned it to my mom and she said that this is where my "stubbornness" comes in handy I guess it is not a completely negative quality!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Thanks! I'm glad to be here. Hopefully next week there will be less of me here (lol)!

The free weights are very intimidating. I was nervous about starting, until I found out that our park district had an intro to weight lifting for women class.

I know it may seem pricey, but it may be worth it to do a session with a trainer to make sure you have proper form. Trust me, once you get going with it, you're going to love the way it makes you feel!

I was so intimidated the first time I went over to the free weight area. It was all men. The women were busy, busy on the cardio machines. After a couple of times, you realize that no one really cares what you're doing or how much you're lifting. I'm at the point now where I even started enjoying the raised eyebrows when I drag the exercise ball over to the weight section to do some of the lifts I learned in my class!
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Yea, we are back to the Monday start on the thread. That's how it used to be, and to me it makes much more sense because I end my week on Sunday and "start" it on Monday. Thanks for getting us going, Leigh!

Speaking of starting, I need to start off strong today. I did great the last two weeks, but I was so busy over the weekend that I 1) ate too much and 2) did not exercise. I know, bad.

The wedding I'm in is Saturday the 28th, so I want to be on track all week.

Welcome to Silver!

Sounds like Leigh and Kimberly are off to a good start.

Have a healthy day ladies... I NEED to since I just had 2 rather unhealthy ones!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #7  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well I've started off with a good week after a not so bad week! I went through an awful month where i went off plan most days and lately I've had maybe two days most in the week where i went over by about 100 - which can easily be fixed by a slight reduction for the other days. I'm trying not to let the fluctuations bug me and I'm going to persevere and do some more weights and muscle building in the hopes that might help.

I totally love this chat - Everybody is always so positive and to see you all lose weight and overcome barriers really helps me stick to plan too ! By the way, welcome silver it's alwaus nice to see a new face!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

Sounds like everyone is on the right track.....I always remind myself to just take things 1 or 2 days at a time; that makes everything a lot easier! Do your best for today, and if you slip up, learn from your mistakes and start anew - but a little wiser than before

I'm about to leave work and go to the gym, and I might take your advice Silver - my dad works at the Y as a personal trainer, so it would be easy enough to have him help me Thurs/Fri/Sat when he's not working. I know I can do it if I just suck it up but I've always been very self-conscious.

I am super excited about started the C25K plan today
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #9  
Walking away the weight

Hi, silverstar! Welcome to our little group. I have had a couple of friends who have used personal trainers and found them very helpful.

Kimberly - how did the running plan go today?

Claire- I have every confidence that you will be ready for the wedding

Spoz- I am so happy you are feeling back on track!

I had a good on plan day. But now I find I have DS's cold So I may take sleeping in a bit int he morning over my walk.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi girls,

I was sooo busy all day that once again, I have not exercised.

I was dressed with running shoes on this morning when the plumber called and said he was on his way. DH was at Lowe's, so I had to stay while he was here. I have had the appt for a week and assumed he'd be here in the afternoon. Needless to say, I got wrapped up in all I have to do before the wedding, and here it is 10 and no work out.

Did I mention DH and I are hosting the after wedding party here at our house?? That's why I've been so busy. The wedding is at my friend's dad's house, but the reception there will be very low key - very nice, but very small. My friend was very torn because the wedding at her dad's has to be quite small, so months ago we offered our place at the sort of post-reception party. That why my friends get to invite their work friends, and kind of extend the wedding day, plus they get to relax and have a drink with their friends... it will be a chance for them to let their hair down and have some fun.

My friend and her fiance are providing all of the drinks and food and even some of the decor (extending from the wedding), but DH and I have been working our $%^^s off to get our modest house ready. One of our two toilets has been broken, so hence the plumber today. We also have installed several new light fixtures - porch lights and a flood light outside and a foyer light. DH did some, but we had to get an electrician to wire outside for the floodlight. Today I CLEANED the house VERY thoroughly. I'm embarrassed to admit, but I don't think my bedroom has ever been this clean. DH spent the day weed eating and mulching all the flower beds and herb gardens. We live on 1.5 acres, so it's a lot of yard work. We are both beat.

We are doing lots of projects that have needed done for a long time... it's a good feeling to get all of this done, and I'm also very excited to do this for my dear friend. It is going to be a blast - I don't think I mentioned that DH's band is playing too - so it will be really fun.

The only thing I'm neglecting is taking care of my body - yep, that was supposed to be a priority today. I really need to make a point to get some exercise each day the rest of the week. It's a necessity!

Thanks for letting me get all this out.

Kimberly - you should totally get some free training from your dad! That would be cool!

Spoz - hang in there. You and I will get all this sorted out -here's to having more on days than off!

Hi to everyone else, and I'm off now to at least do a few crunches and situps.

Night.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Quick hello

I'm around (but not too round ) and I'm down to 131 this Tuesday.

The personal trainer is an amazing way to get going with the weights. I used one for 6 weeks and just changed my whole body!

I'm hoping my financial situation changes again so I can re-hire her to kick my can once a week. It's really made a difference!

I'm away for a 5 day weekend this Friday but will try to post more regularly after that.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #12  
Changing for the better

My first day of the program yesterday went really well - it was actually pretty easy But I know I'm not supposed to do more than what the schedule says, so I will just keep following it. It was funny though; right when I was about to start running, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by JET came on...so I picked up the pace right at "GO!!!" It's great when the music becomes synced with what you are doing coincidentially.

My shins were hurting a little bit, but because of the shorter walking/running intervals, I was able to stave off any real pain.

I'm definitely going to enlist my dad to get me started on the free weights this week; it's something I want to do so I can't let intimidation get in the way! If I listen to my music while I lift it will probably distract me a little bit, allow me to ignore everyone else and just focus on myself without worrying about people looking at me.

I got kinda bummed out last night when I tried on my dress The hips still bother me...my parents say they're not that bad but I just zero in on the chub whenever I try it on. I considered wearing the dress anyway, but with a body slimming thing (shapewear) - they're about $20 at Target or Macy's for a waist slimmer that is supposed to smooth everything out. Do you think I should buy one? I've never used one before, but if they work it would make me so much less self-conscious
Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #13  
Walking away the weight

Hello all! I am very tired today and definitely not walking. Poor DS threw up in the middle of the night, so DH and I of course had to clean him and everything up then had trouble falling back asleep, although we finally did. But I am hoping DS is all better when he wakes.

Claire- how lovely of you and DH to offer your home for the party. That is so generous and hospitable. But I can also understand the stress too.

Dagmar- I have missed you sooooo much! on 131!!!!!! Awesome.

Kimberly- on getting the 5k plan underway. If you are in the market for a slimmer, I would highly recommend the Sara Blakley ones at Target (it is her Target version of Spanx) and they are awesome.

Last edited by Loveliam; 06-24-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #14  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well done Dogmar, amazing job!

Im totally fed up right now..I'm staying under my calorie limit, and still NOTHING I'm giving it another week to see if anything happens, after that I think I'm going to have to look at changing my plan.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #15  
Changing for the better

Spoz - sorry to hear about your frustration. Just remember...Thomas Edison once said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work." I'm sure you will find what "works" for you if you don't give up! Have you discussed your plan with any doctors/dieticians/trainers lately? A different perspective might be able to shed some light on your troubles.

Dagmar - congrats!! Judging by your profile it looks like you are one pound away from goal... Even if using the personal trainer again doesn't work out, I bet you can kick your own can just as well!

So I was planning on going to the gym today, but I think I am going to use this as my day off instead considering I am verrrry tired....I haven't gotten the best sleep for the last couple of nights, so I will be going to bed very early tonight! Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow morning all rested and ready to go for W1D2 of C25K

Leigh - thanks for the recommendation; I actually have a Macy's coupon that I will use on something like this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=EverGreen or this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=27305

I'll probably go to the mall within the next couple of days to check them out.