Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #1  
Proud mama to Baby Bree!

S/C/G: 142/142/130

Height: 5' 4"

Default Need some motivation / support

So, here's what last week was like for me. BTW, the gym I belong to is located in the same building as my office and that's the only location.

Monday: worked late, have a 45 minute commute home, was already hungry
Tuesday: left work early to pick dog up from vet so couldn't go to gym; worked till 8 that night from home
Wednesday: same as Monday
Thursday: same as Monday
Friday: left work at 5, had dinner with hubby, relaxed

I've been under a lot of stress lately with work projects and I'll be traveling every day this coming week. I've managed to avoid the doughnuts in the breakroom (okay, I had 1/3 of one someone had left but not a whole one) and I've tried to make some small changes in the way I eat. Normally, when I'm this stressed, my first tendency is to eat comfort foods. But, instead of chips with sandwich for lunch, I had fruit. Instead of grabbing another Dr. Pepper, I'd get water. When I wanted that breakfast burrito, I had a Fiber One bar instead.

So, when I got on the scale this morning, I was expecting to see at least a small change. But no, nothing, it was even up a pound! What gives? I know I didn't make time for exercise. I do have a Gazelle here at the house I could have used but I ate better last week than a normal week and I gain instead of loss or at least maintain! ARGH!!!
thebeautywithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

hang in there, it's only been a week... It didn't take a week to gain the weight...

Good for you for adding water instead of Dr Pepper and refusing the burrito but I would not have chosen the Fiber One bar my favorite at work snack is yogurt and a cup of blueberries :yum: ...

You could add some walking during lunch hour... do some tapes at home before getting into the work you have to do, it only takes an hour or less most times to do a tape... There are many out there some Leslie Sanson (sp?) I do Yoga tapes .... GO to that gym located in your building, how lucky are you to have a gym so close, I wish! ...

I've also read that if stress is high the cortisol levels are high and this prevents fat loss... Here is a Shape article that explains it....

Hope this helps keep us posted on your progress

Last edited by Ilene; 05-04-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #3  
one day at a time....

S/C/G: 145/143/135

Height: 5'9"

Is there any way you can get to the gym before work? I am the excuse queen (well, without the crown ), and the only thing that has worked for me is getting my butt out of bed earlier. It's soooo hard to do the first week, but after that, I crave it, even on the weekends. That way, no matter what comes up in my day, my workout is done with, and I don't feel guilty for having to skip it. It also helps me make smarter food choices during the day because I don't want to undo all of the hard work I did in the morning! Even if you can't make it to the gym, could you go for a walk or do an exercise video at your house? At least you'd get something in, in case things come up later in the day...
starrynight1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/180/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Its alot better to exercise while you are dieting, but if you just cannot work exercise into your schedule, you will still lose weight if you are restricting your calories and fat grams. if i weigh myself every day, no matter how little ive had to eat, the scale basically reads the same, for about 2 weeks, when i suddenly see a drop off of 1-3 pounds, drink alot of water and cut wayyy back on those fat grams, ive lost 32 pounds since january of this year, and right now im feeling mad at myself because at lunch today, i ate 2 peices barbque chicken and a humungous peice of cornbread swimming in god knows how much butter, but i will make up for it at dinner, no matter how hungry i get tonight, im only going to allow myself a fat free yougurt,, 60 calories,, and 5 slices of turkey lunch meat,45 calories and a vitamin, and about 10 glasses of water! i know thats extreme, but i feel better, look better than i have in years, also bring to work raw carrots, with some homemade dip for them, the dip is fat free, a container of fat free sour cream, add to that a package of vegetable soup mix--dry. use the large container sour cream, if you want to get fancy, buy frozen spinach, unthaw it, drain every bit of water out of it and stir that into the sour cream/veg soup mix, it is delious with raw vegtables instead of ranch dip. good luck
ccindy is offline   Reply With Quote