Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/138/120

Height: 5' 2"

Cool Buddha belly prompts preggers inquiries

That's right... another woman in this world thought that it would be appropriate to look at my middle and ask when I was due. I'm not pregnant. I happen to be a short, petite person who caries what my grandmother calls "my bread basket" around my middle. Essentially, I'm a relatively small person with a gut. (Thank goodness for the featherweight category!)

Here's my story...ever since I started grad school I've been slowly packing on pounds. My mentality was that I would try to take care of myself when school was over. That seemed like a good idea until I started experiencing physical changes in my body that have not been so pleasant. I have heartburn, I get winded when I climb a flight of stairs, and magically a round budda belly has formed around my middle, making my cute tops pop above my spare tire. My jeans are tight, my underwear seems snug and the only clothes I enjoy wearing are things that have elastic in the waist band. But I am determined to make a change.

So here is my challenge for myself. I want to make it a goal to not only lose weight but primarily to regain my health. After I graduate next year I would like to begin trying to start a family. So my quest is to get myself healthy and fit before I get pregnant. My problem is that I have always started diets, fitness programs, etc., and I never ever commit to finishing a thing. I lose 5lbs feel happy and then give up. So I'm hoping that reaching out for some support will be the key to get me to be a healthier, thinner person.

Any suggestions, words of encouragement or tips for getting into pre pregnancy shape would be fantastic!

~ Angie
GlitzyGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #2  

Height: 5ft 4in

You have come to the right place!

My advice for you is to do it now and make it a habit. I have 2 kids who are AWSOME!! But with each one and with every year it has become harder to lose weight and get back into a habit. About 6 months ago I weighed 156 and had a hard time running up the stairs (which - being a stay-at-home-mom I do quite often). Now, after 10 lbs, 2 miles 3x a week on the tredmill and just watching what I eat I run up the stairs by 2's. The biggest thing to remember is slow and steady wins the race (I have lost less than 2 lbs a month, but I am happy with that) I don't deprive myself of anything. For one week every month I eat like crazy due to pms. If I could get a handle on that I would probably lose more but I have to look at this as a life style change. I am going to have pms for at least anoter 15 -20 years so I need to learn that that is part of my life.

All that being said, just know that you can do this! Don't get down on yourself for falling occasionally. Start off with things that you can handle. Walking, cutting meals in half. What ever you can handle that will work for you and that you can LIVE with. This is a great place for motivation and support no matter how much or how little you need to lose. Good luck and hope to see you around the forum.
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

10 lbs ago I was asked if I was pregnant twice in one week. Don't let that get you down. From my experience, there is nothing anyone can say to really motivate me. I cannot wait for the motivation, I just have to do it - diet and exercise, if I'm motivated or not. The best advice I have is to make a plan. Take 5 mins every morning, plan your menu and exercise for the day, and stick to it like glue. Keep your future child's health in your mind. Good luck!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Looks like you found the right group!!!! Remember that these are permanent changes we have to make. If we stop after 5 pounds each time then we're not doing ourselves and our bodies any favors. I think it's great that you want to focus on regaining your health. I think that's a good way to go about this.

Since it's your health you want to focus on, why not try to make one small change today that will help you be healthier. That could be drinking all your water, eating your vegetables/fruits, getting in a little bit of physical activity... And once you get a handle on that, add in another small thing!

Looking for support is a fantastic way to stay on track as well. We're all here for you through the good, the bad, and the down right infuriating. Don't hesitate to keep posting and searching around the forums.

Best of success!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #5  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

Welcome! I think you've taken the first step by posting here. I've found motivation and support even when I wasn't feelin the healthy lifestyle. Being here helps to get back on the wagon, so to speak!
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

one thing i try to avoid is making comments or asking questions to women i don't know who i think might be pregnant... precisely because if they are not i am sure i'm making them feel horrible.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Welcome to feathers!

One suggestion from me. If the budda belly is a typical weight gain for you then ignore this. If it came on suddenly or is not typical of how you gain weight then you might want to see a physician to rule out any other problems.

That's probably a good idea anyway. Good idea to consult with your health care pro before starting any new regimen to make sure therre are no underlying problems. My DH started going to the gym and running on a treadmill without first seeing his doctor and wound up having to have knee surgery.

Dagmar (the one with the cute outfits)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

GlitzyGrad ... Yes you've come to the right place ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #9  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

My housemate has a developmental disability, but as I was gaining even more weight over last summer, he started to make the pregnant jokes to me. It still didn't change my behavior, but ouch.
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote