3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   diet success goes with an orderly life? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/135486-diet-success-goes-orderly-life.html)

Just Deb 02-26-2008 07:47 PM

diet success goes with an orderly life?

My cousin and I were discussing this the other day: Is it easier to succeed in eating healthy when you have order in your life? Kind of along the lines of the new book "Does this clutter make my butt look big?" I have noticed that I am doing both. I am losing weight and organizing my house is my new hobby. Is it just me? Just curious.

srmb60 02-26-2008 07:57 PM

I do think that if we get something in order, we see the possiblity of getting more things in order. Now that you mention it ... my house does stay some better than it used to.

emiloots 02-26-2008 08:15 PM

I did read somewhere that "Type A" personalities (e.g. very organized, scheduled, goal oriented) people have the most success losing weight and keeping it off.

I do feel like when I have my home life together I can focus on my needs easier than when I'm surrounded by chaos. It's hard to plan out your meals and take the time to count calories when you're worried about the toys all over your living room, cleaning up the mess from dinner, the 5 loads of laundry waiting to be done, getting DS bathed and off to sleep, packing lunches for tomorrow, showering, possibly fitting in sex and sleep somewhere!

Azure 02-26-2008 09:33 PM

I think that is 110% true. I was just talking about this with my brother tonight on the phone. When I'm on with weight loss, it's because my whole life is on. When I'm in that zone, I hit the gym like clockwork, I eat like a champ, my dishes are done, the apartment's clean, I go to all my classes and my homework gets done. Only problem is, when I'm off, I'm off, too.

I'm trying to find either a permanent state of "on", or a way to find a resting place in the middle when I'm at my goal.

frog0726 02-26-2008 09:34 PM

I wish it were that way with me! I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, sports etc. My life is chaos.

CountingDown 02-26-2008 10:04 PM

Yes and No.

The no - I find I can compartmentalize my life and have extreme order in one place and chaos in another.
The old me:
Work - very organized, detailed, planned
House - not so much
Schedule of activities - very organized, detailed, planned
Eating and exercise - not so much

The yes - The new me is bringing order and discipline to the eating and exercise part of my life. I DO think it is easier to do this because I have so much order and discipline in other areas of my life. I already have the skills and experience.

reenester 02-26-2008 10:35 PM

It is true. When you are organized, you are confident and in control. You are in control of your food, your time to exercise, and there are certain conditions that you insist to be met, you are acting, rather than reacting. When you take charge, you are more successful. So I believe. I walked today for 35 minutes with weights. Am tired. I am going to the Dr. for a checkup in 3 weeks, and I want to have my blood pressure down, since it is not realistic for me to drop 30 lbs really quickly. ( yes, I know, I am doing it properly, except for those damn m&m tonight.

ennay 02-27-2008 07:23 PM

yes for me....I feel bad about the state of my house today and I binged. When I am in control things get cleaner.

Mudpie 02-28-2008 07:57 AM

Control vs compulsion

Control is good. Compulsion is not.

My house is relatively clean. My body is relatively healthy and I'm at a good weight for my frame and height.

I get over half my to-do list done most Saturdays. My cats get brushed a couple of times a week.

I like order and tidiness but I'm not gonna give up my life for it. Same goes with the dieting/maintenance. I will look great but not at the cost of everything else. I like to eat out and have a dessert once in a while. I have other stuff to do besides going to the gym 4 hours a day in order to lose one more inch off my butt.

Moderation in all things. That concludes our lecture for today ;).

Dagmar :p

Just Deb 02-28-2008 10:18 AM

Interesting answers. I find that chaos creates chaos in my life. And yes dagmar moderation is a key - when it becomes complusive I shut down and quit. Thanks for the feedback.

StellaBella 02-28-2008 10:51 AM

Not for me. I am a compulsive neat-freak so my house is almost always orderly. Something I have noticed though, is that I am very all-or-nothing with my weight loss efforts. Either I am eating well and very active or I am on the computer all day, eating whatever I feel like.

I guess I have issues!

Lekhika 02-29-2008 02:24 PM

This is totally true for me. I find that as my weight came under my control as did the happenings and state of my house.

I love it. I feel sort of ocd and anal quite a bit but I love it!

justdoit37 03-01-2008 11:51 AM

Gonna go home and clean the house after work, lol. I have to agree with you about organization.
If my fridge is organized, and I have my meals planned out I am successful with my eating.
When my house is not clean or organized I put off exercising to clean.
Good luck to all in getting organized.

trailgroomer 03-01-2008 12:00 PM

orderly life works better for me

I think it does - when I have a plan esp. when things are hectic then I eat better, rest better and have time to work out.

nineteen 03-02-2008 12:23 PM

I could not agree more. I've been cleaning out my whole house and I definitely notice how it improves other areas of life, including weight loss. I feel calmer and more focused. I'm naturally the messy type but getting organized makes me feel so much better.