Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Since there are four parts to my plan, there is very seldom a day that I'm perfectly on-plan. However, there's also a better chance that I can do something right. Just one thing. And then I'm not horribly off-plan, right?
I am a bit wistful that I haven't lifted for several days and my eating is neither less nor clean but ... I am walking.
Did that make sense? It's a mindgame, I know. But it works for me.
You've been under your goal weight since July - your 4 plan parts are working together to keep you there (including the fifth part - your brain ).

We all have to figure out what works for each of us. Sometimes we figure that we can do a shortcut (your zone bars) but it re-establishes that, no, we really can't.

It's getting easier for me to face the fact that I will be watching what I eat for the rest of my life . I will cheat occasionally but I will know and I will correct the next day. I will NOT be writing everything down every day for the rest of my life (or getting out my calculator for the calories), or weighing everything that goes into my mouth . I WILL know what portions are right for me and what to cut back on if my clothes start getting tight.

How's that for a philosophical ramble?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #32  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
It's getting easier for me to face the fact that I will be watching what I eat for the rest of my life . I will cheat occasionally but I will know and I will correct the next day. I will NOT be writing everything down every day for the rest of my life (or getting out my calculator for the calories), or weighing everything that goes into my mouth . I WILL know what portions are right for me and what to cut back on if my clothes start getting tight.
This is how I feel. I want to get to the point where I won't use my scale every day and I won't write down what I eat every day. I'll be able to use good judgment without using my scale and my calculator.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We're a quiet bunch of losers this morning!
Hi everybody!

I found the kitchen counter under all those dirty dishes and wrappers! Hurray! It was horrible and spotted too. A bit of dusting and tidying, a coupla loads of laundry ... and this joint should start looking like my home again.

I believe today is what Ann Fletcher would say is time to 'nip it in the bud'. I need to buy a tub o'greens, make an exercise plan for September ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Susan~good for you to mention planning! I should do up a month long plan for myself this weekend!!! I've been bad about planning my meals lately and that may be part of the reason I'm up a pound today. Our 5 pound race will not be won that way!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #35  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
This is how I feel. I want to get to the point where I won't use my scale every day and I won't write down what I eat every day. I'll be able to use good judgment without using my scale and my calculator.
I have no plan to get to this point. I've been doing this for two years (yes, I'm slow at weight loss--it's just the last five lbs that are taking so long) and I've found that not weighing, measuring, and journaling is a quick way for me to gain lbs. Also, I've incorporated the weighing, measuring, and journaling so well into my life that it isn't a chore anymore. It's just something I do, like going to the gym or washing the dishes. In fact, I like knowing exactly what I've eaten and being able to track my protein, fat, and carbs intake. It also allows me to eat without guilt and anxiety because I know what I'm eating isn't going to make me gain weight.

But I'm not doing this for the rest of my life; when I get to 80, all bets are off! I'm going to buy myself Entemann's coffee cakes and be short (I've already got the short thing down) and pudgey, just like my grandma.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #36  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Barbara - It is nice knowing what I've eaten. I started journaling 3 and 1/2 years ago. During the times when I've gone a week or 2 without journaling or measuring, I've gained weight. When I've gotten tired of measuring or I've decided to eat according to hunger (what I think is hunger), the weight started to creep back up. Sometimes I still feel like journaling is a chore. But my food scale is kinda fun to use.

Last night I had a lot of cake. It was my grandfather's birthday and I got carried away. Then I went way over calories when I lost control and ate a big bowl of ice cream. I did not need that many scoops. Then I had a slice of pie.

I'm not going to beat myself up because I did do well at the Olive Garden a few days ago and today I turned down a co-worker's birthday cake at a meeting. Every time someone gave me a slice I handed it to someone else.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

I'm not going to beat myself up because I did do well at the Olive Garden a few days ago and today I turned down a co-worker's birthday cake at a meeting. Every time someone gave me a slice I handed it to someone else.
GOOD! You're balancing good days and bad days and it will all equal out.

This is my goal after I get down to just under 130. I know you have to measure, calculate, write stuff down if you want to lose, but I don't think you have to be so meticulous when you're at goal.

I think I can maintain my weight with a weigh-in once a week and just by using all the stuff I'm doing to lose without being totally obsessive about it.

And I agree - my food scale is really cute too (AND it folds up )

Dagmar
Old 09-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #38  

Good morning!

And now I'm on the day shift. My lunch looks good and as long as I go to bed in decent time, I shouldn't stuff my face at midnight like last week. I know what we're having for supper. The trick is making myself exercise later in the day.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #39  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Default Disappointed and frustrated

I had to move my ticker up 2 pounds today. I w/i on Mondays and because I had TOM on the scale with me I thought I would not move my ticker until this coming Monday. BUT, I was at the doctor's office yesterday, TOM is no longer here, and I still weigh 156 lbs. So, the very same scale that allowed me to move my ticker to 154 has me moving it up two pounds to 156.

I have to say, I am frustrated. I am having a hard time keeping a positive attitude. HELP!! Since I started with 3FC, I have lost one pound. I just can't see being able to change my eating habits enough to get this weight off. I could list a myriad of reasons as to why I haven't been able to follow through enough on my eating plan, but that doesn't make me feel good, because all the reasons are because of life. Life is still going to be around as long as I'm here.

I have a cold (Day 3), so I can't even exercise really, because my body is so run down. Exercise at least makes me feel like I am doing something right. Oh boy, am I glum today!
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Carolyn~I'm so sorry to hear your frustration. Keep at it, though. One day things will look up. I sometimes look at it like this: There is ALWAYS someone worse off that yourself. It at least helps keep the pity fairy away!

We lost our power yesterday at 3 PM and it didn't come back on until 7 AM. My run was horrible because I left so late and it was so hot outside. Sleep was practically non existent (who can sleep in 85 degrees with no air moving around?). We couldn't open the doors and windows because it was over 100 when we went to bed. Because we had no power, we went out to dinner and a movie which meant 2 meals off plan which equated to my weight going up as well. I'm trying to blame it on the fact that I sat up most of the night drinking water to keep from being so hot. yeah, that's it, water retention!!!

I'm off to the showers now! Have a great weekend!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #41  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Default Feeling more sane

I am feeling more sane, thank goodness. Thanks for the ear.
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 AM   #42  

Good morning! I guess I didn't go to bed in time ... peanutbutter on toast.

Carolyn, I'm glad you feel better. And if typing a wee bit of a vent here helps you ... we'll listen.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 AM   #43  

Red face ALC last night

Went to the EX (Canadian National Exhibition) last night and rewarded myself for surviving the rides (DH so loves to rock the little cars, spin them upside down etc.).

Planned to just have a dozen Tiny Tom donuts (they really are tiny - size of a silver dollar) but then we went to the food building. I ordered a "swiss" waffle with ice cream and chocolate . The ice cream part was good but the waffle was awful (say that out loud ).

I ate the stupid thing. Didn't want it but I'd just paid $5 for it. DUMB!

And then we split an order of home cut fries to get the taste of the awful waffle out of my mouth.

Back OP today - weigh in #2 is tomorrow - and we're going for a 4 hour kayak today and an afternoon long hike tomorrow. I think it will all balance out and then no more "food holidays" til Thanksgiving.

Dagmar (still alive )
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #44  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Hi Everybody!

I'm back after a week on the glorious Bruce Peninsula...weather was beautiful, cottage was beautiful...ahhh. Doesn't make me want to go back to work/school this week though!

Food wasn't toooo good...but I guess it could have been worse? I did get a few runs in as well, which was good. I haven't weighed myself yet, because I'm not at my apartment (which is where my scale is...) but I do feel like I've gained weight. Oh well...back on track this week...it will be okay!
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #45  
Want to be thin!

S/C/G: 156/146/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone. I'm back from my two week vacation. The beach was beautiful and we only had one gloomy day!! It was actually nice not being obsessed with the scale since I didn't have one. I only had 4 rest days and worked my heart out!! I am very proud that I stuck with it (I'm sure the downstairs neighbors did not like me) I hate to report that I sabotaged it all by drinking in the evenings. Eh, not sweating it. I had fun! My goal is to continue working out and eating well but limiting my wine to weekends only. I don't plan on giving it up.

For the month of August, I have lost 3 lbs (grrr) and 3.25 inches. I'm also seeing some definition which is exciting. I did have to move my ticker up a pound because I think that the one day I weighed 147 was a fluke. It never stuck after I ate that Chinese dinner weeks ago. D'oh!

I am also quitting smoking. Mon. is my last day. Should be an interesting month. Ughh.

Mudpie - Hey, at least you had a great time. Don't worry about the slip. It happens to the best of us. Today sounds like a blast! Have fun!
feelingroovy is offline   Reply With Quote