Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #31  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

From what you ladies are saying about cranberry juice, I think I'll try some mixed with water. Even though I drink 8-9 glasses of water a day, sometimes I don't feel hydrated. That makes me want pop or a big glass of juice.

You won't believe this - I can't stand the taste of cashews.....or almonds, pecans, walnuts.....I'll eat peanuts if I'm really hungry, though. I grew up with my mom and my grandfather eating nuts all the time, though. Everyone I know loves snacking on nuts.

Barbara - I know what you mean about those days when you're hungry all day. I'm sure it's boredom when it happens to me, too.

thinnythighs - It sounds like you're having great progress!

Allison - It sounds like you have a good wine substitute.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #32  

Height: 5'6

Barbara: Sounds like a common sense eating plan to me! Thanks.
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #33  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Aggrevated with myself...

Why dont I have any self-control?

I'm so aggrevated. I was doing SO WELL today...then my friend asked me if I wanted to go out mini-golfing, and I thought it would be fun, so we went. Afterwards she asked if I wanted to get some coffee, and I thought, sure, coffee is fine. BUT we ended up going to this gourmet dessert place, and splitting this crepe with nutella ice cream. Why cant I just say no? I'm undoing all of my progress

I'm really frustrated with myself. I really want to lose these last ten pounds or so...I'm not happy in my body, and yet I can't let go of the junk. I'm so happy with how I'm doing exercise wise, now if only I could get on the food train as well

*sigh* I guess that was a bit of a rant.
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good evening my dears.
No restraint? I dunno .. I just had three slices of bread with peanutbutter. I'm sure I'll pull out of this overeating spell but I wish I could do it quicker.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #35  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I thought my calories were going to come in high today (another day where I just felt hungry all day and dinner was a little higher in calories than usual), but the recipe I made for dinner ended up making enough for six servings, instead of the four I had anticipated. Score! It's Tamale Pie and at four servings it is close to 400 calories a serving, but divided into six servings (and perfectly reasonably sized), it is only 270 calories a serving. That's an extra 130 calories. Woo-hoo! Plus, now I don't have to make dinner for two more nights! Double score!

I don't hear any siren songs from celery or apples, but I did get these little tiny pluots at the farmers market and they sure are tasty. They are just 1 1/2 oz each--little baby pluots--so cute. The farmer said they taste like candy and he was right! They are like eating candy. But without the guilt!

Cashews are evil. I absolutely cannot have them in the house. Honey-roasted peanuts too.

Stiebena--One half of a crepe with nutella ice cream (boy does that sound good, there's no way I could have turned that down. I love nutella! ) does not undo all your progress. I doubt it even sets you back; it just turns today into a maintainance day instead of a losing day. Don't beat yourself up; these things happen to the best of us. You'll get back on track. (And so will you Susan!)

My cramps definitely aren't food related. I run in the morning and don't eat beforehand. That's been my pattern all winter and I haven't had a problem until now. I've also tried altering my breathing pattern and it hasn't helped. I had a problem with cramping last summer too, which is why I think it is heat-related. I rarely if ever have problems with cramping in the winter.

michelinwoman--It's totally common sense. I was doing it before I had ever heard of it. But now that I know it's an actual strategy, I've been trying to pay more attention to finding high volume/low calorie foods.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up Some days the food wins and . . .

Stiebena Half a crepe is not blowing your diet. 4 crepes with Nutella and ice cream is blowing your diet. We all have days where the food wins and days where we win. The trick is to have way more of the latter and less of the former.

BlueTo Blue Pluot ? What is that please? And could your cramps have something to do with breathing in polluted air? I found, when I used to jog, that on the really humid ugly days I got stitches just from my lungs fighting to not inhale all of the crud in the air. In winter this is not a problem beacuse the air is always dry and relatively clean.

SusanB 3 slices of bread with PB is not blowing your maintenance. Eating the whole jar of peanut butter is blowing your maintenance. Some days the food wins and some days we do. Is there an echo in this post?

Dagmar (visited by the UNfat fairy who took away the 2 "road" lbs.)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #37  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Thanks for the support guys No, I guess you're right....my 1/2 crepe didn't really blow my diet. The only thing that worries me, is that this seems to be happening on a more regular basis, whereas before I was doing well on a regular basis. Bah-Humbug. Well, today is another day...perhaps if I'm extra good today I can still lose.

Barbara - hmmm, so I have no idea what to do about the heat related cramps then The only thing I could suggest is when its really hot, running inside, either on a treadmill or on a track. Its not as much fun, but it might make things less painful.

Mudpie - I don't know what a pluot is either! heehee

Well good luck to everybody today...and thanks again for your words of wisdom
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're right. I ran up to 2000 cals yesterday. Not as bad as I'd thought and no biggy.
I think today that if the floor is still sooo quiet, I'll ask to come home at 7. I'd be way better off with another walk than popcorn.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #39  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning featherweights!

I'm off to the gym, then signing off for a while. We're moving tonight -- flying out on the redeye -- and the wireless router has to get packed. Could be a few days before we get our act together enough to get back on line.

Until then, have a *great* rest of the week, all! Kim.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~thank heavens the fairy visited! Congrats!

I did VERY well yesterday even though I was STUFFED after dinner. 1243 calories, 29% fat! And no alcohol. I stopped at the store and stocked up on Clamato juice.

Ilene~I have done the cranberry (100%) mixed with water. It's still a little bitter and was told to add a little stevia to it to make it a little sweeter. I still couldn't get myself to drink much of it--I guess I just prefer water.

I wasn't at all hungry for breakfast this morning. I was fixing lunch for DH and myself (carrots, celery, peapods and 13 big shrimp with cocktail sauce and yogurt for "dessert"). Nothing sounded good. So I peeled a hardboiled egg but thought that wouldn't be enough to sustain me through the morning. So I put PB on a flatout wrap and rolled it all up around a banana. Then I started counting it all up. Okay, 1--I'm not hungry and I'm eating anyway and 2--this is going to be really high in calories. Gawd. So, the dogs got 1/3 of it!!! Now I have to re-figure all those calories.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #41  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It's certainly possible that my cramps could be caused by pollution; with us being in the middle of a valley (hence the name, Silicon Valley) we do definitely have problems with smog being trapped here in the summer (heck, in the winter too sometimes). That would explain why going over to the bay to run, where there is usually less smog, seems to help. But, if that is the cause, it's not any easier to address than cramps caused by heat. Maybe I should wear a gas mask when I run. I'll probaby stick it out until it gets in the 80s (if it ever does, I swear, we are having such a cold summer) then give up and do my cardio in the gym.

Mudpie--A pluot is a cross between a plum (plu) and an apricot (ot). They look like plums and there are a much of different varieties. Some are bright green, some are purple, some are reddish, some a big, some are cute little tiny miniatures. They all taste awesome, more like a plum than an apricot but without the tart skin. If you ever get a chance to try one, especially from a farmstand where it is fresh off the tree, I highly recommend them. They are becoming very popular around here; every fruit stand at the farmers market sells them and I've even seen them at Safeway and Albertsons.

alinnell--I know what you mean. The idea of a wrap around a banana and peanut butter does sound so good, but it would be so high in calories for so little food. You're looking at at least 200-300 calories for the banana and the peanut butter alone, not even counting the wrap. My entire breakfast, which is a full cup of yogurt, 1/2 cup of cereal, and 2 oz of raspberries is lower in calories than that.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default Skinny people/fat pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

I wasn't at all hungry for breakfast this morning. I was fixing lunch for DH and myself (carrots, celery, peapods and 13 big shrimp with cocktail sauce and yogurt for "dessert"). Nothing sounded good. So I peeled a hardboiled egg but thought that wouldn't be enough to sustain me through the morning. So I put PB on a flatout wrap and rolled it all up around a banana. Then I started counting it all up. Okay, 1--I'm not hungry and I'm eating anyway and 2--this is going to be really high in calories. Gawd. So, the dogs got 1/3 of it!!! Now I have to re-figure all those calories.
Are your dogs overweight? Just wondering how many people who are dieting have "fat" pets due to the ditching/sharing of "bad" foods? I have a fat cat but he doesn't understand the concept of "people food" and only eats kibble. Lots and lots of kibble if I don't control him.

I have no worries - no dog any more. But I have , on occasion, fed some little extras to my clients' pets (who are all shameless begging retrievers drooling all over me whenever I eat)

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Are your dogs overweight? Just wondering how many people who are dieting have "fat" pets due to the ditching/sharing of "bad" foods? I have a fat cat but he doesn't understand the concept of "people food" and only eats kibble. Lots and lots of kibble if I don't control him.

I have no worries - no dog any more. But I have , on occasion, fed some little extras to my clients' pets (who are all shameless begging retrievers drooling all over me whenever I eat)

Dagmar
My dogs are svelt! You can feel, but not see, their ribs. They are the field variety of lab (tall and lean) and each weighs about 78 pounds. The yellow one did get fat once (topped out at 103) and the vet had us put him on a diet (reduce kibble by 1 c per meal and replace it with a carrot). We do this for both dogs still! I buy carrots in 10 pound bags at Costco. Sometimes I think people look at me weird because I'll buy the 10 pound bag AND a huge bag of mini carrots (for me).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #44  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default 6-12

Last two days have been bad, but could have been alot worse. Sarted working full time today, so alot of the stress disappeared, but was unprepared for lunch. Will be ready for the rest of the week and bring my own.

BMI: 24.7
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #45  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Default Feel young and attractive tonight!

I had a fella whistle at me tonight. I was shocked! It has been 15 years since that has happened, I swear! Put a smile on my face! He leaned out his window and asked if I was single. I blushed and said "No." But, hey, talk about making my night!
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote